Recent Topics

Ads

Launch Next Ranked Season Jan 4

Let's talk about... everything else
trh382

Launch Next Ranked Season Jan 4

Post#1 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:48 pm

Waiting 6 months to run the seasons because the game isn't ready isn't really an approach that makes sense

Just keep running 4-6 week seasons and quickly rolling out balance tweaks - that is the point of the new ability system - fast/easy implementation of changes/fixes

I understand why there is a culture of careful execution with a live game and a community relying on things being stable - nonetheless, one of the central insights in software development in the last 30 years is that you need to ship something, have users try it, and iterate from there.

Get people into ranked games - there are a lot of players who only log on for that. The evidence from a season of ranked will give you a lot of material for small scale balance tweaks.

Ads
dalinvar

Re: Launch Next Ranked Season Jan 4

Post#2 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:07 pm

Thi
trh382 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:48 pm Waiting 6 months to run the seasons because the game isn't ready isn't really an approach that makes sense

Just keep running 4-6 week seasons and quickly rolling out balance tweaks - that is the point of the new ability system - fast/easy implementation of changes/fixes

I understand why there is a culture of careful execution with a live game and a community relying on things being stable - nonetheless, one of the central insights in software development in the last 30 years is that you need to ship something, have users try it, and iterate from there.

Get people into ranked games - there are a lot of players who only log on for that. The evidence from a season of ranked will give you a lot of material for small scale balance tweaks.
this is a private server

trh382

Post#3 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:09 pm

dalinvar wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:07 pm Thi
trh382 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:48 pm Waiting 6 months to run the seasons because the game isn't ready isn't really an approach that makes sense

this is a private server
I dont really understand how that is relevant to my point

ShadowWar

Post#4 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:25 pm

trh382 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:09 pm
I dont really understand how that is relevant to my point
My thought exactly.

I agree with the approach to software development being important lessons to take from elsewhere to a similar system. I won't speak towards the ranked seasons being high priority, as I don't know much about them, barely ever played them, and don't know anyone who does really. By nature it is very silo'd off, so that would make sense for non-participants, it's an invisible activity to the rest of the game.

trh382

Post#5 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:23 am

curious if there are any plans for when ranked season will be?

Emissary
Community Management

Post#6 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:01 pm

Looking for people that care about ranked?

"Courage, Honor, Loyalty, Sacrifice. You're braver than you think."

Watch me on Twitch!!!

IrkulixAenDeith

Post#7 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:33 pm

I care about solo ranked. If you want to find out who else might care, see Ranked Leaderboards for season 6.
Many of these players log in just to play ranked games. For me, this is the best pvp experience of all MMOs and I doubt anything better will be created.
It is sad how this game mode has been treated in the past. I say this mainly about the postponement of the start of the seasons, more than a year waiting for the start of a new one and now I see that nothing has changed in the approach...

Evilspinnre

Post#8 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:09 pm

Emissary wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:01 pm Looking for people that care about ranked?

It takes 5s to switch from preseason to season, let the 200 players that participate get something out of it.
Evilspinnre - Nightmare/Daydream - Xrealmers Anonymous
80+ AM, WL, WP, BW, SL, SM, 50+ RP, SW, IB
80+ BG, Sorc, WE, Mara, Choppa, SH, 60+ Zeal, Shaman, Blork
https://www.youtube.com/user/EvilspinnrePvP
https://www.twitch.tv/evilspinnrepvp

Ads
trh382

Post#9 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:29 am

Emissary wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:01 pm Looking for people that care about ranked?

Plenty of players enjoy ranked - as evidenced by the fact that it was played very actively the second the season went live.