System crash(ed)

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
DraqO

System crash(ed)

Post#1 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:57 pm

I was playing last evening when the entire game froze. Now I am unable to even get my computer to start up. Anyone else have this issue? Any assistance anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Ads
FFNation

Re: System crash(ed)

Post#2 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:43 am

Sounds like a hardware failure

lumpi33

Post#3 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:29 pm

It's often a memory problem. They can get faulty. Try with only one memory stick. If that doesn't work then try the other one.

Could be also an overheat problem. Maybe your CPU or GPU got overheated and destroyed but that barely happens because the system usually turns off when there is overheat.

If only Windows doesn't start then maybe your SDD drive got faulty. That's happening a lot, especially with older drives. There is also one faulty samsung series where it switches to read only when that happens. Then you can't boot up anymore.

If you cant figure it out then burn a KNOPPIX linux CD and boot up from it. Then start analysing hardware there.

Good luck!

DraqO

Post#4 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:18 pm

When I try to restart it, the monitor shows a white outline in the shape of a rectangle in the upper left corner. I tried another monitor and it goes into power save without starting. So I am wondering if it is a problem with the video card. Anyhow, thanks for the replies.

lumpi33

Post#5 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:34 pm

Uh, yeah, sounds like a video card problem.

Make sure that the video card is correctly sitting in the slot and that the power cables are connected to the card. Take it out, clean fans and put it back in. Also smell it if it smells burned. Smell also your power unit.

Some CPUs have also an integrated video card, then you can plug in the monitor on the mainboard.

Try to get a video card from another PC and try that in yours.