Recent Topics

Ads

How to fix the new players?

Let's talk about... everything else
emiliorv
Suspended

How to fix the new players?

Post#1 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:53 am

The server is getting a high flow of new players...increase the playerbase is a good thing to keep the server healthy, but its common that after the hype from the first days mostly of this new players will stop play.
The point is, how the ROR community can help to fix the news to make them wanna play longer??
-The next X2 event looks like a very good point, there is a really high progression during that events (level faster/ RR faster...).
-Yesterday i saw a guild (Unsainted- well done!) throwing ninja-invites to unguilded players in T1, and after get in offering help to make dungeons/talis/pots/etc....looks like a good point fixing the new ppl in a guild.

What more can be done??
- In T1 there is a really big action this days....but there is no one trying to ornanize anything...maybe can help if some guilds bring a grp of lowbies and try to make this rvr a bit more organized??
-Maybe a campaing esparing low level talis/pots/armor/weapons/whatever in the lowbie zones?
-What more?

Ads
Goermsi

Re: How to fix the new players?

Post#2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:31 am

I would say any experienced player can do this already - without the "developers" doing it.
If you don't want to make time available, you can use ingame currency to grant a mount to one Lowie or another.
Who has time can offer tours through Altdorf / IC. Can take the new players to the breast and explain classes, the logic behind PVP, scenarios or PVE.
What I want to say, of course we can now refer to the developers and say "you must, you should, do something about it" but actually it is we, the players, who should take this opportunity now. Help each other, bring fresh meat into your guild, offer PVE raids or take the beginners into your warbands and show them how to burn down or defend a fort :-)

It's an epic opportunity for our community and if we are less toxic and more helpful than in the past - then we will all benefit in the long run!
Like it Hard (Drakenwald)
...PVP, nothing else...

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#3 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am

Goermsi wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:31 am I would say any experienced player can do this already - without the "developers" doing it.
If you don't want to make time available, you can use ingame currency to grant a mount to one Lowie or another.
Who has time can offer tours through Altdorf / IC. Can take the new players to the breast and explain classes, the logic behind PVP, scenarios or PVE.
What I want to say, of course we can now refer to the developers and say "you must, you should, do something about it" but actually it is we, the players, who should take this opportunity now. Help each other, bring fresh meat into your guild, offer PVE raids or take the beginners into your warbands and show them how to burn down or defend a fort :-)

It's an epic opportunity for our community and if we are less toxic and more helpful than in the past - then we will all benefit in the long run!
Im not requesting for developers do anything more (the X2 event is quite a good point that they have made, the pop cap increase and the server upgrade...they have made a lot of work), its a community job to make this effort trying to fix new playerbase.

Of course, every player can do some "some things" but as isolated actions probably have low impact....

Tyrex2017

Post#4 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:44 am

I do my duty by giving 10 gold to each dwarf on horse i see in T4 RvR. It's little, but a source of frustating in less for a newcomer.

spiritbull

Post#5 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:54 am

In summer there was an event when Devs motivating people to send pots to lowbees. Might be a nice ideas.
Organized guilds also can afford to dedicate a guild bank window for low level stuff for the new members. Actually I think this is a preferred option. Doesn't require much efforts, motivate new comers to join guilds.

spiritbull

Post#6 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 am

In summer there was an event when Devs motivating people to send pots to lowbees. Might be a nice ideas.
Organized guilds also can afford to dedicate a guild bank window for low level stuff for the new members. Actually I think this is a preferred option. Doesn't require much efforts, motivate new comers to join guilds.

PLEASE DELETE THE DUPLICATE post, cannot do myself, as there is a post below, sorry((
Last edited by spiritbull on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grock

Post#7 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 am

Player retention is a big topic in game design and there's no simple answer because different players react to different things.

Personally i think one of the best things that helps with retention is community interaction- new friends, active guilds, events and so on. Even better if these interactions go outside of the game and continue elsewhere, the simplest example being Discord servers.

What can push a lot of players away is a huge power disadvantage at low levels in T2+, many people could be discouraged by that.

Maybe limiting T2-T3 to 16-39 levels would be a good idea for now
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

xpander
Community Management

Post#8 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:50 pm

i went to the starting area yesterday and gave away some gold to the ones who weren't AFK and accepted the trade. also trying my best to help any new players on discord with the technical stuff like installation problems, addon questions etc.

But making t2-3 its own bracket would be nice idea i think. also the War report could use fixes. currently at lvl16 it doesnt advertise you T4 zones, so you can only go to T2 zones with it
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Ads
empmoz

Post#9 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:05 pm

Use the /advice channel in game, people are happy to explain stuff/give information + direction

Torintinhammer

Post#10 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:44 pm

Ideas from the olden days.

T1 is hard to organize but in T2 we would have teams train new players on how to defend keeps. This is a win-win for the player and for the faction. And it is a nice intro to PvP.

Our guild would run new players through the dungeons in the capitals so they could get their first purp gear.

There are so many world bosses outside of quests. Having guides in zones to run players through these for the first time expands the map and challenges them to explore more.

Having people available to explain the crafting system is nice. Could use a refresher myself.

Anything that helps players in-game instead of logging off to find answers is usually a good thing.