Recent Topics

Ads

Getting stomped in Sc's

Let's talk about... everything else
Tabelrel

Getting stomped in Sc's

Post#1 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:42 pm

This ain't a woe is me post about meeting a pre-made in an sc and getting stomped. I think that's kind of useful in a way , not the 500 - 0 kind but you take something out of it kind of sc and walk away with a bit of dignity and something to learn. What do you guys think ?

Personally, always played a DPS. Go up and hit sh*t kind of player, but trying a healer and seeing a different stand back perspective on the game which I'm enjoing. Maybe Tanks see it in the same sought of way.

For me total newb healer meeting a pre-made its just can i keep a group up next time longer than i did the last time. Do we walk away with a couple of hundred points on the board when last time it was just double figures. They are in discord we aint. If i was on my WE do i get a couple of kills, practice my evasion tools and walk away with no deaths...

Don't know some times its crap but meeting a pre-made and taking a little bit of personal gain out of it is ok. Nicer to have a good balanced battle but if you can walk away with a something new learned is a good second prize :)
Tabelrel Witch Elf rr84
Alixr Sorc rr86
Artful Dodger Zealot rr30xx
Kerang Blorc rr30xx

"She turned me into a Newt...but i got better”

Da Fat Squigs 2012 - 2021
Ard Az Nailz\Greenpeace Alliance (Eltharion) 2008 - 2010

Ads
Nameless

Re: Getting stomped in Sc's

Post#2 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:02 pm

2 thing should be done to lesser the negative effects of pug vs premade

1. Remova barriers, put guards and allow the side under pressure to fall back on save spot (at least healers to be unchallanged)

2. Bring back renown gain from guards kills like it was on live, so the weaker side try and fight with the mindset to punt enemy on guards and took some reward out of it

Do that and surrender vote will be much less used and ppl (well pugs mainly) will be happier. And eventually prems will start doing sc objectives.
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Sulorie

Post#3 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:41 pm

Nameless wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:02 pm 2 thing should be done to lesser the negative effects of pug vs premade

1. Remova barriers, put guards and allow the side under pressure to fall back on save spot (at least healers to be unchallanged)

2. Bring back renown gain from guards kills like it was on live, so the weaker side try and fight with the mindset to punt enemy on guards and took some reward out of it

Do that and surrender vote will be much less used and ppl (well pugs mainly) will be happier. And eventually prems will start doing sc objectives.
Wondering why it's not already done, barriers only punish the inferior side.
Dying is no option.

Kpi

Post#4 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:08 pm

The barriers are used by ego-farmers RDPS to stay safe and kill pug players, so it is better if all SCs have Barriers. Remember the ego farmers don't leave the respawn to kill players and hide behind of NPCs without any kind of merit
Spoiler:
Kpihuss -- WP 88
Kpithrogrim -- IB 83
Kpigaragrim -- Slayer 81
Kpikossar -- SW 77
Kpirmedes -- RP 68+
Kpiboris -- KOTBS 65+

lumpi33

Post#5 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:00 pm

For me the main issue is guard. You can see in ranked matches how hard it is to take down a guarded and supported target.

When guard cuts down the damage in half it doesn't take twice the amount of time to kill a target. It gets multiple times harder instead. The target takes less damage, has more time to react, the healers have more time to react, tanks have more time to punt you away or knock you down.

Unless you have perfect coordination with punts and assist you wont be able to kill people in sov playing in setup with guard and healers. See ranked.

Therefore it is incredible hard for a less coordinated or equipped group to kill ANY of them.

It's probably the reason we see so much stomping and people having kill : death ratios of 100:1 and more. See current weekly/monthly killboard: https://killboard.returnofreckoning.com

Winona 1720:9, Calpernia 1288:1, ... that's insane and kind of broken if you ask me.

Valfaros

Post#6 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:05 pm

Kpi wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:08 pm The barriers are used by ego-farmers RDPS to stay safe and kill pug players, so it is better if all SCs have Barriers. Remember the ego farmers don't leave the respawn to kill players and hide behind of NPCs without any kind of merit
Sorry what?

Barriers are the worst. I hate every sc that have them. It is a further advantage for meele trains and allows for the enemy to just stack at your spawn with no way to recover. Yes with guards a group can use it as an advantage which is exactly what it should be. You are already pushed into spawn or in other worse loosing the sc heavily. Why shouldn't you get a spot where you can retreat and maybe get a kill with your covered dps and some enjoyment. The barrier leads to just one thing, you got farmed by the premade once you stay in spawn and give up. Who in the right mind exits a barrier if they know they 100% will get farmed because there is no way to kite or reatreat. My guess is this was introduced for ranked where people abused the guards but it has no point in regular scs.

lumpi33 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:00 pm For me the main issue is guard. You can see in ranked matches how hard it is to take down a guarded and supported target.

When guard cuts down the damage in half it doesn't take twice the amount of time to kill a target. It gets multiple times harder instead. The target takes less damage, has more time to react, the healers have more time to react, tanks have more time to punt you away or knock you down.

Unless you have perfect coordination with punts and assist you wont be able to kill people in sov playing in setup with guard and healers. See ranked.

Therefore it is incredible hard for a less coordinated or equipped group to kill ANY of them.

It's probably the reason we see so much stomping and people having kill : death ratios of 100:1 and more. See current weekly/monthly killboard: https://killboard.returnofreckoning.com

Winona 1720:9, Calpernia 1288:1, ... that's insane and kind of broken if you ask me.
Yes guard was from the beginning a very odd design choice. It favors certain setups soo much over others that anything with less coordination will get stomped. In one way cool to require this kind of coordination in an other way terrbile as most games consit of moslty pugs hence without a extreamly large player pool this design will lead to a bad experience for most.

Sulorie

Post#7 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:08 pm

Kpi wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:08 pm The barriers are used by ego-farmers RDPS to stay safe and kill pug players, so it is better if all SCs have Barriers. Remember the ego farmers don't leave the respawn to kill players and hide behind of NPCs without any kind of merit
When they don't leave spawn, they can't win or kill anyone. It's not that hard to flank and cut off their way back to spawn if you want it.
Remember, your "ego farmers" are just rdps who can kite and don't play stupid. Don't be jealous or at least hide it better.
Dying is no option.

Fey

Post#8 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:12 am

I never understood the efforts to make scenario guards irrelevant, then add barriers to fix the issue of spawn camping. One of my least favorite changes here on RoR. Praag siege scenario in particular suffers.
Fley - Zealot Domoarigobbo - Shaman
Squid - Squig Squit - B.O.
Black Toof Clan

Ads
Cyrylius

Post#9 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:19 am

Answering to @op:
On each archetype (differentiating between ranged and melee dps) stomps are a bit different. For heals getting stomped might be sometimes more fun than stomping, if your enemies don't go out of their way to stop you from healing. You have lots of healing to do, you can do your task as a healer despite losing. In my experience healers are fine unless you fight a group that tries actively to kill you (and you aren't getting support, otherwise it's less fun. But still relatively enjoyable). Ranged classes, with magus/engi first and foremost, it might be a nice experience too. Just kite too spawn whenever you see anything getting close and do damage from distance while other members of your team get slaughtered. Typical for dps healers too, as they tend to be more robust than other dps classes. Sorcerer/bw is a bit tricky, requiring some healing regardless of kiting, while magus/engi is the only class capable of sustained ranged AoE damage. All are fine with stomps, though their lower damage makes getting kills a bit more tricky against well healed team (more specifically lack of healdebuffs on some of those classes). Timestamp based dps however works amazingly well in SCs, and most ranged classes use it to some extent.
Now, two other archetypes fare much worse. Tanks are still better. The main difference is you can't play a tank with no healer, unless some very atypical situation happens. On the other hand, being a tank means you're a secondary (or actually much lower) priority target, so you can often survive multiple deaths of other team members and keep playing, with all the tools you have perfect for mitigating enemy pressure. So, if you do have a functional healline you can play your class with no issues, and you have a lot of work to do. Tanks also enjoy grindy SCs, when you get farmed but you hold your ground (on an objective for example), as while they can get no kills they can function and fight even when massively outcoordinated/out skilled. In fact, tank and heal gameplay is IMO the most interesting precisely in those situations, with both archetypes having opportunity to use entire toolkit of any specific class and many opportunities to do so.
Lastly, melee dps gameplay in a listing scenario is absolutely terrible. Melee classes require the most support and are the ones easiest to get sniped by ranged dps. They usually need assist to score kills against a well supported opponent and are most gear dependant, needing both high damage output and bulk. Stealth classes are sometimes different, but usually have the same issues as others. Melee dps classes have no way of learning a proper group play in heavily losing scs, due to a. Being first targets for enemies and 2. Having lower target picking capabilities than ranged classes. Stomps in fact teach you to play very carefully which is not always a good way of playing mdps classes which need to generate sufficient pressure to function in the close combat without getting focused and killed. Your only way of playing this kind of scenarios is ganking people, which is hard for most classes depending on the scenario and, again, doesn't help you with group play later on. You do get something from grindy kind of stomps, especially if you have a guard, but it's usually very frustrating as you die a lot without killing almost anything.
So, to sum it up, you can get some value out of stomps on most classes, but it requires a very single player mindset of just focusing on your own gameplay and not on winning/scoring kills.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

rejndjer
Suspended

Post#10 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:21 am

lmao wtf are you talking about xD