Recent Topics

Ads

Question about lore of WAR. Need some help.

Creative minds can display their work here, from images and videos to custom addons and other software applications related to RoR or War.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Kushido

Question about lore of WAR. Need some help.

Post#1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:15 pm

So i need some help with lore about WAR. I didn't read complete lore and have only "basic" vision about history of this world and etc. But im interesting in some specific moments which might be in this big world.
Do the lore have somewhere moments with dialog between Karl Franz and Tchar'zanek?
If they never faced each other, then im interesting in their monologs about this total war.
From Tchar'zanek im interesting when he speaking about the beginning of this conflict. Also maybe when he's talking about weaknesses of Order.
From Karl Franz im interesting about moments when he talking about uniting with dwarfs and elfs, about the danger from Chaos side.
!Not the history timeline, im talking about "their real talks"!

I'll appreciate for links but please, don't post links to whole lore history (atleast give number of pages/lines where in text i can find answers on this questions). Because i'm not a native english speaker and don't have so much time to feel whole weigh of this big world.

Hope i made this topic in right place :)

Ads
ph4ntaman

Re: Question about lore of WAR. Need some help.

Post#2 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:29 pm

My two cents are: look the first version of "Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay" pen and paper RPG (which, btw, I have played extensively).

The history of the Warhammer universe is summed up very well there.
Phantasmaghori
RooR - Italian Guild Officer, RoR's mad Aghori Zealot XD
In game recruiters: Dreaadlock (Guildmaster), Phantasmaghori, Smogh

Coryphaus

Post#3 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:37 pm

their were 3 novels written about the WAR timeline, i belive empire in chaos has dialog by karl franz

Smithbeard

Post#4 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:45 pm

ph4ntaman wrote:My two cents are: look the first version of "Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay" pen and paper RPG (which, btw, I have played extensively).

This probably wouldn't answer the OPs questions, as he's asking about the lore of Warhammer Online which takes part in an alternate timeline to the official one.

The best chance for specific details of WAR lore is - as said above - the novels about it. I'm not sure about any actual dialogue between the leaders and even less sure about cross faction talk; Warhammer isn't like a comic book setting where you have superheroes and villains smack talking each other, it tends to be grittier than that.

Luth

Post#5 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:24 pm

ph4ntaman

Post#6 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:48 pm

Smithbeard wrote:
ph4ntaman wrote:My two cents are: look the first version of "Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay" pen and paper RPG (which, btw, I have played extensively).

This probably wouldn't answer the OPs questions, as he's asking about the lore of Warhammer Online which takes part in an alternate timeline to the official one.

The best chance for specific details of WAR lore is - as said above - the novels about it. I'm not sure about any actual dialogue between the leaders and even less sure about cross faction talk; Warhammer isn't like a comic book setting where you have superheroes and villains smack talking each other, it tends to be grittier than that.

I thought that being WAR online under Karl Franz's rule, which WHFRP is, too, the timeline would have been the same. Also, I found many links while playing WAR to things I knew from PnP playing with my pals and to info published on White Dwarf magazine back then. Reuniting Dwarves and Elves after their Incident (Elves not intervening in the Karaz'a'Karak massacre) was a big issue in the PnP game, too.

Anyhow, maybe, you're right and the info I refer to is not enough. I pointed to it because I remember many dialogues involving the Emperor.
Phantasmaghori
RooR - Italian Guild Officer, RoR's mad Aghori Zealot XD
In game recruiters: Dreaadlock (Guildmaster), Phantasmaghori, Smogh

Kushido

Post#7 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Kushido wrote: !Not the history timeline, im talking about "their real talks"!
meh, i think i must make this part more big...

i'm not asking about links or names of full lore history timelines/websites, ppl, cmon :lol:
i'm asking about Karl/Zanek's talks to each other or about why they starting campaign against, or why is "chaos realm going to drown empire in their own blood" or something like this
not the historical overview but speeches of them

like the moment
King hall. All gathered here today bla bla bla.
- We unite today for bla bla bla... - says Karl Franz
or anyway no one understand what i'm talking about :)?

Coryphaus

Post#8 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:35 pm

I own the entire age of recking seirs as ebooks let me quote the chapters now that im on my labtop; where they talk, only it happens twice in the entire 3 books does it speak from the leaders perspective which tbt is a real waste considering that that too was only in the first book of the entire series

Teclis and Finubar
Spoiler:
High in the tortured night sky, the sickle moon burned coldly. The vast spires of rain clouds being driven towards Ulthuan from the east were edged with silver. Beneath the boiling tumult of the heavens, the ink-dark sea rolled and swelled uneasily. A storm was coming, and a mighty one at that. In the ragged gaps between the massed ranks of cloud, the few stars glimmered faintly. It was as if a mantle of darkness had been cast across the whole world.

The soaring Tower of Hoeth stood against the maelstrom in defiant isolation. Around it, the winds raged and moaned, tearing past the ivory sheen of the enchanted parapets. At the very pinnacle, a dim light betrayed the presence of figures within. Even at so late an hour, the topmost chamber of the slender citadel was occupied. Far above the sleeping fields and forests of Ulthuan, a figure gazed out to sea, his hair rising and falling in the wind.

At length, the Phoenix King Finubar, called the Seafarer by his people, stepped away from the window of the narrow chamber and turned towards the candlelight of the chamber. The storm continued to rage outside, and rainwater whipped on to the smooth stone. Finubar walked to a low wooden chair, and sat wearily. He wore deep blue robes, and a simple silver band sat lightly on his forehead. His long dark hair hung loosely to his shoulder.

Embroidered in threads of pure silver, three runes had been woven into the fine silks of his mantle. Just under the collar was Asur, the symbol of Asuryan and the emblem of the people of Ulthuan. Below that was the ancient symbol of the mighty dragons of flame, Caladai. Over the king’s heart, however, was placed a smaller rune, Quyl-Isha, the sigil of enduring hope, mourning and the remembrance of the lost. Given Finubar’s air of melancholy and introspection, this rune seemed the most appropriate. As the chill wind swirled and ruffled his robes, the symbols moved as if they had a life of their own. Slowly, animated by an unseen force, the ornately carved windows shut silently, and the icy blasts from outside were stilled.

The king was not alone. Opposite him sat a slight figure, a mage. He was wreathed in white, and many dozen sigils encrusted his elaborate garb. They seemed to shift strangely in the flickering light of the slender candles around him. Unlike the tall, proud figure of the Phoenix King, the mage sat hunched in his seat and clutched a simple white staff. His breathing was shallow and hesitant, and his face was lined and pale. His eyes were sunk deep beneath his brow. Though his robes were heavy and thick against the cold, it was evident from the way they hung on him that his limbs were slender even for one of his kind.

The mage raised his finger a hair’s breadth, and the latch on the window snapped shut. He collected together some leaves of parchment disturbed by the wind, and placed them neatly on a small table beside his chair. Neither he nor the king spoke, and the silence about them hung heavily. Only the faint moan of the wind and the thin breathing of the mage punctuated the quiet.

Finally, Finubar sighed, and his expression moved from contemplation to one of sharp resolve.

‘My Lord Teclis,’ he said, his rich voice filling the narrow chamber. ‘The night is waning. Despite all we’ve discussed, I don’t yet know your mind.’

Teclis, greatest of all asur mages and Loremaster of the Tower, looked troubled. He clutched his staff ever more tightly before responding.

‘The world is changing,’ he said, his voice scratchy and sparse. ‘Prediction is hard. It is as if all light and heat are draining away, and only darkness and cold remain. Never has wisdom seemed so unclear to me, and never have I felt less worthy to be the adviser of kings.’

Finubar pursed his lips thoughtfully.

‘If you can’t see clearly in such times, then no one can,’ he said. ‘More than anyone else you’ve earned the right to weariness, though I don’t quite believe you’ve succumbed to it yet. Tell me what you think.’

Teclis exhaled softly, and rummaged once more through the pile of parchment beside him. Some leaves were written in the elegant hand of the asur. Others were inscribed on crumbling vellum sheets in the florid, extravagant script of the Empire of Men. These had been encrusted with wax seals and stamps of office. All were missives dealing with the same topic: the war in the east. Tidings had been carried to Hoeth and Lothern from all over the world, and all had the same message. The forces of disorder were gathering again, extending their hated mantras of war once more to trouble the realms of the free peoples.

‘The Emperor Karl Franz has written to you again,’ said Teclis, drawing a gilt-edged sheet from the collection. ‘How many times does he expect us to sail to his aid? They think of themselves as the rightful rulers of the world, but still they haven’t learned to stand on their own two feet.’

Finubar nodded.

‘They’re weak, beset by foes which would freeze them in terror if only they knew their true power. And yet I know you too well to believe you entirely. You and I both know there is hope in men. There has to be, for of all of the kingdoms of men, it is the Empire that holds the hordes back.’

Teclis looked pensive, and gave a rattling sigh.

‘So I once thought, it is true. When I taught them the gift of magic, I believed that they would come to maturity. In my pride, I even thought that they would take up some of the burden of the endless war against the Dark Powers, perhaps to the extent that we could at last turn our attention to our own great enemy. But my hopes have been in vain. They have taken the gift and used it for foolish ends. As many traitors have been spawned as true wizards. Their lands are as besieged by war as ever. When there are no invasions from the mountains around them they conspire to fight amongst themselves. As the world grows darker, we need resolute allies to stand beside us, not children. I despair of them ever growing up.’

Finubar did not smile then.

‘I don’t like to hear such words from you,’ he said, his voice grave. ‘I expect it from the hotheads in Caledor. But we’ve both travelled amongst men. You and I know their strengths as well as their weaknesses. While we in Ulthuan dwindle with every passing year, they prosper and multiply. While we remain rooted in the ways of tradition and ritual, they experiment. If I could transplant some of that daring spirit to Ulthuan, I would. And yet we both know that our kinds are made of different material. We cannot change, and neither can they.’

Teclis shifted uneasily in his seat. He looked more pained than usual.

‘So I suppose you’re minded to answer the Emperor’s call for aid?’ he said.

The king nodded.

‘How can I refuse? If Karl Franz falls, then the Old World will be lost to us forever. It is only by his will that the hordes of Chaos are restrained at all. War has already begun. Praag has been taken, and must now once more be an abode of terror, even as it was in the time of Magnus. The eastern flank of the Empire is aflame. The mountains have risen up in strife. I have no doubt that the dwarfen realms are under siege, though their High King is too pig-headed to ask for help from us. We can’t stand idly by in Ulthuan while the lands of our allies are plundered and despoiled. Though we may like to think it, we’re not safe here: without the bulwark of the Empire, there would be nothing to stop the dark fleets setting sail to our shores. The Ruinous Powers would love nothing more than to topple this tower in which we debate, to destroy the wards our ancestors constructed to shield the world from ruin. We cannot isolate ourselves, nor hide from the storm. It will seek us out, no matter what we do.’

Teclis did not reply immediately, but seemed to withdraw into himself. His eyes glazed slightly, and his staff appeared to shimmer with the faintest of lights. Finubar knew better than to interrupt, and settled back in his seat. After a few moments, the mage shook his head wearily, and let the staff fall gently to the ground.

‘I cannot see anything,’ he said, irritably. ‘Every attempt I make to judge the course of fate is thwarted. I need to spend more time on this, prepare the spells properly. I am full of doubt. Why are our enemies suddenly so united? The greenskins are moving as one, as if orchestrated by some malign hand. There is some dark purpose behind it. And what of our fallen kin? They’ll not be slow to take advantage of any weakness we show. In their folly and madness they think they can deliver the Old World to Chaos and still live. Should we ever falter in our defence of the Isle of the Dead, they will rue their blind hatred.’

Teclis halted, and paused to cough weakly. It looked as if his strength was waning. Finubar waited patiently.

‘If you want my counsel, my lord,’ he continued at length, ‘I should say beware. There is more to these tidings than is known to us. I fear we’re being manipulated. My dreams are filled with unsettling visions of change. There is a force in the world whose name I will not mention, but for whom change is the ultimate end and only purpose. The master of sorcery and of deception, the corruptor of all that is durable and wholesome. Only one such as he would have the power to unite our feuding enemies. If we rush to aid Karl Franz, we must take care that our own borders are secure. Any weakness, any mistake, and our armies will return to burned fields and ruined cities. So, if you’re determined to act, then do so with caution. Don’t dispatch all our forces at once. Leave some in reserve. Should we rush into the maelstrom now, we’ll have an eternity to regret it.’

Finubar held Teclis’s gaze steadily, and then let out a long, slow breath.

‘When I was young, I was full of hope,’ the king said. ‘I travelled the width of the whole world, and dared to believe in a new dawn. Now it seems as if the struggle for mastery will never cease, unless we are overcome ourselves. Your words fill me with foreboding. Nonetheless, I will give orders for the preparation of an advance force to send to Altdorf. Our duty demands no less. It will be strong, enough to deter all but the largest armies of Chaos, but not so large as to leave our borders undefended. I’ll write to Karl Franz myself. He’ll be disappointed we’ve not sent more, but must understand our peril. If your concerns prove ill-founded, then more will be sent.’

Teclis smiled grimly.

‘When have my concerns ever proved unfounded?’ he said wryly.

Finubar returned the wintry smile.

‘Not often,’ he said. ‘But you’ll not hold me back forever, my friend. This is just the beginning. I can see the day when I myself will travel east at the head of our armies. It’s been too long since I led them, and I would have the chance to feel the air of Elthin Arvan on my face once more. But not yet. I’ll wait and observe caution, just as you recommend.’

He rose in a single fluid move. With more difficulty, Teclis followed suit, picking up his staff and leaning heavily on it. Together, the pair walked over to the window. The rain was now hammering against the engraved glass. A flicker of lightning far to the north told of the fury to come.

‘If I may,’ said Teclis, his eyes fixed on the elements outside, ‘I wish to recommend a commander for this. Whatever forces frustrate my magical vision, they are powerful and subtle. The defenders of the Old World will have need of mages, ones of equal power and subtlety. There is an archmage of my school, Artheris of Ellyrion. She’s mighty in battlelore, but also in diplomacy. Unlike many of us, she has no disdain for the ways of men. I trust her. She’d be a worthy commander.’

Finubar nodded.

‘I know of her. I’ll send messengers when the dawn comes. Now that my mind is set, the need for haste is great. I don’t trust this storm. Unless it abates soon, the passage to Altdorf will be long and dangerous. There is much to be done.’

As the two watched, the clouds in the uttermost east parted slightly. The starlight remained faint, but a new glow had spread slowly across the waves. It was no natural moonlight, but a sickly yellow sheen, corrupt and cloying. The second moon of the world had risen to join the first, the fateful orb men called Morrslieb and the asur called the Sariour na Yenlui. Its coming was ever a sign of great evil, and at its rising all but the foulest minions of the Dark Gods felt a weakening of will.

‘So it begins,’ said Finubar, grimly.

Teclis, standing beside the Phoenix King, dipped his head in acknowledgement.

‘Yes, my lord,’ he said. ‘So it does.’

Karl Franz
Spoiler:
The Emperor Karl Franz paused for a moment before the tall gilt-framed mirror. There were attendants fussing in the background, but he paid them no heed. None would dare approach him unless summoned.

The Emperor was dressed in full ceremonial armour. His heavy steel gorget and pauldrons were lined with the purest gold, and his greaves were intricately engraved with passages from the holy scriptures of Sigmar. Chains hung around his neck, and the vambraces of his forearm guards were wound with the finest wire of gromril. A thick and deeply embroidered cloak hung from his shoulder, trimmed with the rarest ermine. His hair had been smoothed with beeswax and a laurel wreath placed on his head. The warhammer Ghal Maraz rested against the thick armour of his leather-studded cuisses. His gauntlets and sabatons were of the softest leather and covered by steel plates. Exquisite rivets tipped with gold sparkled in the morning light, and the jewels studded in his many medallions and badges of office winked and flashed when he moved. Their splendour was only amplified by the magnificence of the chamber around him, which was arrayed in a riot of glass and heavily polished dark wood.

And yet, for all the finery, Karl Franz felt weighed-down, dragged earthwards by the pull of the metal, leather and fabric draped across him. He looked darkly at his reflection. He felt old, tired and angry.

‘I’d prefer a real suit of armour,’ he said to himself. ‘One I could wear on the field. Gold impresses only fools and the simple. But it must be done, this show. Protocol demands it.’

Drawing a resigned breath, he whirled around to face his adjutant.

‘Enough. We must get started. Announce my presence.’

The adjutant bowed, and scurried off. Other attendants raced to their places. They were happy now. Karl Franz knew they hated it when the Emperor deviated from the agreed ritual or routine. The very idea that there might be a man under all the livery, one who lived and breathed just like them, would have been utterly horrifying to them. They preferred to think of him as the regent of a living god, the embodiment of the Empire and its many lands. And that, Karl Franz mused, was probably for the best. If they knew the doubts he had, the toll of the endless burden of power, the constant need to make decision after decision, then they would serve him less well. At all times, he knew he must present his people with the front of the mighty leader, the protector against all foes. When the day came when he was unable to do so any longer, he prayed that his death in battle would be swift, and his successor would be of the right mettle. If the Empire were to stumble, even for a moment, then the malice of its enemies who remorselessly pressed against the borders would surely find the weak point and exploit it. They were already at the gates, hammering away at long-prepared defences, gibbering hordes of madness and hate.

None knew this more than Karl Franz, with his long experience of guiding the greatest realm of men through history for so many long years. Some called him the greatest statesman of the Old World. Others, and he knew who many of them were, called him traitor, incompetent, or even worse. Though he had the Reiksguard around him at all times and warrior priests offered benedictions on his behalf every hour, he was never safe. The Dark Gods, horrors whose names were only spoken by the fallen and the heretic, would sacrifice a thousand of their chosen warriors just to see his realm toppled and his soul rendered forfeit. Only through faith and endurance could they be resisted. The task was never-ending.

He walked slowly and purposefully down the glittering corridor after his bustling adjutant. His heavy armour was nearly soundless as he went. The human and dwarfish artificers had created a suit of such perfection that every joint, every curve of plate metal, was linked to the next without the slightest flaw. Only his sabatons clanked heavily against the hard floor as he strode, echoing down the corridors of the Imperial Palace. Ahead of him, massive doors loomed. The panels were beaten from weighty slabs of bronze and iron, and inlaid into a frame of solid oak a foot thick. Few knew the origin of the panels, or guessed at the ancient lineage of the doors. The metal in them had come, so it was said, from the shields of the chiefs and warlords Sigmar had overthrown to form the first army of the nascent Empire. As he stood before them, Karl Franz bowed his head slightly. From the other side, he could hear the hubbub die down in advance of his entrance. He grasped Ghal Maraz tightly, and whispered a brief prayer to Sigmar. Then he motioned to the attendants behind him to swing the doors open.

‘It is time,’ he growled.

The massive doors rumbled apart as thick ropes were heaved by a team of straining servants hidden in the shadows of the corridor. Without waiting for them to open fully, Karl Franz strode into the chamber beyond. The air was suddenly filled with the sound of clashing and scraping metal as three dozen advisers, councillors, ministers, electors, patriarchs, priests and other assorted potentates thrust back their seats and rose to attention. Most were wearing armour of a similar ostentation and impracticality as Karl Franz’s own. Some of the electors wore helmets, ruffs and plumes of truly ridiculous dimensions. As the occupants of the chamber stirred into a position of appropriate deference, the cacophony of their movements rose into the high vaulted ceiling where an elaborate wooden roof was studded with shields commemorating the great battles of the Empire. Without looking up, Karl Franz passed underneath them. He knew them all.

All eyes were fixed on him as he walked towards his appointed seat. With rat-like efficiency, attendants pulled a bronze-inlaid throne back from the vast round table of the council chamber and took up his cloak behind him ready to arrange it over his shoulder in the proper fashion. Concealing his distaste for such theatrics, Karl Franz placed Ghal Maraz on the polished wooden surface of the table with an echoing clang, looked around the room once, and sat down. With a flurry of activity, the rest of the chamber did likewise, and the servants retreated from the room, closing the great bronze doors behind them.

With all its usual pomp and fanfare, the session of the Imperial Council had begun.

‘My lords,’ said Karl Franz, his voice low and resonant in the echoing space. ‘Thank you for answering the summons to attend this council. I know you’re all busy with your own preparations for war, and I do not call you to the palace lightly. But there are urgent matters to attend to. I will not detain you with pleasantries. Marshal Helborg, you will give us your assessment of the latest situation.’

A figure at the far end of the table rose to his feet. All the assembled knew who he was: Kurt Helborg, Grand Marshal of the Knights of the Reiksguard and one of the most formidable warriors in the entire Empire. His ceremonial armour could not entirely disguise the heavy bandaging around his shield arm and neck. He had been in action fighting against a huge Chaos army in the east until just a few days previously, and still bore the marks of the conflict. Despite his wounds, he bore his massive carriage proudly and without a hint of visible discomfort.

‘My liege,’ Helborg said, in a voice that sounded like it had been dredged from the gravel of the Reik itself, ‘I am too old and artless to try and paint a cheerful picture of what awaits us. There is little hope in the east. Ostland and Ostermark are overrun. The armies of marauders I was sent to halt have been driven back, but with grievous loss. Our defensive lines along the Talabec still hold firm, but they have not yet been tested by the full force of the enemy. The plague which has ravaged the lands for this last year makes every act of campaign difficult and doubtful. Whenever we move to strike, we are forced to deal with some plague-inspired insurrection elsewhere. The men under my command are exhausted and near revolt. There’s no point in pretending otherwise. I expect it’s the same in armies under the command of others. We know the core of the Chaos host has yet to enter the heartlands of the Empire. When they come, I can’t tell what will occur. You may count on us to fight until our last breath, but whether that will be enough… Well, time and Sigmar will tell.’

A snort of derision came from the heavily hunched figure of Volkmar, the Grand Theogonist. He was the head of the mighty Church of Sigmar, and the scars across his body bore witness to his long service. He leaned forward, his bald head shining as if polished, and pointed an accusing finger at the Grand Marshal.

‘How can a man say such things in the presence of the Emperor and live?’ he hissed. ‘Where there is weakness, it must be rooted out! Your love of your men and tolerance of their softness is well-known. The unwilling must be culled to breed resolve in the rest. I cannot stomach this weak-minded, craven assessment. Take a score of my Templars into your ranks, and then your men would truly stand until their last breath!’

The old man spat the words out. They were born of long bitterness and implacable resolve in the face of the endless tides of Chaos. A few around the table looked at Volkmar with approval. Some looked on with pity. Helborg himself remained calm and stony-faced.

‘Your Templars would thin out my ranks even more,’ the Grand Marshal said in a low voice. ‘Leave your butchers here in Altdorf chasing old women, and we’ll defend the border with proper men of the Empire.’

Volkmar’s eyes flashed, and he made to respond. Before he could speak, Karl Franz smashed his armoured fist heavily on the table.

‘Enough!’ he said irritably. ‘I did not ask the Grand Marshal to provoke a debate on morale. These facts are incontestable. Ostland is lost to us, the plague shows no signs of lessening, our people are losing faith. The tide is against us, and we know worse is to come. The question remaining is simple: what is to be done?’

A third figure leaned forward. His face was entirely covered in a gold mask with an oddly beatific expression. He was Balthasar Gelt, the Supreme Patriarch of the Colleges of Magic. No one knew what dreadful injuries had compelled him to encase himself in gold, but he was never seen without his all-embracing shell of metal.

‘It seems almost too obvious to remark on, but I will do so nonetheless,’ the wizard said. His voice was a thin, pale sound. ‘The plague and the invasion are the work of one mind, one intelligence. This is no ordinary incursion of marauders, but a coordinated attack reaching across the whole of our northern border. Those of us steeped in scholarship of the Ruinous Powers know who is behind it. The only countervailing force against this foe is magic. Steel will not suffice. Grand Marshal Helborg has told us his men are near mutiny. No wonder – the sights seen by our valiant soldiers should not be witnessed by any mortal man. If the work of the colleges were not so insufferably restricted by Imperial decree and mandate, then…’

‘Then your band of sorcerers and tinkers would run amok making things twice as bad as they already are,’ sneered a new voice.

Hans Behrer, one of the generals from Ostland who had fought the long rearguard action across the sodden fields of the eastern Empire, stared at the wizard with undisguised contempt.

‘I see you disdain the loyal service of wizards,’ said Gelt, coolly. ‘How original.’

Gelt’s expression was, as ever, impossible to read, though there was no sign of his fabled temper in his even tone of voice. It was almost as if he had expected Behrer’s intervention. Behrer himself, a thick-set, brooding character with bunched shoulders and dark hair, shot him a withering glance.

‘All men of honour shun the ways of the sorcerer,’ he said, using the pejorative term for a practitioner of Chaos rites. ‘When we were standing knee-deep in the ranks of our own dead in Ostermark, the blood of our kinsmen mingling freely with the endless grime of the field, what did we face? Magic. The sky was aflame with it. The only remedy for such unholy perversion is the sword and cannon. Even the mightiest warlock cannot spread his vile spells with his tongue cut out, and a round of iron shot will cut down the most raving of cultists.’

Gelt, once again, remained uncharacteristically unmoved. He placed his gold hands on top of one another, and inclined his expressionless head slightly to one side.

‘An interesting opinion,’ he said. ‘You clearly have little time for our activities. And yet our skills may surprise you. You may not be aware, for example, that the spoor of Chaos is evident to one such as myself, even in its lowliest servants. The stink of dark magic is not easily erased, and the mark of ruination may be evident to a wizard when it is invisible to all others. You should watch yourself, general. If I were you, I would ask why one of your rank has been invited to this gathering, when all about you are your betters. The answer may not be to your liking.’

At the end of the table, Karl Franz watched with a close interest. The tension around the chamber grew as the two men, wizard and soldier, faced each other. Behrer’s face reddened at the accusation, and he rose to his feet, trembling with rage.

‘By Sigmar!’ he shouted, half-reaching for his sheathed sword. ‘If we were not under the Emperor’s peace, I’d…’

‘You’d do what?’ interrupted the Theogonist suddenly, looking with a keen interest in the agitated general. ‘Attack the Supreme Patriarch of the colleges? You’d be dead before your sword left its scabbard. What kind of a man would even suggest such a thing?’

Behrer, his face now crimson with rage, stood uncertainly for a moment, before letting his hand move away from his blade. Gelt remained calm, but his gaze never left the general. Behrer looked around him for a moment, clearly in two minds, before turning to the Emperor at the head of the table.

‘My liege,’ he said, controlling his anger with difficulty. ‘I have been accused of treachery in the heart of your palace. Will you say nothing?’

Karl Franz felt the first prick of sweat on the palms of his hands. This had come earlier than expected. From the corner of his eye, he could see Gelt watching him intently. He rose to his feet slowly, ignoring the looks of consternation from the others around him.

‘You should have listened to the words of the Patriarch, general,’ said Karl Franz, slowly and deliberately. ‘Did you never wonder why a general such as you had been invited here? Or why no others of your rank are present? If you had any wit about you, you would have remained quiet. As it is, your example will come sooner than I had foreseen.’

Behrer’s eyes widened with terror, and he looked about him with a sudden fear. His forehead broke out into a sweat, and he stepped back from his place at the table awkwardly.

‘What can you mean, my lord?’ he stammered, his expression a mix of anger and indecision. ‘I have been informed on? This is madness! Lies! There is someone in your service who wishes me ill!’

At that, Gelt too rose from his seat. The assembled nobles around him shifted uneasily. Some put their hands on their weapons, though none was foolish enough to draw swords without the Emperor’s permission. The Supreme Patriarch threw his cloak back, and gripped his staff with both gold-clad hands.

‘Indeed there is, Behrer. I wish you ill. I wish to see you dead on the floor of this chamber for the traitor you are.’

At that, he swung his staff in a constrained circular motion, and a bolt of blistering energy flew across the chamber towards the steadily retreating figure of Behrer. It was a small summoning for one of Gelt’s skill, but still had the power to knock a man off his feet and tear a hole in his armour. As the ball of coruscating force surged towards the general, he made a desperate move to avoid it, but was too slow. He was hurled against the stone of the far wall, and slumped down the surface, eyes glazed.

‘Get back!’ barked the Emperor savagely, and the electors around the table rose slowly, fixated on the bizarre sight before them. Without waiting for them to collect their senses, Karl Franz strode towards the prone figure of Behrer. The general made no movement. Perhaps he was dead. The Emperor felt a small sliver of doubt enter his mind. Could he have been mistaken? He felt Gelt arrive by his side, and the two men gazed at the twisted body before them.

‘Perhaps we were wrong,’ said the Patriarch simply.

But then, Behrer’s face jerked back into life. His eyes snapped open. His prone limbs started to move, and he clambered arduously to his feet. He began to shake violently, and his mouth lolled open.

‘If I may, my liege,’ said Gelt grimly, raising his staff once more, ‘I’ll dispose of him now. Our suspicions have been…’

But he was cut off by an unearthly howl. Behrer started flailing around madly and launched himself at the portly Gold wizard. Taken by surprise, Gelt was knocked backwards, and his staff skidded across the floor. Karl Franz grasped Ghal Maraz tightly, and stepped forward. Behind him he could hear the sounds of swords being drawn. Armoured figures rushed forward.

Behrer was being transformed. A ball of pulsating energy had begun to coalesce around him. His limbs flailed ever more wildly, and he flung himself back against the wall, panting madly. Suddenly, a cluster of tentacles burst from his chest, spraying blood across the stone. A gurgling scream broke out, but was soon extinguished as Behrer’s head was enveloped by his own neck. His whole body was folding in on itself, being absorbed by some parts and sprouting new and hideous growths in others. The speed of the transformation was terrifying, and soon all manner of spikes, fronds, tongues and even wings were forming and reforming across the tortured surface of what had once been Hans Behrer. The amorphous mass of flesh, bone and sinew reared upwards, growing in size. Strange colours and viscous substances pulsated beneath the rapidly-changing surface of the skin. In the centre of the gelatinous mass, a vast maw was opening up, ringed with vicious-looking teeth. A purple tongue, studded with spikes, flickered out towards the men assembled around it.

Karl Franz watched the transformation impassively. Ghal Maraz felt light in his hands. The runes seemed to shine with a faint, dull light of their own, as they ever did when battle loomed.

‘Abomination!’ Karl Franz hissed, his words laced with cold fury.

Beside him, Gelt clambered to his feet and retrieved his staff. On either side of the Emperor, other councillors stood ready, swords naked. All were warriors, steeped in the long fight against Chaos.

Karl Franz strode forward, swinging the warhammer loosely around him, enjoying the sensation of the weight and heft of the weapon. The creature which had been Behrer saw him approach through a dozen or more shifting, popping eyes, and screamed at him. The breath of the Chaos spawn was foul, laced with death and the stench of dark sorcery. Without hesitation, Karl Franz pulled Ghal Maraz into a wide arc, and slammed the sacred warhammer into the foul amorphous flesh. The creature screamed again, and a host of writhing tentacles, many barbed with what looked like stings or hooks, flew from the centre of its fleshy body. Some wrapped themselves around the Emperor’s arms, some bounced harmlessly off the exquisite plate armour.

Councillors raced into the battle. Helborg hurled himself at the spawn, his sword flashing. Even his voice was drowned by Volkmar, who bellowed a litany of cleansing with all the righteous anger of his calling. Ignoring the others, Karl Franz whirled around, using the weight of his ornate raiment to reinforce the blows of Ghal Maraz. Time and again the warhammer fell, gouging out chunks of sorcerous flesh, smashing the eyes into darkness, and reducing the flabby, shifting mass of twisted bone and sinew into a shrinking puddle of gore and slime. The Emperor moved forwards, brushing off the remaining attacks from the spawn, relishing the resonant power of the hammer in his hands, feeling the combined artistry and rune-magic of the mighty instrument carve through the shimmering aura of dark magic surrounding and nourishing the spawn before him.

The shape was becoming ever more formless, weeping blood and other liquids copiously. The screams had become more like mewls, and the many opening and closing mouths of the monster sagged and tore at themselves. Sensing the end, Helborg and the others withdrew. The honour of the kill belonged to the Emperor.

Karl Franz took a deep breath, and prepared to swing the final stroke. Ghal Maraz continued to resonate harmoniously in his hands, as if absorbing and echoing the powerful magic swirling around the room. But then a final shudder rocked the bleeding and ruined shape before him. The loose sac of skin and horn quivered, and withdrew in on itself rapidly. There was the sound of squelching and crunching, and a new gaping mouth opened over the quavering form. There were no teeth, barbs or stings bursting from this new orifice, but instead a sinuous neck emerged, crowned with what looked like the distorted head of a bird. It was decked in bright blue feathers, and had eyes of deep, vibrant yellow.

With some difficulty, it opened its crooked beak, and a rasping voice emerged. It was somewhat similar to Behrer’s, but horribly warped and distended. Whatever was left of the general’s vocal cords must have been mangled beyond description.

‘Well done, son of Sigmar,’ came a guttural, scraping rasp. ‘I’m glad the little tricks of my Master are of some amusement. Take pleasure in this while you can, for even the slightest of our riddles only serve to augment His mightier purpose. Believe you have won a victory if you will – you will have an eternity of torment to regret your lack of foresight.’

Taking no notice of the squawking monologue, Karl Franz looped the hammer twice around his head, and then slammed it into the grotesque face with all the force he could muster. With a flash of golden light, the spawn reeled from the blow, staggered once more, limply tried to re-form itself, and then sagged against the stone floor, utterly spent. More blows fell, until the quivering substance was reduced to a pile of bloody pulp, gently oozing multi-coloured liquid over the smooth flagstones. The stench was disgusting.

Breathing heavily from the exertion, Karl Franz stood over the crushed spawn. In amidst the gore and fleshy detritus, a few recognisable features of Behrer still lingered. A finger here, a tooth there. Otherwise, nothing remained. A sudden fury began to fill Karl Franz’s spirit. He had known of Behrer’s treachery, had drawn him to the meeting for this very purpose, but still the sacrilege outraged him. Now that vengeance had been achieved, his controlled sense of purpose was replaced with a burning emotion of betrayal.

He turned to face the others, his expression dark and intense.

‘Witness the fate of all who turn to the Ruinous Powers!’ he cried.

All thought of protocol and pageantry had been forgotten. He was quivering with rage, and his eyes blazed with a dark fire.

‘Know this!’ the Emperor said in a low voice. ‘While I bear the weapon of the Heldenhammer, and while there is still strength in my arms, this is the destiny for those who reject the light of holy Sigmar and turn to false prophets. No pity, no remorse! The purging flame is all that awaits the traitor.’

At that, Gelt stepped forward. Something about the way he moved conveyed his disgust, even if his mask remained impassive. He raised his staff high, and golden light blazed forth. When the stream of energy hit the ruined shell of the Chaos spawn, brilliant flame leapt up. It kindled quickly, and soon the leaking, putrid carcass was ablaze. The stench from its immolation was foul. Undeterred, Gelt maintained a steady onslaught. The remains blackened, crisped, and shrank into ashes.

Karl Franz looked on silently. As the spawn dissolved into nothingness, his breathing returned to normal. His fury was replaced by an icy calm.

The remaining council members looked uncertainly between the Emperor and the crumbling skeleton of the Chaos beast. All were men who had seen strange and terrible things on the battlefield, but such an event in the heart of the Imperial Palace was difficult to digest. Gradually, they recovered themselves, and returned silently to their seats. His work done, Gelt took his place once more. Creeping from the shadows, servants shuffled into the chamber to clear away the wreckage. What remained of its body would be disposed of under the watchful eye of the priests of the Imperial household. With some satisfaction, Karl Franz knew that even as the council reconvened, witch hunters would be crashing their way into Behrer’s house. His family would have to be very convincing in their denunciations and protestations of innocence, or their deaths would be long and difficult.

As the energy and anger began to drain from his body, he felt Ghal Maraz become heavy in his hands once more. The weight of his armour returned to his shoulders. He re-took his seat, and placed the warhammer in front of him. It would not be needed for the remainder of the session.

‘My lords,’ Karl Franz said, looking at each councillor in turn. ‘Behrer’s treachery was known to us, and his presence here this morning was no accident. But I did not stage this charade idly. On each prior occasion this council has met, there has been bickering between us. The Church of Sigmar finds fault with the Reiksguard. The Knightly Orders find fault with my corps of engineers. The electors of the southern provinces do not appreciate the needs of those in the north, and everybody mistrusts the colleges. This cannot go on. While we squabble and debate, the land is aflame. Even as I speak to you now, there are brave men of the Empire dying defending their homes. The least they can demand of us, sitting here in the centre of the realm far from danger, is that we understand the threat and work together to confront it. Do not mistake me, my lords. I regret the death of any of my subjects, for every man and woman of the Empire is like a child to me. But any who frustrate my attempt to drive back the hordes which assail us will meet the fate of Behrer. Even in the midst of Altdorf, there is treachery and dissent. It cannot go on.’

His words were met with silence. Every member sat with their face turned towards him, listening intently. Perhaps Behrer had served a purpose after all.

‘I have told you of my plans for my Order of the Griffon,’ continued the Emperor. ‘Many of you have supplied members from your own ranks to join this institution. But the numbers are still too low. You know my intentions: to bring together every member of the Empire into a single body, an incorruptible force of all skills and talents working as one. If we remain divided, then the designs of the Dark Ones are already half-complete. Sigmar has blessed His children with diverse skills. Only by placing them in concert may we realise His purposes fully. We know that the enemy has formed a similar force, which we only know as the Raven Host. Its purposes are hidden from us, but its threat is not. I urge you to act quickly, my lords, and induct more of your best troops into the Order. All are needed. Our divisions must end. Have I your agreement on this?’

The electors and other nobles, some still somewhat shaken from the dramatic effects of Behrer’s pact with the Dark Gods, nodded in turn. Some even looked like they meant it.

Gelt was the only one to speak.

‘The colleges have already supplied many of the best wizards in the Empire as recruits for the Order of the Griffon. I will speak to my colleagues, and ensure that more is done. If the hosts of Chaos can put aside their differences in order to unite against us, then we must do the same.’

The Emperor inclined his head towards the Gold wizard in thanks. Gelt was a slippery fish. Like all the rest of the council, it was only the dire necessity of the situation which curtailed the usual business of politics and intrigue between them. But for the time being at least, he seemed to have made his point.

‘Very well,’ the Emperor said curtly. ‘That is an end to the matter. I shall expect to receive lists of names from you all in due course. But now we must turn our attention once more to the conduct of the war. I wish to have no more disagreements on those best suited to carry out the defence. We must consider the location of the next attack, and be ready for it. We are no longer so far from the front, here in Altdorf. Our resources are meagre. Where should they be deployed?’

Back on to the familiar territory of war planning, the electors and marshals shook off their uncustomary reticence and began to confer in earnest. Plans were introduced, sheets of parchment were pushed across the smooth wood of the table, and logistics and gunnery requirements discussed. Karl Franz sat back and let the discussion take its course for a few moments. His eyes strayed to the high window on his right. At the edge of his vision, a thick black pall of smoke was rising in the narrow courtyard outside. The charred remains of the spawn were being burned further. For a short time, he found himself drawn to the thin, twisting line of smoke. It had once been a man, one who had fought for him. How many others were waiting to turn, like Behrer, to darkness?

The Emperor shook his head. There was no use in speculating. Turning his attention back to the debate before him, he resumed the wearisome business of listening to plans and counter-plans. In the end, he knew, there was only faith and vigilance. And given the scale of the task the Empire was facing, they would need plenty of both.
The only time Tchar’zanek is even really mentioned was in the last book of the trilogy
Spoiler:
The Inevitable City sat poised upon the lip of a mammoth crater, a pit stretching between the physical world and the eternal Void of Chaos. Swirling energies, coruscating tempests of black lightning and glowing fog rose from the nothingness of the Void, tearing away at the crumbling lip of reality that sought to bind and contain it.

The searing essence of raw madness, the Void chewed incessantly at the city, corroding its foundations with the tireless labour of an eroding tide. The broken stumps of buildings and walls hung precariously over the bottomless insanity of the pit, bits and pieces of themselves levitating as they broke away, clinging to the emptiness of the Void for hours or centuries until at last sucked down into the Realm of Chaos.

Over this vacuity, this hole in the fabric of reality, great clods of earth and stone floated upon the aethyr. Thick chains of iron stretched from each chunk of ground, tethering them one to another until finally forming an unbroken line back to the crumbling lip of the crater. The combined essence of physicality of each fragment was stronger than they were alone, strong enough even to defy the devouring hunger of the Void. Upon the largest of these floating islands, surrounded on all sides by tethered satellites of stone, sprawled the Eternal Citadel, the poisonous heart of the Inevitable City.

Huge beyond the work of human hands, the Eternal Citadel hovered above the Void, lightning crackling about its spires and battlements, tentacles of darkness and glowing fog crashing about its walls of scarlet stone, consumed and drawn down into floating gargoyle heads to be trapped within the purple light shining from mouth and eye. The central spire of the citadel stabbed upward, twisting round and round upon itself like the horn of some titanic unicorn. The top of the tower was formed into the melting half-moon and unblinking eye, the most potent of Tzeentch’s profane symbols. Purple light glowed from behind the stained glass of the eye, betokening the power chained within.

It was here, within the central spire that the mortal soul of the Inevitable City reigned. The Prince of Tzeentch, Warlord of the Raven Host, mightiest of the Changer’s living pawns, Tchar’zanek was the only man of sufficient cunning and power to bend the daemon spirit of the Inevitable City to his will. Lesser men would walk blindly into the fires of the Soul Forge or have both face and identity consumed by the Lyceum, to serve the spectral forces forever more as one of the Timeworn. These and even greater perils Tchar’zanek had mastered. He had stared into the Void, gazed into the abyss, felt the coruscating nothingness of the beyond stare back at him and he had not been driven mad by the experience. Chosen of the Raven God, Tchar’zanek had endured, endured to become the living instrument, the agent of the Changer upon the mortal plane. Field Marshal of the armies of Tzeentch, perhaps the last herald of the End Times.

The Chaos lord’s throne room was a thing of insanity, like a great maw, needle-like fangs jutting from ceiling and floor, forming an unbroken lattice of malachite teeth. They were not constant, these fangs of stone, but subtly changed in size and shape whenever only the corner of an eye was watching them. Their weird mutters, like the babble of tiny children, formed a strange harmony with the crack of lightning outside the citadel walls. Those who concentrated too long upon the sounds could not shake the impression that the walls of the throne room and the lightning of the Void spoke to each other. Sometimes, Tchar’zanek would tilt his head and mutter back to the eerie sounds, seeming to converse with the daemonic essence of his domain.

It was within this chamber that Urbaal the Corruptor knelt upon armoured knee. Faintly, some dim part of Urbaal’s mind rebelled at the otherworldly horror of this place, recoiling into the shadows of his soul. The warrior pondered the strange sensation, wondering what forgotten mystery it might reflect. Long had Urbaal been in the service of the Raven God, longer than a sane man would believe. He had forgotten much in his long quest for power and knowledge. Somehow he knew that he had once been something, someone other than Urbaal and it was the sward of some kindlier land he had walked in the long ago. The warrior dismissed the simpering nostalgia. Had there been a woman, children even? A fragment, an image tried to form itself from tattered shreds of thought, but there was too little left for his memory to reclaim. It was unimportant anyway. Nothing was important except serving mighty Tzeentch, pleasing the capricious Changer of Ways and gaining the great rewards only a god could grant.

Urbaal had served the Raven God well in the long ages of his life. He bore the mark of his god upon his flesh, the sign of Tzeentch’s Chosen. The armour that encased him, the skull-faced helm of gilded horns and slit visor, the blade of burnished bronze and shining sapphire, these were gifts from his god. The armour was forged from the souls of sacrificed daemons, the blade had been grown from a shimmering pool of crystal. They were things alive, more a part of Urbaal than his own forgotten memories. They sustained the champion through his many battles, preserved him through the long war waged between gods and mortals. They had become more real to him than his own flesh, so much so that Urbaal realised what it was his mind had tried to piece from tatters of memory; the image of his own face.

The Chosen rose, straightening his tall body of sapphire plates and golden adornment. There was a suggestion of raw physical might beneath the gilded vambraces and spiked pauldrons. From the shadows of his helm, Urbaal’s eyes simmered like live coals, two points of smouldering light within a nest of shadow.

The figure beside Urbaal likewise rose from the floor. He was the antithesis of the Chosen in size and appearance, presenting a short, gaunt apparition of a man, swathed in light airy robes of powder blue and soft grey, a kilt of silvery scales draped about his waist and a thick cloak of what might have been beams of moonlight billowing about his shoulders. Like that of Urbaal, the countenance of Vakaan was hidden behind the mask of his all-enclosing helm. Like the beaked face of a falcon, the silver helm stabbed forwards, great wings sweeping up and back to join into a peak above the sorcerer’s skull. Vakaan was a magus, one of the warlocks of the Kurgan tribes, a villain steeped in the black arts of the Changer, able to draw daemons from the aethyr and into the physical world. It was Vakaan who spoke, and even the voice of this man who pitted his will against that of unearthly daemons shivered with awe. ‘We come, Great Lord Tchar’zanek, that through your command we may better serve the Changer.’

Urbaal watched the magus bow again, the silver helm brushing against the polished floor of the throne room. Some trick of light made it seem the sorcerer’s head passed through his own reflection in the glistening obsidian tiles. The babble of the walls lessened, as though the citadel itself were waiting and listening.

The thing upon the throne stirred. Taller than Urbaal, more like an ogre than a man, Tchar’zanek rose from his seat, descending from his dais on feet that were the paws of some reptilian beast rather than anything of human shape or form. The warlord’s blue armour was warped and twisted around his mutated frame, all semblance of symmetry erased by the physical rewards his god had bestowed upon him. From his left side, only a single powerful arm hung from the Chaos lord’s horned shoulder, but from his right side, a scythe-like insect-like limb sprouted beneath the human limb like some parasitic growth. As Tchar’zanek moved, the noxious member flexed and quivered, as though eager to lash out and rip into flesh.

The warlord’s head was like his shoulders, festooned with horns. The left horn was noticeably thicker and larger than the right and its calcified substance had bled downward, spreading to engulf the better part of Tchar’zanek’s face, hardening it into an armoured, unmoving carapace. The rest of Tchar’zanek’s face was pale, of the colour and consistency of a fish’s belly. The features were harsh, steeped in eternal evil and obscene secrets. The eyes of Tchar’zanek gleamed with the feral keenness of a panther and from each corner of his face, a thin membrane flickered to protect and moisten that indomitable gaze.

‘You are here because it is the will of Tchar,’ the warlord said, his voice betraying an inner power that was elemental in magnitude, like the bellow of angry storm gods. ‘The names of Urbaal the Corruptor and Vakaan Daemontongue. Of all my pawns, it was your names the Changer sent to me.’ Tchar’zanek stretched a clawed hand, indicating the thin figure of the sorcerer standing at the foot of his throne. The scrawny man was lost beneath the black folds of his robes, only his thorny helm serving to give the shadowy shape any distinction in the black-walled chamber.

The robed sorcerer opened a gigantic tome clutched in his wormy fingers. Sheets of wafer-thin steel turned beneath the gentlest sweep of those fingers. Urbaal could see glowing characters speeding from one page to the next, as though each steel page were writing itself as the sorcerer gazed upon it.

‘Once there was made a weapon, a blade to tempt the rage of the Blood God,’ the sorcerer’s reedy voice crackled like kindling in a hearth. ‘It was surrendered into the hands of unbelievers, those who in their foolishness would defy the true gods and who in their same foolishness still play their part in the Changer’s plan. In time the weapon became a sacred relic, made sacred to one of the petty gods of the faithless lands. Its true purpose was hidden and its true name forgotten, and so was Great Tchar content for many ages of men.’

The sorcerer paused, the eyes behind his mask of thorns blazing with avarice. ‘But it did not suit the plan of the Raven God to abandon the bane of his rival. A great warrior set upon the decaying towers of the elf-folk, bringing a mighty fleet to ravage the shores of their enchanted island. The fleet was broken, the warhost shattered and the warrior’s bones sank into the sea, and still he had served the Changer. One of the warlord’s minions, a powerful magus, fell prisoner to the elves. By spell and torture they broke his spirit and from his bleeding tongue the loremasters of the elf-folk learned many things, things they imprisoned within their books and hid away lest they be tempted by the power of such secrets.

‘What is hidden may be found. A magician of the elf-folk when casting the most minor of spells, felt the touch of Tzeentch upon his spirit. He was destroyed by the unleashed might of his magic, and with him many chambers and halls were ravaged. In that destruction, things that had been hidden escaped into the light to be found once more. One of the elf loremasters discovered again the knowledge of the long-dead magus and this time it was not hidden from the elf-folk the meaning of the sorcerer’s words.’

‘The Changer moves our enemies,’ Tchar’zanek intoned. ‘The decadent elves of Ulthuan seek alliance with the unbeliever southlanders that together they might bear the holy weapon into the lands of the true gods. They seek the Bastion Stair, the gateway into the realm of Khorne. They think to cut off the Winds of Chaos by using the weapon to destroy the portal between worlds.’ The warlord clenched his fist, knuckles cracking as his fingers curled against his scaly palm. ‘This I will not allow.’

‘But how can they know how to find the Bastion Stair?’ Urbaal dared to ask his warlord. The Bastion Stair was even more of a myth to the people of the northern tribes than the Inevitable City. The gate between the world of men and that of the Blood God, it was a place from which no man had ever returned. If it existed at all.

‘The Bastion Stair is a deceit made real,’ the sorcerer explained. ‘A dream given substance, a phantasm become physical. It does not exist as we exist, but extends in the spaces between the mortal and the eternal. It is different things at different times, moved by the murderous whims of the Blood God…’

‘But solid enough now to serve the will of Tzeentch,’ Tchar’zanek growled. ‘My scouts have found the Bastion Stair, I have moved an entire warherd of the beastfolk to wrest it from the debased followers of Khorne. We shall await the coming of the elves and their allies. When they bring the weapon, we shall take it from them. We shall use it to cut asunder the gate between worlds and unleash the Lord of Change!’

‘Too long has mighty Kakra the Timeless been the prisoner of Var’Ithrok the Skull Lord!’ the sorcerer shouted. ‘Chained within the Portal of Rage, his immortal power bound to the petty schemes of the Blood God! The Spear will end Kakra’s enslavement. It will shatter the chains that bind him, will remove the hold of the Blood God upon the Portal of Rage! The gate between worlds will be restored to the dominion of the Raven God!

‘The Winds of Chaos shall sweep over the Raven Host,’ the sorcerer cackled. ‘They shall fuel our spells and call down legions of daemons upon our foes! Nothing shall stand against the glory of Prince Tchar’zanek! All the world shall bow before his might!’ The sorcerer’s glare focused on Vakaan, then turned towards Urbaal. ‘It is a sacred honour for such lowly creatures to be the instruments of Tchar’zanek’s triumph.’

Urbaal felt a cold hate seep into his heart as he heard the sorcerer’s sneering words. He took a step towards the robed magus. ‘Yet we were chosen.’

The sorcerer gave a reluctant bow of his head. ‘There was a page… a page of this tome, the Mirror of Eternity that related to the prophecy. To unleash the might of Change, to break the chains that bind it, would take those chosen by the Raven God. We… I could not find this page… with the last of the prophecy. Great Lord Tchar’zanek sent the beastfolk to secure the Bastion Stair, to prepare the way for his champions. Then… then the page upon which were written your names returned to us, crawling across the floor like a living thing to rejoin itself to the book!’

‘Others seek the weapon,’ Tchar’zanek told Urbaal. ‘Do not make the mistake of assuming shared enemies mean shared purposes. Use such tools as Tzeentch presents them, but never trust them.’

‘Anything that stands against the might of Tchar’zanek will feed its soul to my sword,’ Urbaal replied. A hungry moan of eagerness rasped from the blade sheathed at his side, a spectral note of unearthly bloodlust.

‘You are marked for great things, Urbaal,’ Tchar’zanek warned. ‘The finger of destiny points at you this day. Do not fail the Raven God. Do not fail me. There is nowhere in this world or the next you can hide if you do.’

Ads
Kushido

Post#9 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Coryphaus wrote:I own the entire age of recking seirs as ebooks let me quote the chapters now that im on my labtop; where they talk, only it happens twice in the entire 3 books does it speak from the leaders perspective which tbt is a real waste considering that that too was only in the first book of the entire series
niice, thats what i'm looking for
if there will be moments like this more - i'll appreciate for them too
just had a quick watch on these 3 moments, will read them more later, thx

Coryphaus

Post#10 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:46 am

my personal favorite is the karl franz one because it shows a more human side to him, it makes him more relatable and shows off the tenacity of the human spirit

its why i like imperial guard soo much