Recent Topics

Ads

Lvl 24 sorc, general questions about aoe spec

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Elfo7

Lvl 24 sorc, general questions about aoe spec

Post#1 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:15 am

Hello, I am trying to understand the sorcerer class since I haven’t played for years, and I used to play a choppa. Now I want to play sorc and I am having a blast using an aoe spec. I know it may not be the most optimal spec but so far I usually do good dps. Some questions:

Does every point invested in the mastery tree increase damage, or only allow you to reach new skills?

I have seen that the shadow knives spell is 6 second cast. Isn’t that an eternity? Is this spell worth the investment considering it is very deep in the mastery tree?

What aoe spells are the bread and butter of the sorcerer? Is there any spell not worth casting ?(aoe)

I was also considering doing a hand of ruin or impending doom and aoe build. Is it worth giving up shadow knives to get these spells?

Where should I spend my reknown points? So far i am only spending them on magic critical chance.

For an aoe sorc, what would be a good combination of gear? Full sovereign, maybe sov+triumphant? I have no idea.

I know this is a lot of questions but any help is appreciated.

Ads
shoelessHN

Re: Lvl 24 sorc, general questions about aoe spec

Post#2 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:27 am

Mastery points increase the general damage in that tree by 1-2% per point.
Shadow knives is a channeled ability (6s long) just like all the other channeled ones (hand of ruin, pit of shades, disastrous cascade)
I'll let someone that plays sorc more answer the other two but I don't run into many people running shadow knives.

Lion1986

Post#3 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:22 am

Elfo7 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:15 am Hello, I am trying to understand the sorcerer class since I haven’t played for years, and I used to play a choppa. Now I want to play sorc and I am having a blast using an aoe spec. I know it may not be the most optimal spec but so far I usually do good dps. Some questions:

Does every point invested in the mastery tree increase damage, or only allow you to reach new skills?
I was also considering doing a hand of ruin or impending doom and aoe build. Is it worth giving up shadow knives to get these spells?
Where should I spend my reknown points? So far i am only spending them on magic critical chance.
I know this is a lot of questions but any help is appreciated.
hi there i got both sorc and BW 80rr .
First thing first: welcome to the worst class ever made! Enjoy your stay!
I know it may not be the most optimal spec but so far I usually do good dps.
aoe specs are king actually in ror due to open rvr and fortresses being a blob zerg vs another blob zerg. Single target damage is pointless.
note one thing: is not just a matter of "dps". As caster you must learn to drop down aoe bomb together with others dpsers, unlike choppa, because:
-when you cast, you kill urself basically
-your strong aoe skills still have some cd
-you are resistant as a tissue of wet toilet paper and 90% you are the first target into an engagement.

each point of mastery increase roughly by 1% the damage of all skills belonging to that tree.
I have seen that the shadow knives spell is 6 second cast. Isn’t that an eternity? Is this spell worth the investment considering it is very deep in the mastery tree?
that is CHANNELED ability, means your character maintains his focus while using the spell. is not a CAST is a CHANNEL ;)
What aoe spells are the bread and butter of the sorcerer? Is there any spell not worth casting ?(aoe)
infernal wave on cooldown.
Shattering shaodws? remove from hotbar. 3 sec cast and damage not compensate for the long cast time. plus is easily interruptible.
Pit of shades: bread and butter of "Edge sieging skill". Use for tunneling situations.
Disastrous cascade as a close quarter aoe bombing (not recomended at level 24)
For an aoe sorc, what would be a good combination of gear? Full sovereign, maybe sov+triumphant? I have no idea.
Keep vanquisher all the way once you hit Rank 40. (is even better than invader gear lol)
Then go sov.

For leveling does not means much because you are free kill anyway. Get both scenario or open rvr. Stick with warbands and hide.
A lot of 40 have sov gear nowaday which make boost pathetically bad at keeping up the gear difference.

githappens

Post#4 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:59 am

Remember conq and vanq gloves+boots are tradeable.

DirkDaring

Post#5 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:53 pm

On live I had a 90 Sorc, and a 96 BW, here I have a BW been 82 since 2019, and a 35 Sorc since 2016, so I have played them both quite a bit over the years .

For first question yes each point in the mastery tree, does increase damage with spells in that tree, as well as allow access to more abilities.

As for Shadowknives, it is a channeled spell, so it does damage every couple ticks over the 6 sec, similar to BW Fireball barrage, Shades of death is similar, however Shades of death, unless it has changed can not crit, so like on live most did not take it, but Shadowknives is ok, if you wish to use it.

Even in a AOE build, it is worth it to go up Agnoy tree and get impending doom, it s great for fast nuke, as well as building dark magic quickly. like using Dhar wind on oil as an example at 90+ dark magic as it does moral damage, and hits oil for more damage, or on a tanky player, then follow up with doom .

As far as spec it depends, doing SC, or small scale roam then a impending doom, and hand of ruin build is great for assist on primary targets, for open RvR zerg surfing, or in organized Warband assisting off choppa etc, Aoe is good,

At low lvl Dist Cascade is sketchy, however picking up lengthing shadows, and never ending agnoy. to extend the distance to 98 ft, as well as radius, and no cd on use . you could even pick up black horror, until higher lvl , as a filler, the 3 sec cast s long, but it is possible to get off now and then, and the neg intivt helps them be crit more often.

Be careful with casting AOE spells, on keep siege, or on DEf, pre push, try to use only single target spells, to keep moral up, for push, If you spam AOE , all you basically do is help them build morals, this is true of all classes, esp Magnus, choppa, etc who have a habit of doing that lol.

Zxul

Post#6 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:25 pm

Check this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=40341
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Elfo7

Post#7 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:07 pm

Thanks everyone for the detailed posts and info.

Elfo7

Post#8 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:25 am

By the way, I am RR47 and I have spent all my points in focused power (+critical chance). What other reknown abilities should I get? I have seen one which improves dodge and disrupt, and also the one with intelligence. Shall I keep boosting crit or is there any other worthwhile abilities? The crit one already costs 15 points.

Ads
DirkDaring

Post#9 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:25 am

Elfo7 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:25 am By the way, I am RR47 and I have spent all my points in focused power (+critical chance). What other reknown abilities should I get? I have seen one which improves dodge and disrupt, and also the one with intelligence. Shall I keep boosting crit or is there any other worthwhile abilities? The crit one already costs 15 points.
You can but normally I go with 3 rans of magic crit, as with gear, crit talisman, and class mech which adds 35% crit, I am normally close to 70 % crt if not a few points over. granted this is with endgame sets, Sov/trimp. lotd ring, cloak, etc. I normally get 3 ranks of magic crit, 2 or 3 intel ranks as its cheap, then 2 or 3 ranks Futile strikes, 3 ranks of Deft Defender, , try aim for 8k to 9k wounds will be harder as no wounds buff, so you will need to use wounds/ magic crit liniment, on my BW i used to run around with 1000 intel, but that was for fishing for Flashfire procs, which Sorc doesn`t get.

It is easier to gear now, that you can bypass RvR sets and get PVE sets to count toward wards req to wear RvR sets, we used to have to pray for gear in bags we needed lol. and pve sets didn`t count they were just something to get until your item dropped in bag. Be sure get Gunbad set, then Sent set for ring, they made it easier, and reduced nfluence for sent ring by half. need that to get Bloodlord Staff, plus lets you save all crests for Sov/trimp mix etc. later on.