Recent Topics

Ads

Buff Tank ability: Guard

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
JohnnyWayne

Re: Buff Tank ability: Guard

Post#11 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:02 am

I have to agree, take guard off GCD. It kind of slows down tank reaction time and limits the skill requirement to actually play a tank while also reducing quality of life. Everything is bad about it. As far as I know, before the GCD changes, guard was off of GCD.

Ads
BluIzLucky

Post#12 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:50 am

Not sure a buff to one of the strongest abilities in game is really needed, it's a bit like saying group heal needs to be off GCD.

Would it be a nice QOL/buff in sweaty situations (ranked, premade v premade) where targets instantly and constantly change, sure, but now you just made the often very small kill window even smaller..

And to me who you guard is a deliberate choice of timing based on everyone's movements and situation, and the (max of) 1.5s is rarely important here.

And knights and chosen would be left with like two abilities with a gcd...
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Dobzse

Post#13 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:48 am

BluIzLucky wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:50 am Not sure a buff to one of the strongest abilities in game is really needed, it's a bit like saying group heal needs to be off GCD.

Would it be a nice QOL/buff in sweaty situations (ranked, premade v premade) where targets instantly and constantly change, sure, but now you just made the often very small kill window even smaller..

And to me who you guard is a deliberate choice of timing based on everyone's movements and situation, and the (max of) 1.5s is rarely important here.

And knights and chosen would be left with like two abilities with a gcd...
Guarding alone does not save anyone. According to this logic tanks should be punished and also their gameplay should kept frustrating because the time to kill window in premades are limited. I disagree that guard is one of the strongest ability in the game. If thats the case how come tanks are the least played archetype from all 3?

To make the time to kill window wider you have to change healing and dps relation. Because the dmg mitigation never really changed from a tanks perspective.
(Actually some of the crowd control changes were massive, if you consider that dmg mitigation. compare to what it was, stagger used to be 9 seconds, not saying we should go backwards.)

The comparison regarding aoe heal and guarding is not a very good one. If I were suggesting "challange" to be removed from gcd then yes i would agree that is silly.
Dreadnari - Chosen
Chuckz - BlackOrc
Xalzius - Magus
Dreadclaw - White Lion
Boombastic - Engineer
Dobzse - Knight of the Blazing Sun

dshdf

Post#14 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:47 am

Dobzse wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:48 am
I disagree that guard is one of the strongest ability in the game. If thats the case how come tanks are the least played archetype from all 3?

[/quote]

guard is what defines meta, gameplay and compositions in this game more than any other ability
moreover, tanks probably have the highest overall impact on the battlefield outcomes
saying 1gcd is too slow is simply a git gud and communication issue
guard is (probably too) good as it is, further buffs would only create more balancing problems (e.g. even slower smallscale fights)

Dobzse

Post#15 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:05 am

dshdf wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:47 am

guard is what defines meta, gameplay and compositions in this game more than any other ability
moreover, tanks probably have the highest overall impact on the battlefield outcomes
saying 1gcd is too slow is simply a git gud and communication issue
guard is (probably too) good as it is, further buffs would only create more balancing problems (e.g. even slower smallscale fights)
Guard is just a tool/a way to keep dps and other classes to be able to fully specc glass cannon and to manage threat. To follow your logic if all you need is to be guarded to be relevant then maybe its the dps that needs to git gud. I am not asking to make tanks so they can be more lazy. Its the oposite i am suggesting. If a tank is that good he should be able to switch guard on demand while he is using his skills.
Guarding alone does not save you, you can be still punted away cc-d, your target can be morale nuked if timed correctly.
If the time to kill is low in highend premade 6v6 because of guard is too effecient then It's the mitigation factor that needs to be looked at, not the ability to switch it on whoever party member needs it. You could even adjust the range so the tank needs to be closer. Im neither suggesting these, just so you are able to use your skills but be able to switch your guarded target.

If guard is that broken why is there no suggestion to nerf guard? It is beucase of the above mentioned fact. Dps wishes to kill everything while being untouchable/unkillable. But if Tanks are asking a less frustrating tool to able to perform then everybody goes crazy. Because it would allow tanks to do their job.

A tank not being able to switch guard off the gcd is the same as healers and dps should also only be able to change their targets if they spend a gcd.
Dreadnari - Chosen
Chuckz - BlackOrc
Xalzius - Magus
Dreadclaw - White Lion
Boombastic - Engineer
Dobzse - Knight of the Blazing Sun

dshdf

Post#16 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:34 am

somehow you equalize target switching and actually casting an ability
just lol

should we also allow dps and healers switch targets of their spells in the middle of the cast?
that would be a fun concept, but for a different game
and in this one abilities that affect other players require gcd to cast

JohnnyWayne

Post#17 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:00 pm

Another weak point to make, you CAN switch target on the heal for DPS healers during cast time. You just made a point for moving guard off of GCD.

Group heals are not really affected by GCD when they are spammed due to cast time. And guard would still have its internal cooldown, independant of GCD. Unlike the skills you bring up here. You could even increase the cd on guard to 3 seconds or something to remove your previous point of guard switch spamming.

Feels like you are argueing without finding a solid point there mate.

geezereur

Post#18 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:22 pm

really buffing the strongest ability in the game?

Ads
JohnnyWayne

Post#19 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:53 pm

geezereur wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:22 pm really buffing the strongest ability in the game?
Not necessarily. Moving it off GCD but giving it a slightly longer cd, might be a QoL improvement, without a buff or maybe even a nerf.

Faction69

Post#20 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:52 pm

JohnnyWayne wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:53 pm
geezereur wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:22 pm really buffing the strongest ability in the game?
Not necessarily. Moving it off GCD but giving it a slightly longer cd, might be a QoL improvement, without a buff or maybe even a nerf.
Taking it off the gcd is not just QoL, it's making the ability flat out better.