Recent Topics

Ads

Has Stealth Ever Been Done Well?

Talk about things which are not related to RoR or War.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Svartypops

Has Stealth Ever Been Done Well?

Post#1 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:17 am

Stealth!

When it's suggested that stealth be removed, you always get people justifying it's existance with "it satisfies a demand" or suchlike. I've been playing massive online PvP since DAoC (2001).

I played;
DAoC, WAR, GW2, among others (CoH etc).

I've never seen stealth done well. Have you?

My opinion is that stealth can't be done well, and that it's naturally overpowered. After all, when Tolkein was thinking of a superpower for the most powerful object in the world, he chose Stealth.

Ads
Detangler

Re: Has Stealth Ever Been Done Well?

Post#2 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:20 am

Stealth on RoR was great back when it was 30 seconds max. It was used for positioning and short scouting only.
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

Martok

Post#3 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:34 am

I was leveling my Witch Elf during that period when the stealth timer change was implemented and I have to say I enjoy this manifestation much more.

In other words, it is perfect.

All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Sofong

Post#4 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:26 am

stealth classes were perpectly fine before the ridiculous buffs.

TrainInVain

Post#5 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:30 am

Shadowbane had a few anti stealth classes with a tracking ability. You could bring up a list of all enemies in a zone and select a name from the list you wanted to track. After a short animation, you would get an arrow pointing in the direction of the person you're tracking, regardless of if they were stealthed or not.
Typically once that arrow suddenly pointed in a different direction you knew pretty much where they were. "AOE on me," was then called and you could pop them out.

Sulorie

Post#6 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:49 am

The old 30s stealth was only good for ganks, when you can wait behind some obstacle. It was way too short to roam inside enemy keeps, forts or in general behind enemy lines.
Dying is no option.

Caduceus

Post#7 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:24 am

Detangler wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:20 am Stealth on RoR was great back when it was 30 seconds max. It was used for positioning and short scouting only.
I agree.

It meant one had to work to get that stealth opening, and also that there was a clear counterplay.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

inoeth
Suspended

Post#8 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:03 am

perma stealth in daoc was fine

Ads
Dajciekrwi

Post#9 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:42 am

Best stealth mechnic exists in Elder Scrolls Online.
Nightblade ( ESO WE) have a nice stealth skill, You can choose antistaelth skill too.
Who use skill better - wins.
Will not lost my time to write about undetectable 5 wh partys

geezereur

Post#10 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:48 am

Its not stealth in it self its all the buffs they got on top of that, 50% armor pen tactic more healing from bullets w Sanct bullets,
new burn armor and witch elf jump and also the worst thing Sanctified oil so they can escape really easily.