Recent Topics

Ads

What is the role of SM?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Vysci

What is the role of SM?

Post#1 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:03 am

Recently started playing and rolled a SM but as I been spamming scenarios, I realized that I don’t really know what the role of a “tank” actually means in PvP (specifically scenarios). I been using a 2H build, I mostly been throwing guard on another melee dps and then assisting trying to target enemy healers but obviously my dmg isn’t great so not sure how much I’m actually helping.

For a bit I tried to guard a healer and try to peel for them but that also didn’t feel that impactful with how cc works in this game.

So yea what the hell am I supposed to be doing as a 2H or SnB SM tank in scenarios (currently lvl 32+)? I’m used to tanks being useless in most PvP games

Ads
Avernus

Re: What is the role of SM?

Post#2 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:07 am

Vysci wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:03 am I mostly been throwing guard on another melee dps and then assisting trying to target enemy healers but obviously my dmg isn’t great so not sure how much I’m actually helping.
You did exactly what you are supposed to.

Detangler

Post#3 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:40 am

Spam Whispering Winds, guard and assist a squishy DPS, swap guard to focused friendlies on your team to give your healers time to keep them from dying. It has a much bigger impact than you realize.
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

Poknok

Post#4 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:47 am

Agree with the above, sounds like you're on track. Guard, Challenge, and Whispering Winds are all great.

With Phantom's Blade and Protection of Hoeth you can do serious healing and shielding. Use Crashing Wave on kill targets.

BluIzLucky

Post#5 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:22 am

Vysci wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:03 am So yea what the hell am I supposed to be doing as a 2H or SnB SM tank in scenarios (currently lvl 32+)? I’m used to tanks being useless in most PvP games
Can be a bit hard to realise as a new player starting as tank, but tanks are critical in this game, and if you make a DPS or healer, you know why.
Things can die extremely quick, like 100 to 0 in 3 secs, a tank makes that at least +6 secs, which gives both DPS and healers time to react with defensives.

Late game sweaty organised fights has two main call outs, who main assist (MA) is going to attack and tank rotation for challenge/bellow (M3)/Immaculate defenese (M4).
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

zgolec

Post#6 » Tue May 16, 2023 6:55 am

Guard dps, help building pressure on dps/healers [dazzling strike is awesome to annoy healers]. Taunt when you see some channel attacks, challenge on fights to help your grp.
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

anarchypark

Post#7 » Tue May 16, 2023 8:06 am

First, try to imagine what tanks do in PvE. Then, you can bring that over to PvP.

1. Drawing aggro: It means standing at the front and trying to get the enemy to attack you.

2. Damage absorption: It's about tanking the damage.
Here it gets a bit complicated because enemies naturally try to avoid attacking the tank,
so you need a guard.
Enemies can't ignore you because you're taking half of the damage for others.
From here on, it gets a little more complicated. it turns into a tank-to-tank punting competition.
This is either the pinnacle of awareness and defense or simply something boring.
you have advantage of WoDS but the trade-off is the lack of ST punt.
or go for snb and be shieldmaster. it has ST punt.

3. Party buffs: Various buffs that make the party stronger.
Among them, the best one is the Challenge.
Everyone talks about how amazing M3 bellow or M4 75% reduce is, but they rarely use Challenge.

busy attempting dps?
do all above first, then assist.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Ashoris

Post#8 » Tue May 16, 2023 8:38 am

Vysci wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:03 am Recently started playing and rolled a SM but as I been spamming scenarios, I realized that I don’t really know what the role of a “tank” actually means in PvP (specifically scenarios). I been using a 2H build, I mostly been throwing guard on another melee dps and then assisting trying to target enemy healers but obviously my dmg isn’t great so not sure how much I’m actually helping.

For a bit I tried to guard a healer and try to peel for them but that also didn’t feel that impactful with how cc works in this game.

So yea what the hell am I supposed to be doing as a 2H or SnB SM tank in scenarios (currently lvl 32+)? I’m used to tanks being useless in most PvP games
first of all , thats a good job you are doin :)
Blurring shock an shatter Enchantement are sometimes not mentioned but REALLY good.

you depend on a good "dps partner" ... if you have a stupid dps you will feel useless :) .
One of the key skills is to identify a "good" dps worth guarding and assisting.

a dps that is always chasing healers and is out of range for heal and assist is a bad dps!
your dps should be in range of his group - should hit mainly targets without guard and without immunity timers (so he can set a knockdown in the right moment).
a good dps is also runnin OUT of combat if focus on him is too heavy.

(as a sidenote: healers are often the targets most difficult to kill - normally you should prefer targets out of position - regardless of their class)
Warhammer Return of Reckoning
Verey / Ashoris / Devoras

WaR -dead-
Erengrad - Order - Frostbringer - Devoras

Ads
tazdingo

Post#9 » Tue May 16, 2023 9:04 am

raking talons stacks with challenge and m3. sm can switch melee trains off. noone does this though, they just play the class as a poor mans wl

normanis

Post#10 » Tue May 16, 2023 10:47 am

sm do anyather job what ather tank should do guard/taunt/challenge soak up damage punt/knock/snare + u have nature blade. ather blades use if u dont have am/kobs/wp ingrp or dont use potions.
wp wounds buff dont stuck with sm phantom blade , its weaker and are meant to be for black orcs. also heavens blade take random stat from attacker so its works random and its dont stuck with armor pot/crushing advance/or kotbs auras
natures blade steal targets iniative (random chance byt still chance)
wads is best if u go 2h to soak damage.
wispering winds is best on order side for some clases its make their rotation even more better.
get addon like buffhead/guardpack addon/enemy addon.
p.s welcome to order
"Iron Within, Iron Without!"