Recent Topics

Ads

Resource builder attacks and defense checks

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Azarael

Re: Resource builder attacks and defense checks

Post#11 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:23 pm

SM and BO have been building even if their attack was parried or blocked since forever and it's never been filed as a bug.

Ads
Genisaurus
Former Staff

Post#12 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:32 pm

My instinct is to say yes, because the resources should be linked to the cast, not the hit.

...But I'd have to think about it more to give a solid answer. Tanks would essentially bodyblock resource generation. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever mained a class that actually did have a resource dependent on an ability hitting, so maybe that's just how those classes have always worked/how they were designed.

Gobtar

Post#13 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Unfortunately the only class I haven't played is a Dok/WP but in all my experience on live, an ability defended has never stopped it from generating a resource.

Penril

Post#14 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Gobtar wrote:Unfortunately the only class I haven't played is a Dok/WP but in all my experience on live, an ability defended has never stopped it from generating a resource.
From the video i linked, im 99% sure if the dok's attack got defended he didn't gain Essence.

Gobtar

Post#15 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:33 pm

I watched the video extreamly slowly, and the GCD where the ability triggered, he lands the hit and goes from 95 essence to 130, the attack that was parried must have been an AA as the the next attack he uses after that GCD is Rend Soul, also the yellow attack is what brings up the SE while the parry is in the same time stamp as the 2nd AA. Been watching alot of PvP videos on this subject at it's kinda time consuming lol.

The ability attack lands at 1:30 but the essence is granted before the animation fully triggers or the damage appears. Auto Attacks land during the GCD @ 1:31 (one of which is parried) The player doesn't attack again as he is mashing unusable abilities until Rend Soul.

This leads me to believe that the resource is granted as soon as the ability is used and not after hit detection. Never thought I would be dissecting a DPS Dok video.
Last edited by Gobtar on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penril

Post#16 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:39 pm

Gobtar wrote:I watched the video extreamly slowly, and the GCD where the ability triggered, he lands the hit and goes from 95 essence to 130, the attack that was parried must have been an AA as the the next attack he uses after that GCD is Rend Soul, also the yellow attack is what brings up the SE while the parry is in the same time stamp as the 2nd AA. Been watching alot of PvP videos on this subject at it's kinda time consuming lol.
Look again at 2:10 where his Lacerate got parried and he didnt gain the 20 essence. That one is much clearer.

Gobtar

Post#17 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:47 pm

There is no argument for interpretation there, definitely was a Lacerate, and by my own logic it should have built immediately but didn't. This would have been easier with WSCT. Is it possible they (Bioware Mythic) changed it because of the whole smite problem? Where WPs would just smite the air to get RF? I think this might have been a decided change. Thoughts?

Annaise16

Post#18 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:29 am

I don't remember the answer to this one. It is something that would have been so obvious at the time that it wasn't worth noting. When soloing bosses on my dok, I can't recall ever having to adjust a rotation to get extra SE for Rend Soul. The same applies to WH/WE. So I'd be inclined to believe that successful defences didn't affect the mechanic. But I can't be certain.

However, if you have a tooltip description, I would go with it what it says. If the tooltip says "builds mechanic on use" or "builds mechanic", I would assume that it doesn't matter whether or not it is defended. If the tooltip says "builds mechanic on a hit", then I would assume that it has to hit. The game was pretty accurate when it came to those types of tooltip descriptions.

Ads