Recent Topics

Ads

Let's discuss AoE CC

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Nameless

Re: Let's discuss AoE CC

Post#31 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:25 pm

Bozzax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:49 pm 1. Order and dest aren’t mirrors
2. CoC is dest only , mrd aoe ksd is dest only
3. Order has other strengths

The claim is it is harder playing order healer.
This is bc of cc

I’d like to point out population and playing mostly on a numerically weaker side has a much greater impact than cc for heals (in my opinion).

There are simply more dest that push order back lines and when I play order healer blob this at least for me is why it sometimes feels harder

Equal numbers I actually feel more exposed as dest bc of the higher burst and spiked of order realm
Imo it is not even the population disparity. Destro side just got more frontline picks to choose from for rvr environment. Sh are pretty solid on debuffs and decent on damage with high movement arsenal. So it is easier for destro to bring havoc on orders backline. This alone is enough to change the combat flow.
Not to mention that destro frontline just looks and feels more threatening even just for the looks.
So healers balance and feels between the fractions comes mainly from external factors
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Ads
Bozzax

Post#32 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:37 pm

I only fear choppas that don’t use gtdc and rsh. That and players that are dangerous on every class :D
A reasonable RvR system that could make the majority happy http://imgur.com/HL6cgl7

Paxsanarion

Post#33 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:38 pm

Vaul wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:19 pm
Rotgut wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:10 pm
The usual words of wisdom from Mr. Rotgut and imo the most (only?) unbiased post so far.

I am interested what you make of the OP and Aoe CC discussed in the thread?
Rotgut and Gondor …… they both provide great insight and vision. I appreciate them both for their wisdom, and I nominate them for the balance team lol :-)

Alubert

Post#34 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:04 pm

I believe, on the contrary, that I would prefer more hard CC than it currently is. Missing something like in other games like BLIND and and more upward tosses like BO RITJ.

As for GTDC I would be happy if the pull component was removed completely then maybe I would finally start using it on my Choppa. In my opinion free immun eliminates it completely from the choppa arsenal.

As for DoK conv, how can you compare just one component that has better DoK than WP? Why don't you compare the two classes before you start crying what DoK is op.
I would be very happy to give snare conv for WP m1 and Exalted Defense tactic. Swap them for one month between DOK and WP. By the way swap Chosen 25% inc heal debuff aura for KNIGHT and let Chosen get 15% more heal to pt tact. Then we will see what our crying order players will say.
Hurub Chopa 80+ / Wybrany Chosen 80+ / Mroczniak BG 60+ / Alubercik BO 50+ / Doczek DoK 80+ / Hurubek Zeal 80+ /
Misio Shaman 80+ / Maxra Mara 60+ / Alubertus RP 70+ / Alubert KTB 80+ / Mnich WP 60+ / Kregi SL 60+ / Uposledzonyjez IB 40+

wonshot

Post#35 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:21 pm

Aoe crowdcontrol cant be looked at isolated, none of the advantages on the two realms can..

Before Ranked sceanarios and City instances the game had a "balance but not balanced" kinda approach to it, it almost feels like trying to make everything fair and even has ripped this up and every step is just one forfeit closer to going full mirror balacinging instead of two realms with two different playstyles and lists of advantages.

It used to be something like this:
Order had stronger healing modifiers. Destro had easier acces to incomingheal debuff aura to cancel out the knight +15%
Order had more glass canon dps, destro had more durable mdps and formed a melee playstyle with Msh monstro mara.
Order had more offensive tempo with BW M2 (sorc got mirror) Destro had faster defensive Moral pumps on tanks
Order had two classes to provide Pierce defence against Destro's one without having a ranged provider really.
Order had stronger heal/damage procs on WP. Destro had more control procs with Dok
Order had 1sec cast+1sec delay on Magnet. Destro had 1sec cast+0sec delay on Rift.
Order had no aoe knockdown. Destro had Monstro Mara aoe knock
Order had no aoe cc advantage on Aoe pulls, aoe knock, aoe interrupts, Kaboom longest aoe punt (MSH OuttamyWay + zealot Winds of Insanity having aoe punts with no immunities)

And then comes all the critchance advantages, ap pump, ap drain, debuffs etc etc etc.

But it was clear that Order had advantage in raw numbers with bit more procs, crit, punch against Destros's come beafy and controlling advantages and then you just played to your strengths instead of trying to be a weaker version of what the enemy could do.
But if Order ever got an aoe knockdown while having stronger damage/healing numbers then what sort of product would it be. Same for any of the realm-advantages, eventhough this already got kinda messed up with the morale pump changes a while back.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

Bohavwn

Post#36 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:44 pm

wonshot wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:21 pm Aoe crowdcontrol cant be looked at isolated, none of the advantages on the two realms can..

Before Ranked sceanarios and City instances the game had a "balance but not balanced" kinda approach to it, it almost feels like trying to make everything fair and even has ripped this up and every step is just one forfeit closer to going full mirror balacinging instead of two realms with two different playstyles and lists of advantages.

It used to be something like this:
Order had stronger healing modifiers. Destro had easier acces to incomingheal debuff aura to cancel out the knight +15%
Order had more glass canon dps, destro had more durable mdps and formed a melee playstyle with Msh monstro mara.
Order had more offensive tempo with BW M2 (sorc got mirror) Destro had faster defensive Moral pumps on tanks
Order had two classes to provide Pierce defence against Destro's one without having a ranged provider really.
Order had stronger heal/damage procs on WP. Destro had more control procs with Dok
Order had 1sec cast+1sec delay on Magnet. Destro had 1sec cast+0sec delay on Rift.
Order had no aoe knockdown. Destro had Monstro Mara aoe knock
Order had no aoe cc advantage on Aoe pulls, aoe knock, aoe interrupts, Kaboom longest aoe punt (MSH OuttamyWay + zealot Winds of Insanity having aoe punts with no immunities)

And then comes all the critchance advantages, ap pump, ap drain, debuffs etc etc etc.

But it was clear that Order had advantage in raw numbers with bit more procs, crit, punch against Destros's come beafy and controlling advantages and then you just played to your strengths instead of trying to be a weaker version of what the enemy could do.
But if Order ever got an aoe knockdown while having stronger damage/healing numbers then what sort of product would it be. Same for any of the realm-advantages, eventhough this already got kinda messed up with the morale pump changes a while back.
100% correct. Factions had their strengths and weaknesses. different but on the larger scale closely balanced. but then you had people run to the forums asking for the nerfing of the opposing realms strengths. One of the most frustrating things to read was someone saying "well x class has so and so but my class doesn't"

Xameleon

Post#37 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:36 pm

wonshot wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:21 pm Aoe crowdcontrol cant be looked at isolated, none of the advantages on the two realms can..
Thank you for sharing your perspective on overall balance situation between two realms and your concerns about giving order some destro exclusive tools like AoE CD. It's always a pleasure to see a veteran player sharing his experience and ideas.

I do agree with you, that simply giving order something as powerful as AoE CD may bring the game to a more unbalanced state that it is currently in.
However, I do not believe that the game is well balanced when the same role(healer) with the same execution(positioning) may experience difficulties surviving on order side and at the same time have an easy time playing destro side.

I understand, that all-in-all game may be balanced in terms of overall side performance with such state, but I don't think that it is "fair". I have no idea if "fair" should be accounted while balancing the game, that's why I want to learn what people think about it.

mazi761111

Post#38 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:07 am

BoriqOne wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:54 pm
mazi761111 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:19 am At present, 80%of the bad players and leisure players now, never learn better, complain in the forum every day. Essence So many good players have quit the game。
NO Order characters, hmmm. the complaining is legit, but try Order for a year,..... enjoy.
i have 4 80+ order ..if i get kill i not complain they class op..i just try do beter,,,now server order or des if get kill they will say slayer op chopa op .xxx op ...and nver try play good
choson:badchosen
chopa:bigpanties

Ads
BoriqOne

Post#39 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 am

mazi761111 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:07 am
BoriqOne wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:54 pm
mazi761111 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:19 am At present, 80%of the bad players and leisure players now, never learn better, complain in the forum every day. Essence So many good players have quit the game。
NO Order characters, hmmm. the complaining is legit, but try Order for a year,..... enjoy.
i have 4 80+ order ..if i get kill i not complain they class op..i just try do beter,,,now server order or des if get kill they will say slayer op chopa op .xxx op ...and nver try play good
hey i did get better and am playing my best now, WITH Destruction, lmao...it's the only way to play tbh. it all works fine on this side, go figure.

GONDOR

Post#40 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:22 am

CyunUnderis wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:17 am I don't think the example you took is good (especially in 24 vs 24 or Zerg vs Zerg - might be more real in 6 vs 6 or 12 vs 12). The greater the mass, the weaker the combo Clean + CD reducer is compared to the combo ID + CD reducer because, like you say, there is a lot of debuffs (including DoT), so ID will naturally be covered, even if the Slayers don't do it themselves.
leftayparxoun wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:57 am Even ignoring the other debuffs that may be placed alongside ID, like Cyun mentions, proposing that For The Witch King (FTWK, Destro CD reducer) can be used to counter ID is a completely wrong mentality imo, and does the argument for ID no favours. Let me explain:

I demonstrated in my previous comment how ID can quickly get out of hand when purposely stacked. If FTWK+Cleanses is the intended counter to it then, in my opinion, it is a game design mistake:

For Order to successfully perform the offense it just requires Slayers in the same party paired with a WW SM. You could have 2 parties in a wb for example with the same strategy.
For Destro to successfully perform the counter-defence it requires a FTWK bg in EVERY party that may be attacked by the enemy blob.
As a result:
1. It limits Destro's warband class options (by practically enforcing a Chosen+ FTWK Bg duo for Meta comps)
2. It promotes defensive use of FTWK (save it for when the ID train starts) vs free use of WW for Order (use it whenever you want to apply pressure)
3. It may even promote a similar class diversity issue on Order, where Kotbs + WW SM are stacked with Slayers in every party.

On the other hand, while Furious Stomping can't be disenchanted by certain classes (like IBs as was mentioned) you don't need to have 1 disenchanting class in every party; as long as there are sufficient tanks near the backline that can disenchant Choppas (For example 4 Kotbs, 1 from every party, especially if using the Destroy Enchantment tactic) the issue shouldn't require a change in Order party composition.

To summarize:
- Having to change party/warband composition to a great degree to counter just a single ability is bad game design and should be avoided at any cost.
- Having to change faction-wide class builds to a great degree to counter just a single ability is an even worse game design (and the reason I'm glad old Rampage got rightfully changed)

While I didn't want to detract from the original topic, I believe many of the things we have discussed here are also relevant to possible balancing of other issues, like for the CC discussion. For that reason I decided to keep the conversation going. I hope neither the Author of the post or the people reading it mind this (imo needed) detour.
My point was that it's bad faith and a misdirect to argue X skill is powerful under XYZ circumstances and then fail to apply a similar level of circumstance to the counter. That is no different from saying 5 Slayers are more powerful than 1 DoK; therefore, Slayers are broken. If you're going to apply circumstance to justify your points, you need to apply the same level of circumstance to the counter and then assess and discuss the balance.

You mention that you need to have a BG in EVERY party with a cleanser - with SM and WW you'll still need to have a SM in EVERY party with slayers, it kinda cancels out. Also you can use a FotWK boosted cleanse out of party; so realistically you could get 2-for-1, just like Slayer and SM.

Furious Stomping is - as you acknowledge - harder to remove, shatter is similarly uncommon to ailment cleanse, but still has to be executed in melee range, and
successfully pass defence checks.

Tell me how easy it was to shatter Rampage.

Both skills have the ability to be covered by other ailments or buffs - this is super basic, but if you break it down to the counter-play available, FS has much higher agency and less native counterplay. ID, if you really wanted to, you could move away from the group - only a W key is required. You can't stop a Choppa W-keying you without spending something.

While ID can be applied to multiple targets, Furious Stompin lets you move it with you - hugely underrated in power. As I said earlier, as a driver, if I had the choice of both skills as they are, I'd be having my guys take FS. It's more homogenous, flexible, and isn't reliant on your target - you are in control.

Both factions have comp restrictions on what is FotM, Destro with Choppa (Why take a mara/SH/Sorc when you can take MORE CHOP), Order with WL(? is it now BW - doesn't matter; point is what happened to dear engie).

The way to break up wonky warband comp is to stop pidgeoning classes into specific roles, it completely strips the organic nature out of the meta. If all classes have multiple viable specs, counters will naturally be formed, quite quickly. This is opposite to your summary of what you think is poor game design. If players have a lack of tools, then whatever is the hardest to deal with will rise to the top.

Games go through this all the time, particularly the more competitive ORvR ones. Classes might not change super frequently, but changing specs and gear sets is a core part of what kept many of those games running for a long time. It's poor game design to not have the ability to adapt your character to changing situations; it's why we constantly have such difficulties in attaining parity; the masteries and specs for many classes suck, and there's maybe 2 viable specs. For healers, there's usually only 1.

I don't want to detour the topic either, but it often seems to derail with players liking to talk about how their faction is wonky. The are some serious painpoints that are covered within the OP that are relevant, to what we're discussing, especially the un-noted bias (not balance favouritism) between the core mechanics of MMO PvP concepts and how it affects balance.

I think it's painfully clear to everyone that the balance issues run deep, and that it's exceptionally broad, touching on huge swathes of the game.