Recent Topics

Ads

Concerns regarding recent directions RoR is taking

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Phantasm

Concerns regarding recent directions RoR is taking

Post#1 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:03 pm

*Before I delve into the heart of the matter, I would like to preface my forum post by acknowledging that English is not my first language. I apologize in advance for any language limitations or awkward phrasing. I am utilizing AI assistance to ensure a more comprehensible and effectively conveyed message. Thank you for your understanding. :lol:

Now, let's address a concern that has been affecting the gameplay experience of many participants in our beloved game. The issues at hand revolve around the addon SOR and the Killboard, which inadvertently discourage players from engaging in the RvR content due to the fear of deaths and the knowledge about the chances of winning a fight based on the amount of players involved.

I want to acknowledge the remarkable work done by Sullemunk in creating various addons that enhance our gaming experience. However, I believe that the current functionality of the SOR is having unintended consequences, particularly in the realm versus realm (RvR) content.

SOR, while providing valuable information about the amount of people engaging in RvR, has unintentionally become a deterrent for players who fear facing overwhelming odds. This fear prevents them from participating in battles, leading to imbalanced encounters and a decrease in overall excitement and engagement. Furthermore, the addon also promotes a "bandwagon" mentality, where players are inclined to join the side that dominates in numbers, further exacerbating the problem of imbalance.

To address these issues and restore a balanced and engaging RvR experience, I propose the following:

• Remove the functionality of the SOR: While it provides valuable information, the addon has proven to discourage players from engaging in RvR due to the fear of facing an overwhelming force. By removing this addon altogether, we create a level playing field where players cannot assess the number of participants in a battle. This approach allows battles to unfold naturally, with participants relying on their own assessment and strategic decision-making rather than being swayed by numerical imbalances. That creates Fog of War that introduces an element of uncertainty, as participants are unaware of the exact locations, strengths, and strategies of their opponents. This uncertainty forces players to rely on partial information, intuition, and risk assessment when making decisions, adding an element of suspense and unpredictability to the game.
  • Rethink the Killboard: Instead of focusing solely on deaths, the Killboard could be expanded to showcase other significant achievements and contributions in RvR. This shift in focus would encourage players to engage in meaningful interactions and reward them for their efforts, regardless of the outcome. Examples could include tracking the number of objectives captured, damage dealt, healing done, or strategic decisions that influenced the tide of battle. By broadening the scope of the Killboard, we can incentivize participation and highlight the importance of teamwork and individual skill beyond mere survival. As website oRvR stats and tab Warriors of Reckoning shows there can be more information provided and give more Roleplay theme then dry stats of who killed who and how many times.
By implementing these changes, we can create an environment where players are encouraged to embrace the challenges and excitement of RvR without being influenced by the fear of death or an imbalanced fight. Removing the functionality of the SOR ensures a level playing field and promotes strategic decision-making, while rethinking the Killboard rewards players for their contributions beyond survival alone.

I appreciate your consideration of these suggestions and welcome any thoughts or alternative solutions you may have. Together, let us strive to make Return of Reckoning a captivating and engaging experience for all players.
May the battles be fierce, the victories hard-fought, and the memories legendary!

Ads
warlover

Re: Concerns regarding recent directions RoR is taking

Post#2 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:34 pm

The only thing SOR needs is to be in real time

inoeth
Suspended

Post#3 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:34 pm

it's neither SoR nor the killboard. it just does not make sense to engange anywhere where you have to fight slayers. so as soon as you get run over by them the first time, people will leave the area again... okay thats more RP for order because of this "first engagement" but it doesn't change anything in the long run.

normanis

Post#4 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:39 pm

previous sor showed population, now show only % and aao. seems opened thread has some point.
"Iron Within, Iron Without!"

gyps

Post#5 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:25 pm

Agree with both suggestions, but info about population must be eliminated from the server otherwise people will just use another addon to retrieve this info (no idea how it works actually)

Anyway even eliminating this you will have the AAO buff that may give you some hint about current situation in the area...AAO buff should work hiddenly as well I guess?

ravezaar

Post#6 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:44 pm

agrre with OP
Ravezaar Slayer rr86
Ravezz Ironbreker rr82
Goingsolo Shadow Warrior rr81
Zutha Runepriest rr83
Raave Magus rr84 (finally gave in to Tzeentch whispers)
https://imgur.com/a/mlxv1nJ

Garamore

Post#7 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:45 pm

Eliminate deaths from killboard

Add in a monthly challenge and reward top 10 guilds on both sides who get most number of RvR kills with crests you can use on any char. Has to be kills only as current RvR reward just drives the pvdoor game.
Garamore - Chosen Garamar - Marauder Garachop - Choppa Garamor - Slayer

Warband leader for Hand of Blood

https://www.twitch.tv/therealgaramore

oaliaen

Post#8 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:01 pm

Remove KD statistic and nerf rampage

Ads
Nameless

Post#9 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:05 pm

Agree with both.
Remving sor will promote real ingame reports that so many whs done at live version, there were some whs that were famous for their report quality and consistency.
I personally like killboards but some ppl are so obsessed with kills ratio that cut the game half for them. The problem is that such behaviour is seen on warband lvl which is sad.
So remove info for being killed, add assist stat nomatter how useless and meaningless is ppl will like it
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Scottx125

Post#10 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:05 pm

Garamore wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:45 pm Eliminate deaths from killboard

Add in a monthly challenge and reward top 10 guilds on both sides who get most number of RvR kills with crests you can use on any char. Has to be kills only as current RvR reward just drives the pvdoor game.
Agreed. Killboard should show K/D ratio. Without showing kills or deaths. Reward the top performing guilds for PVP in active zones.

I also agree SOR should be removed. Whilst I don't believe it'll affect people avoiding zergs or massive population imbalance. It does obscure where population is. Making accurate communication more important between players. And also can allow an underpopulated side to switch zones without the opposing faction knowing unless it's communicated by players.

This doesn't however solve population imbalance and zerging. Only viable way, IMO. Is implementing a LOTD type system so that the underdog side gets reduced inc damage and inc outgoing damage.
Last edited by Scottx125 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.