Recent Topics

Ads

DGvoodoo2 Testing Performance

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
besaidaurocks

DGvoodoo2 Testing Performance

Post#1 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:01 pm

So I saw some post of forum for dgvoodoo2 to get running directx 12 but none of them seem got smoothly running, so having spent hundreds of hours twinking for older mmo called Anarchy online I decided to applly knowload here and see what happens, I have done literally rough test with about 1 hour of play but so far seem be working with noticable increase 1% lows

Here is quirk i Noticed of Anarchy online that seems to apply here too. I find that latest version of dgvoodoo2 use something called specialized shaders , in older verision this could be disabled (2.78.2) but in newer version it can not be and is on by default. You can access this in in the directx ext tab, which you can access by clicking on some blank space in control panel and right clicking show all tabs.

From my findings in Anarchy online and with some breif testing here, specilized shader can cuase some huge framerate drops in certain areas. in 2.81.1 the latest verison of dgvoodoo2 specizied shadesr can not be disabled. So for those wanting to test it out try 2.78.2 I seem to have go it working in directx 12 and so far it look be working fine will check for drops or stutters.

I will double check my finding by playing over next few day it may turn to be oppisote that specilaized shaders are better but it still worth using 2.78.2 since this last version where specilized shader can be turned on and off. The reason not use early then 2.78.2 is there is bug for some games were dgvoodoo2 report doubel fps back to GPU so ingame it will show 100 but overlay like nvidia will show 200, I am not a coder so not sure why happen but this bug is not in 2.78.2. So this is last release free of both issues.

https://ibb.co/938PzTD
https://ibb.co/rwMZfYv
https://ibb.co/zNwqZHs

This below link show my game with govoodoo2 running no reshade or anything.

https://ibb.co/KVKkxyF

Above are photos of dgvoodoo2 setting that so far on quick 1 hour test seem to work fine. I will contuine to test but if other people want to let me know if this helped them please do.
A tech and UI nerd and i am ready to Waaarrrg!!

Ads
bw10

Re: DGvoodoo2 Testing Performance

Post#2 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:31 pm

please post step by step how to set up and use this ty

besaidaurocks

Post#3 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:56 pm

I will do my best to make a step by step guide

1) You need to first navigate too the dowloads section of dgvoodoo2 website:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/

under the download section you will a older version section, go down to version 2.78.2 and download

2) Unzip to your prefered location and then navigate to folder called: dgVoodoo2_78_2
Inside are multiple files and folder but there are only a few we need. First you need to copy the dgvoodoo.conf and dgvooodoocpl.exe to your warhammer install (main folder with war.exe)

3) Back in the dgvoodoo2_78_2 folder you need go into the MS folder and select the x86 folder (even if you run the game in expertminal mode 64bit, it detects it as if it was a 32 bit program)
Once in this folder copy all the following .dlls to your warhammer main folder like in the previous step.

D3D9.dll

4) all files are now in place for dgvoodoo2 to work we just need config it (please not I ran the game in expertimental mode in launcher for uncapped FPS and 64bit)

now we navigate to the Warhammer main folder (with exe in it) and click on dgVoodooCpl.exe we put in there early. Below I will include some screenshot of what setting to select to proper set it up. I know from a previous game guide I made, some people struggled to find dirextEXT tab. This is hidden by default, so please move your mouse over the empty tab space and right click, You should be presented with 2 options one defaults all settings and the other show hidden tabs called " Show all Sections of the configuration" YOU MUST SHOW ALL TABS as the directxExt setting are very important to process.

see screenshot below:

https://ibb.co/tqC3Bcg

Once you can see all the tabs please set up dgvoodoo2 like following screen shots.
Most of these setting are critical (particularf all dirextEXT tab settings), However the Filtering "Force anisotropic 16x" is optional those I prefer it.

https://ibb.co/938PzTD
https://ibb.co/rwMZfYv
https://ibb.co/zNwqZHs

If you have saved all of those settings as stated above, you are now ready to play warhammer. If you want to check this worked, in directx tab there is a setting to show the watermark. You can turn this on just to confirm it is running.

the end result will looking like this
https://ibb.co/KVKkxyF

Some caveats to mention. I am running an AMD gpu 6800xt and run the image sharpening filter at 40% this sharpens the game up abit and I do not require reshade.

One final thing to mention as I know the directxEXT tab is missing will be Frequent qeustion, you must right click on some blank space in the panel and enable all tabs. One note is I have aspergers syndrome (autism) so I sometime struggle to articulate my points, So apologize if the guide is not always clear but I do hope it has proven useful

If you have trouble with launcher not opening after installing this it appears dgvoodoo2 is trying open when launcher opens too, you can bypass by opening dgvoodoo2 control panel and clicking bypass then open launcher, then reenable dgvoodoo2 and save in controll panel. this ofcourse not ideall I am looking for fix, didn't notice last night as I had launch open while testing
Last edited by besaidaurocks on Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scottx125

Post#4 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:46 am

I'd love to see some comparisons between the base game, other shaders and this version.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Tesq

Post#5 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:59 am

You can do the same via directx dedicated dev app "dxpl.exe" pannel by force to use higher version or disable upgrade and force use lower dx versions.

besaidaurocks

Post#6 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:45 am

Yeah, I can't speak to other tools, I just have alot of experience with DGvoodoo2 which is wrapper designed to take old dx9 games and update them dx12. I posted the guide here cause I hade alot of experience with testing the specilized shaders that really don't play well with MMOs like anarchy online and warhammer.

Just from my testing my FPS peaks are the same in the evenitable city, uncapped can see between 250-300, my high or average fps is not changed but I do have an improved 1% loads and get less stutter when zone is loading or caching. All can recommend to test if don't like it very easy to remove either go in control panel and click the bypass to turn it off in direct x tab or deleted the files.

Scottx125

Post#7 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:27 am

I do pretty much the same as Tesq. I'm not gonna go through the effort of ripping out my shader setup for an unproven experiment without some data backing it up. It's all good suggesting this change but if you don't prove it works.. you could be imagining it being smoother, that's not a dig at you it's a real phenomenon where ppl see improvement where there is none. Interesting proposal though.
Spoiler:
Now a member of Oath.

besaidaurocks

Post#8 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:01 pm

this was in response few posts I saw with people having issues running dgvoodoo2, so I thought I make this post speficially to help wit that., people are ofcourse free to build the data themselves. I myself run overlay 1% low average and fps averages so can see a increase of about 20% in 1% low and slight degread of less then 1% in average fps in limited testing I did.

Though when you say shader do you mean other tools like dgvoodooo2 ? or reshade? as it is wrapper changing the directx not a shader pack or tool with shaders like reshade.

a trick I found btw if you rerun rehade you can just rerun the reshade exe and click directx12 it will update the file but keep all shader and preferences the same. if then remove dgvoodoo2 and go back directx9 you can do the same thing. so never have manuall reinstall reshade.

Also worth noting that dgvoodoo2 is more just wrapper also introduces some functionally like forcing AAx16 and such rather then just simple force dx12 (dxvk has some customiabliity but otherwise just forces vulkan), thought I am using the other tool at all can't speak for others.

thought I understand you concern, I was asked for step by step which I provided for those that want it. it your choice to run it or not, I won't be providing data.

Ads
Scottx125

Post#9 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:08 pm

I use a Reshader in combination with what Tesq suggests and also run a custom .dll that allows for async shader computing and allows me to modify how much ram is used etc. It performs better by essentially caching location shaders. So it stutters a lot to begin with when first caching an area. But after that it's fairly smooth.
Spoiler:
Now a member of Oath.

besaidaurocks

Post#10 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:39 pm

similliar to dgvoodoo2 ,expect dg does not have async but does all vram adjustment. I think I know the plugin it is offshoot of dxvk called dxvkasync of something. It is on my list of things to test and try.

Aswel asl try fix issue with the launcher not opening until I temparoaly disable dgvoodoo2 then reenable it after you opened launcher, I am sure I will find a workaround for that.