[RP] Grimnir's Fury

Proposals after the two week discussion period will be moved to this sub-forum for internal review.
dansari

[RP] Grimnir's Fury

Post#1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Grimnir's Fury is a poor 13pt ability that RP has lived with for a long time because the Grungni tree has always been viable. To attempt to break up the monotony and start to make DPS RP more attractive for warband play, I'd like to propose a rework of this ability.

Instead of copy/pasting Winds of Insanity, which in its own right is a very good ability, what about the opposite effect:

You stand your ground, calling upon the power of Grimnir to etch battle runes into all enemies within 30ft. The runes pulse every second, inflicting X damage and rooting players in place with an unbreakable binding, bypassing their immunities. Targets cannot be rooted more than once every 1.5 seconds. 20 AP/sec, 26s cooldown, 6s channel. The spell may be toggled off to regain your movement.
<Salt Factory>

Ads
Mavella

Re: [RP] Grimnir's Fury

Post#2 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:07 pm

What duration would you propose for each tick of the root? Depending on that duration and whether or not it breaks on damage it could be borderline overpowered(certainly not without risk given the short range). A 6 sec essentially unescapable root would be vastly superior ability compared to an area denial ability like winds of insanity depending on application. That level of impairment is boardering on or may be surpassing morale ability in power in my mind.

Some other questions worth considering.

Would the RP be allowed to cast during it like WoI? Would interrupts break the channel? Is there a capped number of targets it can potentially root with each tick? I'm not sure if WoI has a cap amount of enemies affected by each tick of the KB.

Thanks.

MedV

Post#3 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:18 pm

How long is the bind? And when you say unbreakable are you using "dwarven terms" or do you mean even when they take damage they are rooted. Lets say the root was one second. Wouldnt that mean that every other second everyone in a 30 foot radius would be rooted or 1 second on then 1.5 secs of immunity than 1 more second of root then 1.5 of immmunity then a final 1 second root (as the skill is 6 seconds).

This is a great idea and I love the theoretical implications. But i feel like if this goes through to gameplay the best WB would have 10 of these RP's just spamming this ability constantly rooting the enemy and dealing damage (and if it was really unbreakable it would be one hell of a fight). I do love developing healers to become more viable at DPS I just think if we go too far down this road why would anyone pick either an MDPS or a RDPS. The best 6 mans would be 2 tanks 3 dps healers and 1 straight healer. These dps healers are bascially straight dps who are able to heal themselves as well as group mates and rez.
The King.

dansari

Post#4 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:31 pm

I'm proposing each tick last 1s and players can't be rooted more than once every 1.5s. I was debating with myself if that's OP or not and haven't really decided given that it's 30ft. It could be, and then a "once every 2s" would probably be more in line. On a 6s "channel" that would mean you could root at application, at 1.5s, at 3s, and at 4.5s. If it were once every 2s that would take it from 4 ticks to 3 ticks (application, 2s, 4s), or if you walked into the root since it pulses every second: 1s, 3s, and 5s. I'm envisioning that the RP wouldn't be able to cast anything during the channel, but don't believe it should be breakable. As far as a capped number, I was thinking of keeping it in line with other aoe abilities at 9 players. I'm not sure if WOI has a cap.

Yes, by unbreakable I propose that it would restrict movement, not break on damage application, but being a root it would allow you to cast abilities.
<Salt Factory>

Mavella

Post#5 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:42 pm

I think if there's a 1sec duration with a 1.5 to 2 secs between application it will allow the targets to either attempt to escape before the entire duration elapses or move closer to the RP to attempt defend yourself and punish the RP a bit. I know with WoI if you time it well enough/get lucky you can get a hit in between KB ticks on a mdps which is think is important from keeping it being 6 sec of mdps immunity.

I'd say it'd be worth trying out. I don't think I've ever seen anyone successfully use the current iteration of the ability to res a mass amount of people.

roadkillrobin

Post#6 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Way to good imo.
No Escape is hell to deal with as a Morale 3 ability and this is basicly the same but able to be used as an opener.

The CC aspect of it is just MUCH better then WoI as WoI kinda does the oposite of what you wanna do as a bomb group, by pushing players away from the focused AoE location while this would just keep em locked in the location.

catholicism198

Post#7 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 pm

That is BEYOND oped. An unbreakable/undefendable AE root? The only roots in game that don't break on damage are morale ones and even those do not bypass immunity and can be broken with root breakers. If it was a one second root that broke on damage that wasn't un defendable and bypassed immunity- than it would be worth discussing but this is more of a morale 10 than a mastery ability

Glorian

Post#8 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Mavella wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:42 pm I think if there's a 1sec duration with a 1.5 to 2 secs between application it will allow the targets to either attempt to escape before the entire duration elapses or move closer to the RP to attempt defend yourself and punish the RP a bit. I know with WoI if you time it well enough/get lucky you can get a hit in between KB ticks on a mdps which is think is important from keeping it being 6 sec of mdps immunity.

I'd say it'd be worth trying out. I don't think I've ever seen anyone successfully use the current iteration of the ability to res a mass amount of people.
Actually the Bitterstone Thunderers use it regularly if we are getting whiped to use the self Rez Rune on 3 or 4 runis on command at the same time. Then Grimnirs Fury, and then half of the warband stands again. ;)

BUT more than once our warband or another Order warbands caster backline has been wrecked by a zealot with that no immunity chain knockbacks.

Or knocking a warband away from a postern thus one zealot stopping a whole warband from getting into a Keep.

So I would kill from a warband Runi point of view to have the ability to do something in the first line to an enemy warband.

Be it a chain knockback, or the here weaker version of a chain root.
Rootet casters can still cast and healers still heal.

Ads
lefze
Suspended

Post#9 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:06 pm

roadkillrobin wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 pm Way to good imo.
No Escape is hell to deal with as a Morale 3 ability and this is basicly the same but able to be used as an opener.

The CC aspect of it is just MUCH better then WoI as WoI kinda does the oposite of what you wanna do as a bomb group, by pushing players away from the focused AoE location while this would just keep em locked in the location.
No Escape breaks on damage though, so not comparable. Sorc M4 doesn't though and the duration is also far superior to the ability proposed here.

I agree that the proposed ability can be better than Winds, but from a dps pov zealot is far superior to runie anyways. The issue I have with the proposal is that it would mainly be picked up by heal runies, and those aren't the target of the proposal at all.
Rip Phalanx

dansari

Post#10 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:08 pm

roadkillrobin wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 pm Way to good imo.

Well yes, but to counter: you don't use WOI in the way you would use this proposed ability. WOI allows you to break up a lot of things: tank walls, morale pushes, raze drops, etc. You don't use it when you want to focus targets, you use it when you want to break up clumps (or save yourself from trains)
<Salt Factory>