Recent Topics

Ads

[Linux] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
xpander
Community Management

Re: [Linux] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Post#321 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:53 am

PeanutHamper wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:04 am I can't run the game on Linux. I followed the install guide. I had to disable DXVK to get the launcher to start. The launcher starts, but when I press connect the launcher reappears after a couple seconds and the game doesn't run.

Here is the logs from lutris.

Code: Select all

Started initial process 162093 from /home/<name>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine /home/<name>/Games/warhammer-online-return-of-reckoning/drive_c/Return_of_Reckoning/RoRLauncher.exe
Start monitoring process.
fsync: warning: a previous shm file /wine-fc1098-fsync was not properly removed
fsync: up and running.
wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
Caption = C:
DeviceId = C:
DriveType = 3
FileSystem = NTFS
FreeSpace = 355816390656
Name = C:
Size = 82252800000
VolumeName = 
VolumeSerialNumber = F910B99D
RAM #1:
BankLabel = BANK 0
Capacity = 61839179776
Caption = Physical Memory
ConfiguredClockSpeed = 1600
DeviceLocator = DIMM 0
FormFactor = 8
MemoryType = 9
PartNumber = 
SerialNumber = 
---------------------------------
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 00000000 at address 0079D779 (thread 015c), starting debugger...
Not much in this log. Is that really on NTFS drive? dont ever do that on linux. Do not run windows games on NTFS parition/drive cause wine/proton cant have correct permission flags on the non-native filesystem.

If thats not the case tell me whats your GPU and drivers installed?
make sure 32bit drivers are installed as this old game is 32bit

edit: Seems the log shows NTFS even if its not an NTFS drive..i guess its the game detection to be compatible.

Things to try:
-Switch to different wine version you can install the different versions in lutris by clicking on the box icon next to wine runner on the left sidebar.
changing wine version will update the prefix and throw a rundll32 error, just press ok on that and ignore it.. thats just .NET being stupid.

-enable output debugging info under runner options and run it again, should show more info then use pastebin.com for example to paste all the in and report here
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Ads
PeanutHamper

Post#322 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:07 am

Installing 32 bit drivers did it. Thank you!

xpander
Community Management

Post#323 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:37 pm

PeanutHamper wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:07 am Installing 32 bit drivers did it. Thank you!
Great to hear. I should probably update the troubleshooting part with the 32bit driver requirement, but i honestly thought that installing lutris/wine will pull the required drivers anyway, but i guess it depends on the distro or something.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

rady

Post#324 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:18 am

Anyone got new RoRLauncher for test server to work?
I got error - Failed to create directory dotnet_bundle_extract - which i fixed by creating link to $HOME directory.

Now I have:
wine: Call from 7BC2F970 to unimplemented function KERNEL32.dll.RaiseFailFastException, aborting
Ris IB
Risx 8Xrr SH (retired)
BO 85rr (retired)

xpander
Community Management

Post#325 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:08 am

rady wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:18 am Anyone got new RoRLauncher for test server to work?
I got error - Failed to create directory dotnet_bundle_extract - which i fixed by creating link to $HOME directory.

Now I have:
wine: Call from 7BC2F970 to unimplemented function KERNEL32.dll.RaiseFailFastException, aborting
new launcher and test server works without any issues here. maybe you checked at the wrong time when server had issues?
lutris-GE-Proton8-15 is selected for me, haven't checked on older versions

Try switching wine versions maybe?

just to be sure, is your launcher the latest version? https://launcher.returnofreckoning.com/ ... uncher.exe
the initial version didn't work on linux, but Max did fix the issues with it.

the new launcher doesn't even require .net framework installation so you could even try creating new prefix and running from it.
You can do that from the lutris configuration and just pointing the wine prefix field to new empty folder where it will create its prefix when launching.
(keep old one just in case if you want to keep using the old launcher for now though)
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

rady

Post#326 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:57 am

@xpander thanks for quick reply. Gonna check it after work.
Ris IB
Risx 8Xrr SH (retired)
BO 85rr (retired)

Scottx125

Post#327 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:43 pm

Wondering would this work well if it was run in a VM? I know windows not has a Linux kernel so it should be pretty smooth. Has anyone tried this?
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

xpander
Community Management

Post#328 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:25 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:43 pm Wondering would this work well if it was run in a VM? I know windows not has a Linux kernel so it should be pretty smooth. Has anyone tried this?
You mean Linux as a Guest OS on Windows as host?
Well in theory it should work both ways. But the virtual GPU drivers probably are pretty bad, so unless you are doing GPU passthrough, don't expect anything super smooth.

It probably wouldnt support DXVK either without GPU Passthrough so you would be like: Dx9 to Opengl through wine and then that would go into virtual GPU drivers that would then contact the Host system GPU.. sounds pretty horrible :)

edit: And what would be the point of it anyway? Just run the game on the OS you are using is probably the best possible performance
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos

Ads
Amdus

Post#329 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:54 pm

I have a weird issue. I don't know if it's because I haven't used Linux for so long that I'm skipping something obvious or if there's something else.

I have followed all the steps. At first everything was broken and it didn't matter what I did, the launcher didn't even launch. Then I figured that I'd use the flatpack version, and it worked. I got the flatpack wine and lutris and I started over again. It all worked by default, I didn't have to do the dotnet thing or anything. I launched the launcher and it started updating. Then it finished updating but the connect icon was still grey. I reseted the launcher and it started "verifying". When it finished verifying it was grey again so I reseted and then it started verifying again. That's all. It doesn't start it just verifies all the time. What's going on?

Code: Select all

Started initial process 9734 from gamemoderun /home/Amdusias/.var/app/net.lutris.Lutris/data/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine /home/Amdusias/Games/warhammer-online-return-of-reckoning/drive_c/Return_of_Reckoning/RoRLauncher.exe
Start monitoring process.
gamemodeauto: 
fsync: up and running.
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
Monitored process exited.
Exit with return code 0

I'm running on Fedora 38 with KDE desk.

Any idea of what could be the cause? thanks in advance.

xpander
Community Management

Post#330 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:37 pm

• Right click on RoR in Lutris - > Configure .
  • Take the Runner tab (Advanced toggle on).
  • Scroll down
  • Enable Output debugging info
  • Save

Run the game again and open logs. Should spill a lot more info into it what might be wrong.

remember to disable the logging if you want to play the game though, might decrease perf a bit

Usually i wouldnt suggest using flatpak for Steam, Lutris or similar. Cause its known to sometimes have weird permission issues with games, due to sandboxing everything.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Offical RoR Discord

My Linux Gaming Videos