Recent Topics

Ads

Your opinion on the Killboard

Let's talk about... everything else
rom85

Your opinion on the Killboard

Post#1 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:09 pm

I come to you to talk about the Killboard. In principle this is a good idea. Only I think it will degrade the players' player way.
For example in my guild many players no longer want to play healer or tank because the results of heal or protection are not taken into account.

And especially a healer is often focus and thus will die often.

Another point is that the player who dies too often is criticized by others.

For example around me many players hesitate to go out alone for fear of dying and lowering their kill result. So they prefer to play in warband to have a better chance of getting kills and not dying too often.
You will often see, since the appearance of this tool, players who no longer dare to compete for fear of dying in game. And this because they do not want to lower their kill stats!

I think ROR doesn't need this, this KIKIMetter should be remove from ROR.
There are already enough things in the game to measure its level.

There is already this behavior in my guild. I’m afraid that people will just forget to play!!!

This will lead players only to competition at the kill level.

That’s what I think.

Very cordially

Ads
GamesBond
Former Staff

Re: Your opinion on the Killboard

Post#2 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:14 pm

We don't really just annihilate a whole project that looks great, delivers great results and competes with triple A games' killboard, just because some people are afraid to virtually have their characters killed in an open world PvP game that doesn't punish you with gear/exp/gold loss. This is a personal issue that we cannot deal with, and it's mostly known in keep/fort door pushes.

Dalen has spent countless hours to get this project done and there are even bigger plans and future integrations that we would like to deliver to the community. Your feedback is well appreciated and your approach is completely logical, but I wanted to let you know straight forward that we cannot allow everything to affect each project.

rom85

Post#3 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:25 pm

I fully agree with your remarks.
Indeed, one should not stop a project because of some remarks.
But the remarks can allow to make a project evolve. By the way, the Killboard should not be limited to the kill.
But should integrate data for tanks and healers.

Another suggestion, the player should be able to choose to appear or not in the killboard. This will avoid remarks and will avoid destabilizing some players.

redsunbp

Post#4 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:56 pm

Imagine caring so much about dying in a game where you dont lose anything except some ego.... always amused me of RoR players. Try a game that when you die you lose hours of farming.

If your guild cares so much about the killboard to judge its healers based on it then you should change guild.

If your healers care so much about the current iteration of the killboard then you should change healers.

Either way it's not good

Aethilmar

Post#5 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:04 pm

Per the killboard (some of my characters)

https://killboard.returnofreckoning.com ... ter/400191
https://killboard.returnofreckoning.com ... ter/420061
https://killboard.returnofreckoning.com ... ter/428173

I suck and you know what, I don't care.

I have fun running around solo, usually in high AAO situations, getting into horrible predicaments and sometimes climbing back out of them alive. As a practical matter, I can go look up some fights after the fact and get a better idea of what happened.

That said, I can agree the emphasis on kills incomplete and I too would like to see this concept expanded to include healing, protection, supply running, BO caps, time spent in AAO, time spent outside of AAO, etc, etc, etc because the game truly is more than just who kills whom.

However, every project has to start somewhere. This is a good start. Keep expanding it please.

Skullgrin

Post#6 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:31 pm

I think the Kill Board is an excellent addition to the game.

However, one thing that could be added to it is the ability to filter the leaderboard section by class archetypes, or have a separate leaderboard for each one. Adding that would probably cut down on people nitpicking about others stats. The way it is currently set up you will only ever see DPS classes on the main page, which isn't really fair to the other classes.

I'd also like to see a solo kill version of the leaderboard, along with some sort of solo vs. group kill ratio so that you can see who's really deadly when running solo.

As to giving players the ability to not be listed, it wouldn't work. You need to have all the statistics for something like this, doesn't matter if someone gets their feelings hurt because they can't face reality.

Frankly, I like the fact that I can go back and look at my past fights, it allows me to see who was doing what amount of damage, reveals that most of the time I die to large groups while running solo, and the solo kill tick box lets me see who I should respect (those who were willing to fight me alone, whether they died or I did). Its great to be able to do that.

Oh, on a final note, if your guild is basing group decisions on the Kill Board I'd take that a a red flag and start searching for a new one.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

Hadann

Post#7 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:42 pm

If you take any leaderboard serious and think players are good based on that alone then they are clueless anyway to how these games work. If someone is so focused on being on the top of a leaderboard they mostly likely suck and this is their only/last option to pretend to be good.

rom85

Post#8 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:25 pm

I'm glad to see that my comment will probably help this tool evolve.
There are some very good ideas shared in all these remarks.

Ads
Martok

Post#9 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:51 pm

Aethilmar wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:04 pmI have fun running around solo, usually in high AAO situations, getting into horrible predicaments and sometimes climbing back out of them alive. As a practical matter, I can go look up some fights after the fact and get a better idea of what happened.

This. Well said.

As for the Killboard I don't dwell on it either, I think I have looked at it once since it was instituted. However there are people who routinely consult the thing for various reasons and therefore I don't see any legitimate reason it should go away.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Caerfinon

Post#10 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:58 pm

I'm a tank. I'm a buff battery for my team. If I get the odd kill that's OK, if my team/guild can get more kills because I keep them alive longer that's better. Everyone has a job to do, it's not all about the kills.

The board is fine. Reminds me of the EVE online kill board. But I don't take too much stock that the numbers mean anything special.