Knight of the blazing sun - On your guard

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
manmannen

Knight of the blazing sun - On your guard

Post#1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:27 pm

I was wondering about this ability, since I don't see any damages showing when I've used it and an enemy hit a friend with a melee attack, is the damage done by this aura made by me? It would be interesting to know in for example scenarios that give xp from damage done. My friend told me he didn't see any damages either done by the aura, when he was in my group, so neither can see the damage inflicted.

Also I saw that chosen, with it's most similar aura but focusing on magic attacks, indeed show damage popping up when having it active as a chosen and people in the group is attacked, and I know as the chosen I get credit for the damage.

It's strange that chosen show damage, but kotbs doesn't, clearly chosen gives credit for the damage done by the aura, while I really wonder how it is with kotbs?

Ads
Ninepaces

Re: Knight of the blazing sun - On your guard

Post#2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Not sure...but sc numbers are very misleading and shouldnt be used as a tool to measure competence.

For example, chosen have better auras to run than the dmg one. Id be more inclined to think a high dmg chosen due to that aura is more likely a worse player and less useful than a chosen that doesnt.

th3gatekeeper

Post#3 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Ninepaces wrote:Not sure...but sc numbers are very misleading and shouldnt be used as a tool to measure competence.

For example, chosen have better auras to run than the dmg one. Id be more inclined to think a high dmg chosen due to that aura is more likely a worse player and less useful than a chosen that doesnt.
This 100%.

Usually a FULL DPS 2H Knight will average between maybe 40k-60k damage in average SCs. The ones that do 80k-100k+ usually have damage auras which means they were NOT running things like resists/AP/toughness etc etc.

While 40-60k sounds low, none of it is "fluff" damage and almost none of it is AoE meaning that was 60k of single target damage. When players have 5-7k HP. that is probably ~ 20 players that were impacted significantly by this damage.

Its the same as the AoE BWs versus the Single target BWs.

Usually the AoE ones will put up 150-250k damage, while ST only do <100k however ST will have 10+ DBs while AOE are lucky for half the number....

I sometimes wish they wouldnt even show the total damage and total healing #s as they are 100% misleading....
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

boog

Post#4 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Regarding On Your Guard, I am certain it works. I have a KBOB and run almost exclusively with my wife and I can see the damage ticks from it off her screen.

Speaking for why a Chosen would ever run a DMG aura, besides using it for farming or agro management, is beyond me. If you get your toughness and resist aura high enough and stack STR you will melt through people. I do far more DMG running STR, TGH, and resist aura than I ever did running my DMG aura.
CHSN Wafulz | KBOB Wafuls | IB Waffulz | BG Waffelz | BO Waaaghfulz | SM Waffels

kok

Post#5 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:52 am

Why use dmg Aura?
1)Strength , toughness and even resist aura don't stack with buff/disbuff .
2)OYG give you more dps against a target than str and toughness aura
Assuring zero pt in tree
Str aura give you 12.5dps, toughness another 12.5 dps
OYG by itself is 135/2=67.5dps, more than both combine even when your ability crt.
AOA by itself is 99/3=33dps is also higher.
And Also:
3)Calling someone who do twice more dmg and more kills than you terrible because they AOE won't help you.
AOE can overwhelm heal, Group heal takes more AP and more time to cast than single target.
4)SC dmg number is just that dmg number.
SC Killing Blow however is misleading.
A class that give you dmg buff will get the KB if their buff proc even if you are the only person hitting on the enemy .
Ask yourself:Who should get the KB if a slayer do 500dmg and you do 400dmg but you do like 90% of the dmg to the character?Note that all dmg calculation time is on GCD.
Northside-KOTBS ,Southside-SW Westsides-WP Eastside-WH,Rightside-WL
Good Soldier win fight, Good Calvary win field, Good Cannon win Battle, Good logistic win Wars
--Book of Five Rings

Toldavf

Post#6 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:54 am

AOE damage aura is used for 2 reasons primarily

1. Your bombing in a double knight group
2. Holding agro in pve
Khorlar, Thorvold, Sjohgar, Anareth, Toldavf, Hartwin, Gotrin and others -_-

Tiggo
Former Staff

Post#7 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:11 am

problem with aoe aura is, you cant control it and you break any cc. other then that yes its a legit dmg src of course as kok pointed out.

and: the sc dmg statistic is the biggest pestilance in warhammer. The obsession of people with it is beyond my beliefe. some really consider themselve "best" player in a sc just cause they made most dmg, which is ridicoulus. It also drives people to switch from usefull utility (debuff enemy, purify, purge etc. etc.) to only do only dmg skills, just to rule the leaderboard...

same with healing ...

i wished there was no public scorebard to be honest ...
- Martock - Tiggo - Antigonos - Mago - Hamilkar - Melquart
- Smooshie (Destro)

boog

Post#8 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:24 pm

kok wrote:Why use dmg Aura?
1)Strength , toughness and even resist aura don't stack with buff/disbuff .
2)OYG give you more dps against a target than str and toughness aura
Assuring zero pt in tree
Str aura give you 12.5dps, toughness another 12.5 dps
OYG by itself is 135/2=67.5dps, more than both combine even when your ability crt.
AOA by itself is 99/3=33dps is also higher.
And Also:
3)Calling someone who do twice more dmg and more kills than you terrible because they AOE won't help you.
AOE can overwhelm heal, Group heal takes more AP and more time to cast than single target.
4)SC dmg number is just that dmg number.
SC Killing Blow however is misleading.
A class that give you dmg buff will get the KB if their buff proc even if you are the only person hitting on the enemy .
Ask yourself:Who should get the KB if a slayer do 500dmg and you do 400dmg but you do like 90% of the dmg to the character?Note that all dmg calculation time is on GCD.
I said, "Speaking for why a Chosen would ever run a DMG aura, besides using it for farming or agro management, is beyond me." not KBOB because DMG aura is viable for KBOB since most of their attacks are physical DMG; meanwhile most Chosen attacks are spiritual DMG so running resist aura, which for Chosen not only increases your resists but it also decreases the resists of enemy players around you, means your attacks will hit harder.

I never once said anyone was terrible that used AoE nor did I say anyone was terrible for running DMG, I suggest you read what I said which was simply that increasing the buffs your toughness and resist aura give you, which in turn reduce the toughness and resist of your enemies and stacking strength makes you hit harder and through my own experiences has resulted in me doing for more DMG than I would running my DMG aura.

Also yes over time your DMG aura MIGHT help overwhelm a healer(s). However, isn't it more overwhelming if charge into them, reduce their toughness and resists dramatically, taunt them, CC them, AP drain, and then Ravage spam them into oblivion? Once again my own personal experience, but I have caused more harm to healers and destabilized a party faster and more frequently doing what I just listed over just sitting there with my DMG aura ticking for X (I think max you can get is like 130 something and even then the DMG gets nerfed because nothing is reducing their spirit resistance) DMG every 3 seconds.
CHSN Wafulz | KBOB Wafuls | IB Waffulz | BG Waffelz | BO Waaaghfulz | SM Waffels

Ads
kok

Post#9 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:26 pm

boog wrote: I said, "Speaking for why a Chosen would ever run a DMG aura, besides using it for farming or agro management, is beyond me." not KBOB because DMG aura is viable for KBOB since most of their attacks are physical DMG; meanwhile most Chosen attacks are spiritual DMG so running resist aura, which for Chosen not only increases your resists but it also decreases the resists of enemy players around you, means your attacks will hit harder.
Chosen can run THREE Aura at the same time
Tiggo wrote:problem with aoe aura is, you cant control it and you break any cc. other then that yes its a legit dmg src of course as kok pointed out.
What CC?
The 3 sec stagger which disappear before the next AOA hit? The Eng's version which they break themselves all the time ?
It certainly not breaking snare.
Northside-KOTBS ,Southside-SW Westsides-WP Eastside-WH,Rightside-WL
Good Soldier win fight, Good Calvary win field, Good Cannon win Battle, Good logistic win Wars
--Book of Five Rings

boog

Post#10 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:41 pm

kok wrote:
boog wrote: I said, "Speaking for why a Chosen would ever run a DMG aura, besides using it for farming or agro management, is beyond me." not KBOB because DMG aura is viable for KBOB since most of their attacks are physical DMG; meanwhile most Chosen attacks are spiritual DMG so running resist aura, which for Chosen not only increases your resists but it also decreases the resists of enemy players around you, means your attacks will hit harder.
Chosen can run THREE Aura at the same time
Tiggo wrote:problem with aoe aura is, you cant control it and you break any cc. other then that yes its a legit dmg src of course as kok pointed out.
What CC?
The 3 sec stagger which disappear before the next AOA hit? The Eng's version which they break themselves all the time ?
It certainly not breaking snare.
Never said Chosen couldn't run 3 auras. You would know this if you referenced my initial post where I stated I ran toughness, STR, and resist aura. I don't even know how you made the assumption that I didn't know Chosen/KBOB could run 3 auras off that quote.

What CC? Yes I guess Quake, oh and knock down, petrify, silence (taunt), challenge, punt, snare, the aforementioned AP drain, champ challenge, distracting bellow, and then of course any of the aura's you can spec into if you so choose :\