Recent Topics

Ads

Rune Priest - replacement of Grimnir's Fury

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Gurf

Rune Priest - replacement of Grimnir's Fury

Post#1 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Grimnir's Fury is probably the most useless skill in game, the crowning glory of the path of Grimnir has a 5 second cast... 5 seconds!! and also healers have the same skill as default M4 aoe res. I would be surprised if it has ever been used outside of PVE after a wipe, I doubt a single Rune Priest in the game would complain if it was replaced with literally anything else, most would cheer with delight.

While I understand you aren't in favour of mirroring abilities the lack of cooldown decreasers on Order side is a big balance discrepancy which needs looking at. Both AM and SW need cooldown decreasers to perform up to their destro mirrors but Whispering Wind is unreliable, while Destro have the Black Ork and Choppa reducer easily available. Destro have 2 cooldown decreasers on popular classes, Order 1 unreliable decreaser on the least popular tank.

I propose to replace Grimnir's Fury with a similar ability to Chop Fasta "Group members within 100 feet are inspired by the way you command your Runes, for the next 20 seconds any ability used by your groupmates will cool down 5 seconds faster."

Zealot already has many important skills like morale boost, Windblock, Winds of Insanity which Rune Priests don't have, so I don't see it creating any disparity there. Also because of how high it is up in the tree it would mean that most Rune Priests would have to give up their stagger to use it, which is one of their most useful skills.

While this skill would barely do anything to improve the Rune Priest healing, as they aren't really affected by cooldowns very much, it would help to improve their aoe dps spec which is currently very weak.

Ads
MMXX43

Re: Rune Priest - replacement of Grimnir's Fury

Post#2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:58 am

i dont see why not , zealot was given 3 RP abilities while our runies got nothing in return

footpatrol2

Post#3 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 am

Altered fate healer m4 and grimnir's fury are morale bomb recover abilities. It is some of the very few tools in the game for morale bomb recovery.

I think removing the cast time and making it instant would be a much better way to handle this as opposed to creating a complete new ability. And/Or making the area affect 50ft or 100ft instead of 30ft.

teiloh

Post#4 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:19 am

imo if you had it mirror Chop Fasta, it's still higher in the tree and thus a bit worse. Removing the BO version and buffing the SM version so it's as usable as the Choppa one might be better.

GF could still be improved in other ways

Gurf

Post#5 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:57 am

footpatrol2 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 am Altered fate healer m4 and grimnir's fury are morale bomb recover abilities. It is some of the very few tools in the game for morale bomb recovery.

I think removing the cast time and making it instant would be a much better way to handle this as opposed to creating a complete new ability. And/Or making the area affect 50ft or 100ft instead of 30ft.
Do you actually use Grimnir's Fury for morale bomb recovery? Because I don't see how you could get a 5 second spell off without being interrupted or killed when half your warband is down, you could use with Focus Mind but generally you would have to run into the thick of the action to use it and it is not a huge area affect. I could see it having use if they increased the area and massively reduced the cast time, while increasing the cooldown to 3 or 5 mins. Would prefer a complete new skill though.

I don't see them taking away any skill from BO or reworking Whispering Wind any time soon, I don't see them reworking RP/Zealot trees any time soon either, so I saw a simple solution to the issue to replace Grimnirs Fury with a cooldown decreaser without it causing a big disruption or imbalance anywhere.

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#6 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:09 am

If any order healer needs some love its AM, if keep giving more tools for the "loved ones" will make AMs less desirable (more than now) => well cd reducer + EOV in same class can be super strong in the right hands...but some tunning could be made.

(same for shaman, move one of the BO/Choppa to shaman)

Less desired classes (healers in this case) need tools to be on par with others from same archetype

Grognir

Post#7 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 am

I agree that as the spell is today, it is not very usefull all the more as considering its position on the tree.

One of the best usage I found with it is during attack or defense of a keep, you can rez people out of sight, but the 30ft range is too small to make it a must have.

Without changing this spell completely, some adjustment could make it much more attractive like:
  • Increasing the range to 100ft without changing anything else
  • Adjusting cast time or cooldown
  • Not possible to be interrupted while casting (without changing anything else)
Grognur - RP 87

NSKaneda

Post#8 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:48 am

Gurf wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:57 am
footpatrol2 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 am Altered fate healer m4 and grimnir's fury are morale bomb recover abilities. It is some of the very few tools in the game for morale bomb recovery.

Do you actually use Grimnir's Fury for morale bomb recovery? Because I don't see how you could get a 5 second spell off without being interrupted or killed when half your warband is down, you could use with Focus Mind but generally you would have to run into the thick of the action to use it and it is not a huge area affect. I could see it having use if they increased the area and massively reduced the cast time, while increasing the cooldown to 3 or 5 mins. Would prefer a complete new skill though.
Self rez -> hot -> Grimnir's Shield -> abs shield -> Protection of Ancients -> Grimnir's Fury -> hot -> group heals or Master rune ;)
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Ads
Gurf

Post#9 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:02 am

NSKaneda wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:48 am
Gurf wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:57 am

Self rez -> hot -> Grimnir's Shield -> abs shield -> Protection of Ancients -> Grimnir's Fury -> hot -> group heals or Master rune ;)

How often do you have 3-4 members of your party all die on top of each other in 30 ftfor this to be practical? If it worked out of party, or could be cast a distance it could be considered but currently its party only and only around your area. Also you are saying that you should have to use all of your best defensive abilities and oh **** buttons on long cooldowns to have a chance of getting off a skill which is 13 points up a mastery tree to get. I don't know any other ability in game where you have to sacrifice so much for a chance to get a skill to work, also no other ability with such a long cast time.

Gurf

Post#10 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:08 am

Grognir wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 am I agree that as the spell is today, it is not very usefull all the more as considering its position on the tree.

One of the best usage I found with it is during attack or defense of a keep, you can rez people out of sight, but the 30ft range is too small to make it a must have.

Without changing this spell completely, some adjustment could make it much more attractive like:
  • Increasing the range to 100ft without changing anything else
  • Adjusting cast time or cooldown
  • Not possible to be interrupted while casting (without changing anything else)
Grognur - RP 87
Some good suggestions.

I think if they just increased the range it would give it a chance of being used, 100ft would be ok, as you still have to position yourself correctly to get more than one person in res range. 30ft as it currently is it is almost impossible to res more than one person.