Recent Topics

Ads

[SM] Ultimate builds catalog for Sword Masters

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
3Form

Re: [SM] Ultimate builds catalog for Sword Masters

Post#21 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:38 pm

Hi Blu, first of all thanks for the thread, it has been really helpful to read and I have already made several adjustments to my build as a result. I just have a few general questions / need for guidance around how to develop my build.

Basically I managed to get full valewalker fairly easily and have really been enjoying playing as an avoidance tank. I've focused mainly hoeth (WW / CW / PoH) and thrown the rest in Vaul for PD and VB. Since reading here I've adjusted my tactics to run EA / IP / PD / VB and it has been amazing if I can guard a decent dps. If my warband is up against stiff competition I'll swap EA for Rugged to be a bit tankier.

Valewaker 6th and 7th set bonuses are kind of interesting, but I've since been thinking that they are bit unreliable: 6th bonus (+str) doesn't have 100% uptime and 7th (-armour debuff) has low chance to proc and usefulness really depends on which mdps I'm with. So I have thrown in some sentinel pieces instead: the boots for extra parry, and the belt to get the 3 piece bonus (+str, +wounds). Here's my gear.

So my first question is really how much of each stat should I be aiming for, especially wounds? With this setup I'm getting about 630 str, 500 ws, 430 toughness, 870 wounds. Should I swap some strength talis out for more wounds or is this in a good place already?

Also, I understand from this thread that toughness is not as useful due to the order of parry -> absorbs -> toughness, so am working on the BL set at which point I will probably go 5 pieces (for parry bonus) and mix in sent/VW for more parry... 7 piece bonus for reactionary looks nice, but this is already on Crimsonwind so I guess won't stack? Either way, BL cloak will allow me to finally drop the beastlord pieces (and what I assume is the less useful WS bonus?).

Which leads to another question, what is a good next weapon with this setup in mind? Fortress 2H looks very offensive, i.e. no parry or crit reduction bonuses.

Finally I was considering picking up Invader to try boardmaster for a bit, but on reflection I want to try full warlord (eventually, only RR63 atm) just to really lean into the hoeth theme and think I'd be short on tokens that way.

Thanks for any help!

Ads
BluIzLucky

Post#22 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:11 pm

Thanks for your post and glad you liked the guide :)
3Form wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:38 pm
So my first question is really how much of each stat should I be aiming for, especially wounds? With this setup I'm getting about 630 str, 500 ws, 430 toughness, 870 wounds. Should I swap some strength talis out for more wounds or is this in a good place already?
For SM, any amount of WS is like being softcapped (e.g. only getting half the value), so first priority is to trade WS for wounds, you'll want to go to around 990 so a WP wounds buff puts you at 1050.
Since you do have a decent amount of WS, you do get a nice parry boost against low Str attackers (like SnB tanks) but that's about it.

Also, I understand from this thread that toughness is not as useful due to the order of parry -> absorbs -> toughness, so am working on the BL set at which point I will probably go 5 pieces (for parry bonus) and mix in sent/VW for more parry... 7 piece bonus for reactionary looks nice, but this is already on Crimsonwind so I guess won't stack? Either way, BL cloak will allow me to finally drop the beastlord pieces (and what I assume is the less useful WS bonus?).

Which leads to another question, what is a good next weapon with this setup in mind? Fortress 2H looks very offensive, i.e. no parry or crit reduction bonuses.
The Reactionary proc won't stack with any ability (including other procs or the 7p proc), this is standard stacking rules.
This means Eagle Flight only adds 15% parry when proc is active, and WoDS "only" adds 35%.

Note the rule also makes 6 and 7p VW worse since they also won't stack with Nature's Blade or other abilities (and SM lacks behind on AoE compared to a tank like BG so won't proc as much).
So for this reason I ran Bloodlord+Sent until Sov, as all the stats and bonuses are great.

This does make the proc a little less valuable, and makes a move to a speed proc weapon like fortress a good option or the C&T version (Fang of the Black) a decent option, because WoDS which you'll want to use whenever you are in danger of dying will nullify the Reactionary proc completely.

Finally I was considering picking up Invader to try boardmaster for a bit, but on reflection I want to try full warlord (eventually, only RR63 atm) just to really lean into the hoeth theme and think I'd be short on tokens that way.

Thanks for any help!
The guide was written in a time where invader was a required set to progress and you'd eventually get enough Invader Crests for both weapon and ring (and at least for me Warlord gear was much easier to acquire), so at this moment I would not recommend getting Invader unless you hate PvE (clearly not) and would not recommend getting warlord or Invader until you at least havr finished both Sov main for SnB and Sov off for 2H.

I'd also personally stick to Crimsonwind or Bloodlord 2H for a long time, before picking up Fortress weapon.

Hope that helps!
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

3Form

Post#23 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:41 pm

Thanks that makes great sense, and lots to think about. I will get to work on the rest of the bloodlord set. Will be hard to trade much WS until then I think as it's all on the VW armour + bonus, although have ditched the beastlord jewel for 2 piece genesis again. And have invested in some better talis for Crimsonwind. I'll let you know how I get on :)

Kenshiken

Post#24 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:28 am

Hi all, what are the most recent and good builds for 2H and SnB SM now?

BluIzLucky

Post#25 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:54 pm

Kenshiken wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:28 am Hi all, what are the most recent and good builds for 2H and SnB SM now?
No material changes since last update.
Will update again once the changes from the Ability Rework kicks in.

Drgn

Post#26 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 pm

Now the rework is done, any chance to have that beautiful guide getting a revision ? Cheer

Aethilmar

Post#27 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:48 pm

Drgn wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 pm Now the rework is done, any chance to have that beautiful guide getting a revision ? Cheer
The optimist in me is hoping they are not done.

The cynic says the guide should be updated to "re-roll to Knight".

BluIzLucky

Post#28 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:44 pm

Drgn wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 pm Now the rework is done, any chance to have that beautiful guide getting a revision ? Cheer
Aw, thanks, but hopefully as Aethilmar is saying, just the rework is done and not the rebalance.

From the current changes I don't see any new builds so if I did update it would just be to delete now unviable builds lol..

Like the M4 Whirling Guyser Fort builds which seems pointless now that you can't mass punt off forts..

Or the full 2H dps, now that you can't rely on WODS or ED after nerfs (RIP, was some of the most fun living the swordmaster fantasy).

WW taking a big hit, Redirected Force being removed, along with removing stacking exceptions for Crushing Advance armor and Heaven's Blade resist is just a lot of nerfs.
Just bear these changes in mind and take the new punt in serious settings.

Only new build I could see is Vaul's Tempering either with WW or ED in Ranked, but at this point haven't played it in ages and won't be any time soon so can't really tell.

With the big buffs to weaponskill I could see a physical WS stacking Deep Incision build be a bit more viable as a meme..

Ads