Recent Topics

Ads

City Queue Dodging

Let's talk about... everything else
mynban

City Queue Dodging

Post#1 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:52 am

Before anyone says something silly like "this game is meant to be played as organized teams"; here is the reality we have: since game allows for organized groups vs pugs, majority of organized groups do their absolute BEST to avoid fighting other organized groups.
  • Want to win city? Learn how to game the queue system and join an instance where it is decided before fight even started.
  • Based on all the feedback it is clear same issue applies to solo ranked. Want to win solo ranked? Learn how to game the queue.
  • Also a different version is; people in oRvR avoiding fair fights and only flocking to the side that outnumbers heavily.
RoR turned into a game where the most rewarding thing to do is avoiding any resemblance of challenge, and gaming the system to participate in fights that are extremely one sided.

Devs really need to consider when they say this is a game for organized groups, whether they mean it is meant to be played in the form of "organized groups vs organized groups". If so please put in place necessary adjustments that will enable it.

Of course it is pointless to just say 'fix it', there needs to be a suggestion. My suggestion for starting a discussion about city queue dodging is as below;
  • Start giving hidden City MMR to each character
  • Dont pair any order/destro groups until after queue is completely closed at 30min mark. (or however long it needs to be)
  • 3 min timer for creating pairings start once queue timer is over
  • WBs from order/destro with highest total city MMR gets matched, then next pair, then next
  • if there are people missing joining, highest city MMR same role pug is sent in.
  • lowest mmr WB without an enemy WB to face still faces pugs
  • Once all WBs are sorted, pugs face other pugs
As long as you keep an open system that allows for dodging the queue and avoiding facing other organized, people will keep doing it. I am not saying system I suggest above is the best iteration, but I hope it is enough to start a discussion for coming up with a good enough formula.
Last edited by mynban on Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Strakar

Re: City Queue Dodging

Post#2 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:33 am

Tonight no one queued until the last 5 min. We already have 10 minutes to get to the gate, why don't we cut the city timer to 15 minutes so we're not just sitting there waiting for the inevitable.

Otherwise I like the proposal.

Melekith

Post#3 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:12 am

Reality is, people have multiple accounts, push the city and get their bags.
Last edited by Melekith on Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

skylinx

Post#4 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:12 am

I dont think it's a bad as you say

I don't see ppl queue dodging. I see a game that's population is a little low atm. There's 100 ppl online for one faction and you think they can make the best organised wb they can in the 10 min timer?

Various guilds I've seen put messages out on discord hoping that guildmates will log in. So yes, slightly more organised groups are waiting the extra time, not to dodge, but to get the best comp they can.

Do you expect groups to queue at gate opening with 11 ppl in a wb because in /5 you have rr57 WHs lfg city? Plus the 3 or 4 group leaders are spamming invites to more 'experienced and skilled' players so out of a pool of 100 players, it doesn't leave much room to play with.
Last edited by skylinx on Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mynban

Post#5 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:15 am

skylinx wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:12 am I dont think it's a bad as you say

I don't see ppl queue dodging. I see a game that's population is a little low atm. There's 100 ppl online fir one faction and you think they can make the best organised wb they can in the 10 min timer.

Various guilds I've seen put messages out on discord hoping that guildmates will log in. So yes slightly more organised groups are waiting the extra time, not to dodge, but to get the best comp they can.
Queue dodging is 100% a thing, and most WBs intentionally delay queueing till last few minutes. It is not even done in a hush hush quiet way.

Acidic

Post#6 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:25 am

I would agree with the idea of queue all and then start allocating all instances at the end to reduce the dodging.
Not convinced by mmr , would think it would be better to use the total gear wards as the basis for matching side vs side as well as when filling combining smaller groups.
This would at least try and match teams with equivelent gear and as the armour set unlocks can’t be tamed directly it should be interesting

skylinx

Post#7 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:30 am

Neither mmr or gear matching would work

Each faction has 100 ppl queuing anywhere from 40/40 to 40/85 of various classes.

Matchmaking would be impossible at such low population

skylinx

Post#8 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:42 am

Here's a suggestion

When one faction wins a city pop, the city pops the next day at 8pm altdorf time. You have a 10 window to queue

Then all the players, guilds and alliances will have 24 hrs to prepare their wbs and be ready to fight a primetime city

Ads
mynban

Post#9 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:58 am

Acidic wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:25 am I would agree with the idea of queue all and then start allocating all instances at the end to reduce the dodging.
Not convinced by mmr , would think it would be better to use the total gear wards as the basis for matching side vs side as well as when filling combining smaller groups.
This would at least try and match teams with equivelent gear and as the armour set unlocks can’t be tamed directly it should be interesting
I agree, a matchmaking based on gear ward makes a lot more sense!
Good idea.

Phantasm

Post#10 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:55 am

Everybody in any RvR guild on order side knows that leaders purposely late queue to dodge "said OP destro premades" even with full group. At the beginning when destro were overpopulated I saw a good reason, but when order started dominating numbers they keep dodging city premades. I`ve been in at least 3 "well known" order guilds, many times I queued with /5 groups 12+ and literally only ONE or TWO of them queued at timer start.
Leaders ask for or check themselfs population and adjust queue timer based on that: overpopulated - queue 20-10 min on timer, underpopulated - queue 10 - 5 mins. Of course there is a chance that warband wont get a pop, but in their minds if you dont get paired vs destro premade its a win.
There are 2 real solutions to this:
  • Hide T4 population on main website
or
  • totally make building time for 20 mins to get proper group with ppl loging in and swaping, and THEN after timer done, make 1 min to queue for city and stop queueing after that.