Recent Topics

Ads

Buff Tank ability: Guard

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Dobzse

Re: Buff Tank ability: Guard

Post#21 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:52 pm

Faction69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:52 pm Taking it off the gcd is not just QoL, it's making the ability flat out better.
Yes, like the title says Buff Guard. Allow tanks to do their jobb so its less frustrating to guard party members.
Dreadnari - Chosen
Chuckz - BlackOrc
Xalzius - Magus
Dreadclaw - White Lion
Boombastic - Engineer
Dobzse - Knight of the Blazing Sun

Ads
JohnnyWayne

Post#22 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:01 pm

It is not, if you give it a CD that is longer than 2 seconds.

Dobzse

Post#23 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:21 pm

JohnnyWayne wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:01 pm It is not, if you give it a CD that is longer than 2 seconds.
I'd be okay with that as long as it does not interfere with every other skill.
Dreadnari - Chosen
Chuckz - BlackOrc
Xalzius - Magus
Dreadclaw - White Lion
Boombastic - Engineer

Akilinus

Post#24 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:39 pm

You should be able to swap guard while knocked down too.
Kkomrade 80 Zealot Akilinuz 80 Chosen Zaiyer 80 Marauder
Kkomrades 80 Black Guard Sauer 80 Squig herder Nosler 80 Witch Elf Soniq 70 Shaman

Faction69

Post#25 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:52 pm

Dobzse wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:52 pm
Faction69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:52 pm Taking it off the gcd is not just QoL, it's making the ability flat out better.
Yes, like the title says Buff Guard. Allow tanks to do their jobb so its less frustrating to guard party members.
I don't think the best ability in the game needs a buff.

Dobzse

Post#26 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:46 pm

Faction69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:52 pm I don't think the best ability in the game needs a buff.
Can you explain why you think guard is the best skill in game?
If it is the best skill how come tanks are the least played archetype from all 3.
Do you think that after they will overhaul healing and dps the most important tank skill should be left untouched ?
Dreadnari - Chosen
Chuckz - BlackOrc
Xalzius - Magus
Dreadclaw - White Lion
Boombastic - Engineer

Faction69

Post#27 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 pm

Dobzse wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:46 pm
Faction69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:52 pm I don't think the best ability in the game needs a buff.
If it is the best skill how come tanks are the least played archetype from all 3.
Do you think that after they will overhaul healing and dps the most important tank skill should be left untouched ?
A permanent 50% dmg diversion that stays on while attacking (unlike detaunt) is obviously absurdly powerful. Splitting damage between two players, one of whom is incredibly durable, is so good in a game with powerful aoe healing that it doesn't really require any explanation. Without it any dps class falls over immediately regardless of how hard they're being healed. It is completely required for any functional group, out of all the abilities in the game it's the most game changing by far.

Tanks are underplayed if anything because 2H has been nerfed too much from live, this has nothing to do with guard and actually everything to do with things largely unrelated to it - offensive capability. It's boring to be a near pure support class even if it's effective and required. The way to fix this is not to lean even more into the one absurdly good thing about tanks.

Valfaros

Post#28 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:40 pm

Faction69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
A permanent 50% dmg diversion that stays on while attacking (unlike detaunt) is obviously absurdly powerful. Splitting damage between two players, one of whom is incredibly durable, is so good in a game with powerful aoe healing that it doesn't really require any explanation. Without it any dps class falls over immediately regardless of how hard they're being healed. It is completely required for any functional group, out of all the abilities in the game it's the most game changing by far.

Tanks are underplayed if anything because 2H has been nerfed too much from live, this has nothing to do with guard and actually everything to do with things largely unrelated to it - offensive capability. It's boring to be a near pure support class even if it's effective and required. The way to fix this is not to lean even more into the one absurdly good thing about tanks.
I mean, it's not just that. The fact that almost all of the DPS can then be avoided contributes a lot to just how strong this ability is. Just think about a skill that buffs everyone's DPS against one target by 100%, and all you need to do is stand next to it. Sounds kind of overpowered, right? Guard is one of the reasons a premade is so far outmatching any PUG group.

However, it doesn't end there, by cutting the DPS in half. Guard stacks with other damage-reducing skills like Challenge and increased resistances, making this skill just busted in my eyes. It practically means that two enemy DPS cannot kill you if your guard stays next to you and you are getting healed.

Your argument is also very weak. Just because a class is strong does not mean it will be played. If it is boring to play, people won't play it.

In my eyes, Guard could be made more easily usable by, for example, indicating what addons already do through an effect like a green and red energy line. However, buffing it, like removing the GCD, should come together with decreasing its effectiveness.

Ads
Dobzse

Post#29 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:03 pm

Valfaros wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:40 pm I mean, it's not just that. The fact that almost all of the DPS can then be avoided contributes a lot to just how strong this ability is. Just think about a skill that buffs everyone's DPS against one target by 100%, and all you need to do is stand next to it. Sounds kind of overpowered, right? Guard is one of the reasons a premade is so far outmatching any PUG group.

However, it doesn't end there, by cutting the DPS in half. Guard stacks with other damage-reducing skills like Challenge and increased resistances, making this skill just busted in my eyes. It practically means that two enemy DPS cannot kill you if your guard stays next to you and you are getting healed.

Your argument is also very weak. Just because a class is strong does not mean it will be played. If it is boring to play, people won't play it.

In my eyes, Guard could be made more easily usable by, for example, indicating what addons already do through an effect like a green and red energy line. However, buffing it, like removing the GCD, should come together with decreasing its effectiveness.
I think you are right. Let's try to hit two birds with one stone. let's say get it off the GCD reduce the dmg mitigation part, however If you as a tank start to take guard dmg then it makes the tank "angry" and the tank will start to deal more dmg (so they get a stacking buff of somekind). I'm not gona say numbers here but it should allow tanks to be more of a pain instead of what they are right now, boring.
Dreadnari - Chosen
Chuckz - BlackOrc
Xalzius - Magus
Dreadclaw - White Lion
Boombastic - Engineer

Faction69

Post#30 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:50 pm

Valfaros wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:40 pm
Faction69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I mean, it's not just that. The fact that almost all of the DPS can then be avoided contributes a lot to just how strong this ability is. Just think about a skill that buffs everyone's DPS against one target by 100%, and all you need to do is stand next to it. Sounds kind of overpowered, right? Guard is one of the reasons a premade is so far outmatching any PUG group.

I'm not sure if you replied to the wrong person. My post was about how guard is extremely good, I agree with you.