Recent Topics

Ads

Medallion / Devastator Wipe

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
OldPlayer
Former Staff

Re: Medallion / Devastator Wipe

Post#161 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Azarael wrote:Some of the developers are of the mindset that there needs to be a sense of grind / progression to keep people interested, as this is an MMO.
This reassures me the project will be even more successful! No easymode, no counterstrikes!
magicthighs wrote:Finding bugs is what players are for. The RoR team itself doesn't have the people nor the time to do that.

Ads
Coryphaus

Post#162 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:11 pm

The thing is RoR seems very "encoruaging" of you sticking to not just one faction but one toon

With how much time you need to dedicate to grinding out for sc weapons and now deva gear

GreenWolf2471

Post#163 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:13 pm

Two things, firstly:

[Request] Destruction ROR Developer AMA - Maybe it will reassure people lol!

Second: Solution to XRealming - Could you make it so when you log onto order once you log out, you have to wait 1 hour to log into destro and vice versa? Perhaps discuss this idea, i think it might stop people Xrealing so easily?

dave2278

Post#164 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:18 pm

Azarael wrote:Some of the developers are of the mindset that there needs to be a sense of grind / progression to keep people interested, as this is an MMO. I don't hold a strong viewpoint either way on this issue, so you'd be best reaching out to them. There was another topic on this recently, was there not?
I think honestly you implemented t3 gear a bit to early imo.Adding t2 armor is alright, but adding t3 when were still in t2 is a bit iffy

Azarael

Post#165 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:19 pm

That reminds me. I have a patch I need to apply...

dave2278

Post#166 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Azarael wrote:That reminds me. I have a patch I need to apply...
Spoiler:
ohhh mysterious

witchdoctor

Post#167 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:00 am

i read over and over again things in forum,
by example "why do destro backdoors not work? dev must prefer Order... "
I play Order, and i cant use any backdoor of an Order keep... so why are those morons telling lies?

I think the only thing the haters want, is damaging your reputation. Because they are angry...

I played after the new Patch... as not one destro cared about the fact, that no Order could get Medaillions at a 30/70 ratio... I didnt cry about that, i even didnt find a group for RvR...
i GODDAMN skilled my Runepriest on DMG and killed some destros (and also find some cool Destro to Troll arround..)
You are doing so well guys... plz dont give any **** on what this little crying kids are telling...

I can just tell it again.... sorry for my english xD

dcNarna

Post#168 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:14 am

After reading through this thread, I'd like to just point some things out, as well as how I feel overall.

1. The drastic imbalance due to the keep farming done was due to the medallions change, and as per the keep changes, that was a patch and an actual implementation, is it that fair to say players knew it was "wrong" to farm keeps, if that was the means of getting "progression" items?

2. To say that player's time and effort is clouding the fact they they "knew" it was wrong is quite ridiculous. Devaluing what people play for is counter intuitive I feel, and something should be done to work with players, instead of dismissing their time and efforts as ultimately pointless or something along the lines of: you should have known better.

3. The 70/30 split was due to Order players x-realming to progress their characters, if there was a zerg going on, obviously if you had a Destro character you'd join up and get with the means of progression. The Order was definitely dominating Destro the past week at certain times, and that can make people feel that they were dominating for the entire time during the week.

4. Although I agree with the wipe overall, it puts a terrifying precedent (purple wipe, medal/devas wipe) that whenever content comes out, we should probably not play and not do it since there may be a wipe. Sure this can be avoided with careful planning, but the thought will continue to linger in people's minds.

5. It's difficult to say whether the grind is the reason why people come back to MMOs, however, I feel that it's "progression" that keeps people playing, and I feel it is possible to separate grinding to progressing. For example, the traditional method is "Do X number of times to get Y reward". How do you apply this in a game sense that will promote RvR, less zerging, and overall better the player experience? I feel like if the enemy faction players dropped medals (as well as a slim chance of devas or w.e tier it is), it promotes actual contact out of zerging and domination. However, this can cause either side to continue to "farm" and WC camp to get these things. I do not envy the position the devs are in with this issue.

6. Players need to realize that, ultimately to better game we need to do our part in the issues, but that just isn't feasible when there are those who are obviously stubborn and blind to the issues, however it's not fair to address the whole player base on the actions of those people, nor is it fair to "ignore" or devalue player's commitment, time, or effort, just solely based on your points of view.
was destro main, now i play order cause it's easier

Ads
dkabib

Post#169 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:48 am

dcNarna wrote:After reading through this thread, I'd like to just point some things out, as well as how I feel overall.

1. The drastic imbalance due to the keep farming done was due to the medallions change, and as per the keep changes, that was a patch and an actual implementation, is it that fair to say players knew it was "wrong" to farm keeps, if that was the means of getting "progression" items?

2. To say that player's time and effort is clouding the fact they they "knew" it was wrong is quite ridiculous. Devaluing what people play for is counter intuitive I feel, and something should be done to work with players, instead of dismissing their time and efforts as ultimately pointless or something along the lines of: you should have known better.

3. The 70/30 split was due to Order players x-realming to progress their characters, if there was a zerg going on, obviously if you had a Destro character you'd join up and get with the means of progression. The Order was definitely dominating Destro the past week at certain times, and that can make people feel that they were dominating for the entire time during the week.

4. Although I agree with the wipe overall, it puts a terrifying precedent (purple wipe, medal/devas wipe) that whenever content comes out, we should probably not play and not do it since there may be a wipe. Sure this can be avoided with careful planning, but the thought will continue to linger in people's minds.

5. It's difficult to say whether the grind is the reason why people come back to MMOs, however, I feel that it's "progression" that keeps people playing, and I feel it is possible to separate grinding to progressing. For example, the traditional method is "Do X number of times to get Y reward". How do you apply this in a game sense that will promote RvR, less zerging, and overall better the player experience? I feel like if the enemy faction players dropped medals (as well as a slim chance of devas or w.e tier it is), it promotes actual contact out of zerging and domination. However, this can cause either side to continue to "farm" and WC camp to get these things. I do not envy the position the devs are in with this issue.

6. Players need to realize that, ultimately to better game we need to do our part in the issues, but that just isn't feasible when there are those who are obviously stubborn and blind to the issues, however it's not fair to address the whole player base on the actions of those people, nor is it fair to "ignore" or devalue player's commitment, time, or effort, just solely based on your points of view.
We're in Alpha.
Vanhorts

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#170 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:53 am

dcNarna wrote:After reading through this thread, I'd like to just point some things out, as well as how I feel overall.

Yes, it is quite fair. The context of the changes was to experiment and find a way that keep trading is no longer an issue.

What you play for is a bit misleading. This is an alpha state server attempting to do better than our predecessors. Your time and effort is appreciated, but understand that it is in the context of testing and finding bugs so we can further iterate on what works and what does not. This did not, as evidenced by the results. Fun, and value-added enjoyment are wonderful side effects for those who loved the game before it went offline.

The population does not vary this much, there was a 5% shift that snowballed out of control. http://fplteam.co.uk/RoR/popcharts.php

The wipes that have already occurred are only unprecedented if viewed from the whole history of WAR, and is a strong turn from Mythic/EA handling of the game to what RoR is willing to do. If the general population decides to abuse an exploit to the point the health of the server is threatened, strong actions should be expected. Players are in control of their destiny, report your bugs and have some honor about unintended consequences. Continuing to farm keeps for the next 12 to 16 hours is hardly acceptable.

Set gear has not been added to player loot tables. It doesn't mean that will never happen. Default direction for the game as far as itemization has been to revert to what was the live state pre-1.4. There are some exceptions that have been made to this, and more will follow. Medallions do currently drop from players, although the rate might be lower than is reasonable considering the Tier structure currently. T2 is mostly finished at this point but players are halfway through T3 level-wise. It's a work in progress, some things move faster than others and releasing content in bits seems to be pleasant to the majority of the population. The alternative being tons of code (re: inevitable bugs) dumped onto the live server as a major patch every couple of months.

Devs are responding to player feedback, discussions are had largely centered around player feedback, implementations are based on player feedback. Make a good argument for how and why the server should change, and I assure you we're certainly watching and weighing all of the options.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog