Recent Topics

Ads

Scenario Matchmaking Rework Megathread

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
JohnnyWayne

Re: Scenario Matchmaking Rework Megathread

Post#71 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:32 pm

Bozzax wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:50 am Maybe look into why high rr/geared players switch realm or drop queue when they sense one side being weaker or queue discordant only

Quite telling tbh
I want to pick up your thoughts here. The first you describe is a symptom of a bad match making implementation. Under a new system that does what it is inteded to do, this should occur far less. On your second point, this is why I adressed the restructuring of rewards in SCs to make hard balanced fights just as or even more rewarding as one sided farming SCs.
Bozzax wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:10 pm The goal of most scens IS killing shitloads of ppl. Very few maps play out differently

It is more effective to trigger a surrender then doing “flags, carry stuff, control objectives”
I have to agree here. Most SCs are flawed designs in the regard that they don't reward or even allow playing the objective if the lobby is one sided. See Altdorf Academy as an example. A well designed SC in that regard is old dwarf road, but people hate it for that. I have to disagree on the barrier thing though. Barriers give a save space to respawn and regroup, contrary to guards, which can be abused by ranged dps onboth sides (as I mentioned before).
Moving respawns are also a bad idea. Even though I hate twisting towers, it combines all concepts (guards, barriers and multiple entries with a single spawn) on the lower levels and is probably has the best respawn location for comebacks, even if one side got pushed to the (lower) spawn. The upper spawn... not so much.

Ads
Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#72 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 pm

Here are my 2 cents.

1-According you have 3 tier scs, and according a scenario needs atleast 2x6 or more likely 2x12 players (meaning quite 50% of T1 total population) to be played :
- Limit the number of available scenarios to 2 choices per tier (+event sc when available) : solo discordant skirmish and grouped random scenario. (if point 2 (below) is something interesting, remove solo discordant skirmish too, cause it would no longer make sense)

2-According there are a lot of complains about premades vs pu, introduce the idea of "asymetrical" factions. I explain. We all agree that 12 non organised players vs 2 premades whatever the composition is, lead always to the same result : premades wins.
So i assume that having 2/2/2 PUG vs whateveryouwant Premade is not good. Which drives me to this suggestion :
Put a "weight" on every player (MMR ?) and matchmake a sc on the base of the "weight", as for tabletop warhammer > If side A represent 1000 points, then drop 1000 points on side B, even if it represent 1 or 3 more players. So we could have 1 premade + 3 PU players (9) vs 12 PU players, important thing being to preserve as much as possible the weight balance. (If you think that having non balanced pop sounds like a stupid idea, just look in openRvR :) )

Imho, i would be fair for PU, and chalenging for premades. Furthermore, this would remove and replace ranked sc in a better way for everyone.

Mixing 1+2, we could have better quality Scs, whatever the connected population or the tier.

There were my 2 cents.

Thank you.

PS : Ah oh and yes, remove/modify or impose sanctions when someone use the .surrender option and those who say "yes" : (small debuff to tag again ? 0 crest ?)

GONDOR

Post#73 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:53 pm

zumos2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:05 pm
“We are also hoping to improve the scenario grouping if for any reason a premade is put against a pick up group. Although we want to mainly not mix pugs and premades.”
This is a really big worry. The game should promote players for making premades, not potentially punish them. If this system punishes you for forming a group by just not giving you scenario pops, that would be terrible.

In general I think that no scenario should pop without every group having at least 1 tank and 1 healer. If a full premade enters the scenario you could increase that restriction to always having a 2-2-2, so there is a good fighting chance. A random 2-2-2 with good players can still beat a bad full premade in a 12v12+ scenario.

Of course if there are an equal amount of premades on both sides they can be matched against each other. But if the system forces it, additional rewards would be fair. In general I think the rewards of scenarios vs RvR are imbalanced at the moment. Only feels worth doing scenarios during the weekend event.
I think this mentality is dangerous and extremely toxic to the long-term health of ror. You don't need to incentivise people into forming a 2/2/2 - simply increasing your odds of winning through organisation should be enough reason.

The whole "you should group up, it's a group game" mindset is how we've ended up in this seal clubbing no-pop low-pop mess; people will do what's most optimal and will not engage in subpar activities, like queing solo. This is how ror loses players.

Players are drawn to ror.for the PvP - sometimes just a quick couple of games after work - if they get clubbed consistently by premades, they are more likely to just play something else.

When they stop queing because of being seal clubbed then queues dry up, everyone suffers and no one plays. If there no reason or incentive for them to queue on the face of clubbong - why should they bother?

You often hear the counter of "they should just group up", but problem is two fold; first theres a higher burden of organisation required to form one, and not everyone has the time or desire, to group up when they may have only an hour to play.

Secondly, if people have queued and had a bad experience, they are just as likely to do something else than they are to group up, so the pool of available players diminishes. As easy as it is to blast them for being casual or soft - that's reality - their time is worth more to them and they can get their fulfillment elsewhere.

There are many other levers to pull to encourage people to group up - again, rewarding the intended ideal way to play is not good game design and lacks thought. You want to reward people on the way to the desired mentality - reward them for making the correct steps, incentivise the journey, not for jumping through hoops to get the correct solution. You don't get full marks for just the answer to a math question, a majority of marks comes from doing the working.

Advocating mixing pugs and premades over premades vs premades is peak seal clubber territory.

Imo any bonus rewards like crests should be for 1-1-1 or alert based "tanks are needed in queue, join now". Lower the burden it takes to become organised with good incentives and we will see better shifts in player behaviour.

Pushing people to 1/1/1 will also speed up match making as it's easier for the game to backfill a 6 if it can get half a group, instead of a full 6 and then waiting for an ideal mix in the pug queue.

Rewarding 2/2/2 further than their already inherent bonuses of being organised only further worsens the problems we have with sc and general game pop.

Asderas27

Post#74 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:18 pm

average forum posters will perform any amount of mental gymnastics required to avoid grouping up.
Surely satisfying their needs will improve the server
)
The Unlikely Plan
Ramjumper - Knight of the Blazing Sun
Shewhispers - Swordmaster
Punishingknock - Ironbreaker
TUP
Bellowabuser - Chosen
Moralepumper - Black Orc
Mindkiller - Blackguard

Dackjanielz

Post#75 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:26 pm

The entire point of objectives is to give the losing side a chance to fight back, the trouble is this has been nerfed so many times that killing is the only viable option.

So as soon as its obvious one side is trouncing the other theres no longer any point in fighting because when you lose you get absolutely F all.

Its terrible game design straight up.

Objectives should play more of a part and the losers should stop being punished constantly.

this goes for RVR aswell, right now the winner takes everything the losers get nothing, so as soon as its obvious your losing everyone just leaves and i dont blame them one iota. I have also noticed that healers are once again punished for healing people outside of group, no RP or crests for doing such things.

So healers are now discouraged to heal or rez anyone outside of group, how is this healthy for the game remotely? If anything healers should get BONUS rewards because they're doing a hard job that no one else wants too!

But everywhere i look on this game the rewards are exclusive rather than inclusive.

Its madness.

lemao

Post#76 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:00 pm

Dackjanielz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:26 pm The entire point of objectives is to give the losing side a chance to fight back, the trouble is this has been nerfed so many times that killing is the only viable option.

So as soon as its obvious one side is trouncing the other theres no longer any point in fighting because when you lose you get absolutely F all.

Objectives should play more of a part and the losers should stop being punished constantly.

this goes for RVR aswell, right now the winner takes everything the losers get nothing, so as soon as its obvious your losing everyone just leaves and i dont blame them one iota. I have also noticed that healers are once again punished for healing people outside of group, no RP or crests for doing such things.

So healers are now discouraged to heal or rez anyone outside of group, how is this healthy for the game remotely? If anything healers should get BONUS rewards because they're doing a hard job that no one else wants too!

But everywhere i look on this game the rewards are exclusive rather than inclusive.

Its madness.
If i want to do PVE im going to do Gunbad

Dackjanielz

Post#77 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:03 pm

lemao wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:00 pm
Dackjanielz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:26 pm The entire point of objectives is to give the losing side a chance to fight back, the trouble is this has been nerfed so many times that killing is the only viable option.

Its madness.
If i want to do PVE im going to do Gunbad

That is good, have a spidery time!

agemennon675

Post#78 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:07 pm

Asderas27 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:18 pm average forum posters will perform any amount of mental gymnastics required to avoid grouping up.
Surely satisfying their needs will improve the server
)
Make a 40/40 dps on for example order try to group up in /5 just for the testing see how long it takes to make a 2-2-2 t4 sc party, most of the times player who want to group up cannot do it even if they wanted to, that is why these players ask for devs for a solution because playerbase is elitist, and then the next answer comes find a guild, check the serious guild pages and you will see they are only recruiting tanks/healers SL/WL if you arent playing these classes tough luck you can only get in a pug/open warband casual group, after 2 hours of finding a group if you are lucky that is you queue and face double premade rr80+ 4-4-4 you get smashed and players leave journey begins from 0, anyway I dont want to derail the thread here sorry but this had to be posted because somehow certain players just lack empathy to understand the experience of a new player... I am sure devs will make a better system for the scs we tried having matchmaker in the past that resulted in long queue times for everyone and they reverted it, trial and error we will slowly have a better system for everyone as long as decision makers have good intentions and its proven they do.
Destruction: 40-BG / 40-DoK / 40-Chosen / 37-Mara / 37/Sorc / 36-SH / 36-Choppa / 24-Shaman / 16-WE
Order: 40-SW / 40-SM / 40-WP / 40-WL / 39-Kotbs / 38-BW / 33-AM / 22-WH / 16-RP / 12-Slayer

Ads
JohnnyWayne

Post#79 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:47 pm

For the matching you have to keep in mind that SCs are the casual version of ranked. Or ranked is the competetive version of SCs. What ever way you prefer. I feel like, Elo/ MMR or something along those lines are out of place here. You can add that as a factor to your match maker for ranked but not regular SCs.

As for the "just group up faction". If that is your point against having a proper match making, it has multiple flaws. Some were already adressed. Here a little write up:

Aspects that are present for the current implementation:
  • Lack of people grouping up: Especially on Destro, there are times where no people are looking for party members or vice versa, nobody joins parties. A predominant destro issue.
  • Lack of Premades on the lower Pop Side: Even if you build a premade, you still often face two premades on the opposing side, where as you get a party of healers or tanks. These are missing in other DPS heavy SCs btw, as the match maker has issues with an unhealthy archetype priorization.
Aspects that would remain in a premade only SC queue:
  • Time Limitations: Not everyone has the time to build or join a party as they lack time to play for longer.
  • Gear Inequallity: Bis premades would still farm fresh 40 or mixed premades, if there is no proper match maker in place.
  • Catering towards Elitists: Some players like to stick among themselves. That is alright as long as that does not affect others negativly. A system like that would alienate rather than include people from queueing for SCs. See the ranked SC queue as demonstration.
It seems people don't understand that PuG players are the backbone of the game, that makes the game playable in many aspects. Usually the same people disrespect their enemies as they don't understand, those players are the reason they have a game to play in the first place. If there would only be competetive players around, you wouldn't have a lot of game left to play. Competetive players are only a small share of the overall population.

Emissary
Community Management

Post#80 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:36 pm

Yaliskah wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 pm
Here are my 2 cents.

2-According there are a lot of complains about premades vs pu, introduce the idea of "asymetrical" factions. I explain. We all agree that 12 non organised players vs 2 premades whatever the composition is, lead always to the same result : premades wins.

So i assume that having 2/2/2 PUG vs whateveryouwant Premade is not good. Which drives me to this suggestion :

Put a "weight" on every player (MMR ?) and matchmake a sc on the base of the "weight", as for tabletop warhammer > If side A represent 1000 points, then drop 1000 points on side B, even if it represent 1 or 3 more players. So we could have 1 premade + 3 PU players (9) vs 12 PU players, important thing being to preserve as much as possible the weight balance. (If you think that having non balanced pop sounds like a stupid idea, just look in openRvR :) )

Very good thoughts, Yali. That is the reason most games have gone to an MMR type system. Does it actually have to be 12v12? or 6v6? Can it be 1000 points vs 1000 points no matter the # of players? Something to think about I would say.

I have zero knoweldge of what is going on with the balance team or the sc changes so I think I can throw my opinion out there and be just that my opinion.

I have all classes in the game and a majority of them 70 or above. I have played in so many different sc iterations whether sweaty premade, fun premade, and/or solo non-optimal build play. I have never seen a scenario where the shields helped. On live being able to kite the stronger team into the guards did give us "lower optimized/skilled" players a fighting chance. The shield just gives us the chance to hide.

I have never been in an sc group that was the ones excited about stomping pugs, in fact we have stopped queing more than I can count just because we knew if we continued we would drive the opposing faction to just log out. A more visible queing system just as in ranked would be leaps ahead of where we are now. Even that small change that most likely could be implimented quickly would be a positive. Even if nothing else changed that would be the quickest solution win at this time.

I would say even a way to see how many in que are a 6man, 5man, 4man, etc would be possible and needed. I could see oh there are no 6 mans queing at this time, well I am not forming a 6 man to just roflstomp pugs.

The majority of our balance team is strict 6 man competive players, so my thoughts would be that the team could get a quick win by working on scenarios as that is where a lot of the strong assetts are at anyways.

I would, however, caution as most of us that have played this game a long time remember when we tried to fix the que system in the past and how quickly we realized that did not work for lower population times. I would suggest a system that would be fluid based on population balance and those in que. Where it went wide open at a certian population queing level and more restrictive the more in que.
"Courage, Honor, Loyalty, Sacrifice. You're braver than you think."

Watch me on Twitch!!!