Recent Topics

Ads

Let me explain, manling...

Feel like burning like a bright wizard? Being as green as a gobbo? Robust like an Ironbreaker? Bloodthirsty like a witch elf? Feel free to speak as them here.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Thunderforge

Let me explain, manling...

Post#1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Thrang sighed, humans never understood. By the time they did it was too late anyway. It had all come up when the dwarf had entered the tinker's stall looking for an axe.
"Let me explain it simply for you..." the dwarf said, with the weary patience of a century. He held up the human built axe. "This is really just a lump of metal on a stick, that happens to look like an axe." Then he raised the dwarf-made axe, which was stubbier, but not much different.
"This 'ere is an axe. That's why it's worth so much more."
The tinker shrugged "But if you just want to chop wood, or kill orcs, what's the difference?"
"You want an axe that'll go blunt or stay sharp? That'll rot, rust or snap? How many of your sons will swing this axe after you're gone?" Thrang looked at the shadows for a moment. "But more than that, we dwarves understand the fundamental axe-ness that underlies it's very being... Build around it's being in steel and wood, clad the concept in reality, and then you have an artefact that's a bit more real than 'this'." He flung the manling axe on the counter roughly, and placed the dwarf axe reverently beside it.
The tinker licked his lips and nodded. "Well this one is five coppers and this one is five Imperial Gold Crowns" touching first the human axe then the dwarven one.
"Capital!" announced Thrang and tipped five coppers on the table. The tinker did a double take and stammered "But I thought you wanted a 'proper' axe?!"
"No" replied Thrang, walking off with the inferior tool. "I just wanted to chop some wood."
Thrang Thunderforge, Fierce Norscan Ironfinder
'Stumpi' Cogwasher, Least Engineer, Recruit 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers
KLINKA NA KARAZ - GRUNGA NA GRUNGRON - AZ A NA ANKOR

Ads