Recent Topics

Ads

Your New Filter

Let's talk about... everything else
Stahn123
Banned

Re: Your New Filter

Post#11 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:27 am

Yeah, I'll come back to the game when ya'll aren't trying to be the "thought police". I don't need someone else thinking they're in charge of what I can say or see, that isn't up for you to decide. There is already a filter in the settings, remind players it's there and let them utilize what is already in place if it bothers them so much. If they turned it off, they turned it off for a reason and they can make up their own minds. Ignore works too.

Good luck with your Ministry of Truth/Love thing you got going. I don't see that backfiring at ALL.

Ads
Sulorie

Post#12 » Tue May 03, 2022 6:16 am

Stahn123 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:27 am Yeah, I'll come back to the game when ya'll aren't trying to be the "thought police". I don't need someone else thinking they're in charge of what I can say or see, that isn't up for you to decide. There is already a filter in the settings, remind players it's there and let them utilize what is already in place if it bothers them so much. If they turned it off, they turned it off for a reason and they can make up their own minds. Ignore works too.

Good luck with your Ministry of Truth/Love thing you got going. I don't see that backfiring at ALL.
Well, you agreed to such terms when you signed in. Btw, to joke about other players or to troll them you don't have to use bad language.
Dying is no option.

GamesBond
Former Staff

Post#13 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:36 am

Stahn123 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:27 am I don't need someone else thinking they're in charge of what I can say or see, that isn't up for you to decide. There is already a filter in the settings, remind players it's there and let them utilize what is already in place if it bothers them so much. If they turned it off, they turned it off for a reason and they can make up their own minds. Ignore works too.
We're still optimizing the filter and at the moment it hides some words while it mutes players based on other words, such as ones related to racism, sexism or anything that really violates the minimum level of decency and respect one may show publicly. The game is rated 13+ and we moderate it accordingly, however, the filter only applies to public chat: We're not directly moderating your private chat, guild chat, alliance chat, warband chat or party chat. We understand it's a close environment and it's moderated by the players, through the report function.

flux

Post#14 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:46 am

I really appreciate the new filter. Thanks for adding it RoR team.

Stahn123
Banned

Post#15 » Tue May 03, 2022 2:26 pm

GamesBond wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:36 am
Stahn123 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:27 am I don't need someone else thinking they're in charge of what I can say or see, that isn't up for you to decide. There is already a filter in the settings, remind players it's there and let them utilize what is already in place if it bothers them so much. If they turned it off, they turned it off for a reason and they can make up their own minds. Ignore works too.
We're still optimizing the filter and at the moment it hides some words while it mutes players based on other words, such as ones related to racism, sexism or anything that really violates the minimum level of decency and respect one may show publicly. The game is rated 13+ and we moderate it accordingly, however, the filter only applies to public chat: We're not directly moderating your private chat, guild chat, alliance chat, warband chat or party chat. We understand it's a close environment and it's moderated by the players, through the report function.
The problem of "the minimum level of decency" is a matter of opinion. All you're doing is setting players up for spam reports when someone disagrees with them and they use a "no no" word of inflection. I've been muted for days for giving an opinion that used no profanity or disrespect at all in the past. All this does is make it even worse. I'll pass on the shadow-mute/bans, I've had enough of that from other forms of media already. You're basically setting up a system similar to the types governments are now implementing that are receiving push back from their citizens and expect them to not make parallels. I don't even use the language very often, but it's not about that. It's about already having a filter in place and then FORCING another even if the first was disengaged by free will. Who are you to tell me what I can choose and not choose to see? Now, flip the table around, do you really want ME in charge of what YOU can see, read, or be exposed too? It's the golden rule, and a whole lot of people are failing to grasp the concept of it.

sundey

Post#16 » Tue May 03, 2022 2:45 pm

Stahn123 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:26 pm
The problem of "the minimum level of decency" is a matter of opinion. All you're doing is setting players up for spam reports when someone disagrees with them and they use a "no no" word of inflection. I've been muted for days for giving an opinion that used no profanity or disrespect at all in the past. All this does is make it even worse. I'll pass on the shadow-mute/bans, I've had enough of that from other forms of media already. You're basically setting up a system similar to the types governments are now implementing that are receiving push back from their citizens and expect them to not make parallels. I don't even use the language very often, but it's not about that. It's about already having a filter in place and then FORCING another even if the first was disengaged by free will. Who are you to tell me what I can choose and not choose to see? Now, flip the table around, do you really want ME in charge of what YOU can see, read, or be exposed too? It's the golden rule, and a whole lot of people are failing to grasp the concept of it.
Spoiler:
ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD
Out of curiosity, what would be your solution to someone repeatedly spamming chat as above where the comments are not just expletives but, for example, racist/homophobic slurs and calls to burn black/gay people? Note that your proposed solution should take into account that the GMs are volunteers and cannot be expected to have a 24/7 presence.

Setting that aside, you seem to have quite a limited view of freedom of expression. If there are issues with the specific implementation, as Gamesbond has acknowledged, that's one thing, but to expect to have no boundaries or limitations at all on a platform like this - if that's what you're advocating? - is bizarre.

Morradin

Post#17 » Tue May 03, 2022 3:50 pm

Stahn123 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:27 am Yeah, I'll come back to the game when ya'll aren't trying to be the "thought police". I don't need someone else thinking they're in charge of what I can say or see, that isn't up for you to decide. There is already a filter in the settings, remind players it's there and let them utilize what is already in place if it bothers them so much. If they turned it off, they turned it off for a reason and they can make up their own minds. Ignore works too.

Quick little life lesson

1- When you run your own server, you make the decisions. Right now you are a guest in someone else's server and game.
2- There is only one place you can say whatever you want and not have anyone react. In your own home, when you are all alone. Anything said in any context where at least one other person can see it or read, and you invite them to comment, condemn, or ostracize you for it.
There is NO PLACE anywhere in the world where this does not hold true.

If you do not like this, ohh well. Life is life.

Arbich
Suspended

Post#18 » Tue May 03, 2022 3:58 pm

While I do agree with your general sentiment about the troublesome development of freedom of expression, this is a private server where there was never free speech and the filter only applies to public chat. Its really not that big of a deal.
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

Ads
GamesBond
Former Staff

Post#19 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:40 pm

Spoiler:

What are you talking about? We're not controlling what you can see, read or "expose". The current built-in filter does not include extreme cases and thus we've strengthen it.
We're simply putting symbols instead of a dozen words, while other extreme words will trigger a 1 hour mute. If you believe there's a word that should be whitelisted, then reach out to us and we'll do the necessary changes when you're right.

I've been muted for days for giving an opinion that used no profanity or disrespect at all in the past. All this does is make it even worse.

Your logic is flawed because having a filter actually decreases the amount of mutes given by GMs, as your phrase will now have the 'bad' word replaced with "****" so it's not actually making it worse, but better. The first time you were muted wouldn't have happened if there was a filter, and you actually were toxic towards another player. The second time you were muted was due to escalation and your false accusations towards the team, it happens on both sides and we're not really worried about it but you have to respect the ToS you agreed on by playing on Return of Reckoning.

The problem of "the minimum level of decency" is a matter of opinion.
No it's not a matter of opinion. The minimum is set by our rules and all the players and team members must follow them. We've never had issues but it seems that you're keen on using some nasty words out there and the filter is really preventing you from doing that, which is good.

If all the above and the replies from different players are still not convenient for you then I wish you all the best in your next adventure because there's no room for extreme toxicity and racism on our server.

Stahn123
Banned

Post#20 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:46 pm

sundey wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:45 pm

Spoiler:
Out of curiosity, what would be your solution to someone repeatedly spamming chat as above where the comments are not just expletives but, for example, racist/homophobic slurs and calls to burn black/gay people? Note that your proposed solution should take into account that the GMs are volunteers and cannot be expected to have a 24/7 presence.

Setting that aside, you seem to have quite a limited view of freedom of expression. If there are issues with the specific implementation, as Gamesbond has acknowledged, that's one thing, but to expect to have no boundaries or limitations at all on a platform like this - if that's what you're advocating? - is bizarre.
My view is not limited. It's that you should be free to express it regardless. If someone doesn't want to see it, then they should block you. They decide what they see, not someone else for them. You block the offender yourself if you have a problem with what they say. This is not a difficult concept to understand. There is already a filter in place that the above suggested words could have been added too and had the same effect, if someone turned off said filter of their own accord, then they are choosing to see things with which they may not agree or find offensive. You turn the original filter on and your problem goes away or choose to leave it off. This is a matter of personal choice vs unnecessary over reaction. If you're THAT sensitive, maybe a game and story that involves the literal drinking of blood by minions of chaos, ripping bodies limb from limb, boiling their skulls and putting them on pikes, etc isn't something you should be playing. If you can participate in all that but you're offended by a few words you can ignore, the problem might be the way you see the things you dislike and your inability to cope with thoughts that aren't echoed by your own.