Recent Topics

Ads

Mara vs WL range of main aoe skills

Let's talk about... everything else
Omegus

Re: Mara vs WL range of main aoe skills

Post#11 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:39 pm

Phantasm wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:30 amFor pure science, yes, your script can be helpful, but my first post isnt about science. Right now, only Enemy range check (friendly targets) and Tether (as a comparison) provide any information about distance between targets. Using widely available tools I provided numbers for various skills that seem odd. Thats all I can do to add body to players "feels" and "thinks". Because those "feels" and "thinks" seem to be accounted for future balance attempts.
I get that, but I am also now waiting for "70ft pull" and "45ft GTTC" to be repeated as facts by others as usually happens. Working out the actual distances (which people can then compare their assumptions and feels to) seems to be a more helpful way of explaining things.

For example, for how most people imagine their character (a point in the middle rather than the space 5ft around them), Mara pull is actually 75ft centre-to-centre, so if they are asking for a range reduction for balance purposes then any proposals need to specify if they're talking about centre-to-centre or circle-to-circle, because - for example - someone saying a fairer range is "50ft" doesn't confirm if they mean 50ft based on how the range checks work (which would be equal to actually 60ft centre-to-centre), or 50ft centre-to-centre which would actually cause the ability to show up as 40ft in game as the client uses circle-to-circle.

As a way of showing the different AOE abilities with the same tooltip radius are actually different this thread is fine, but no one should take the "real" numbers here as being correct.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Ads
Bosli

Post#12 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:14 pm

Balance + tooltip should never reference to center imo, because that would break certain PvE targets with a bigger hitbox (bosses, keep lords, rams, etc), possibly even ram vs. door placement range.

Also, hitbox border distance allows for possible future hitbox transformation, be it different hitbox sizes per race, character transformation (magus m4 - huge hitbox, huge collision, possibly cannot hit in melee with only 15 ft center-center) or some kind of special events with hitbox/model swap.

Phantasm

Post#13 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:02 pm

I did quick review of WL Slashing Blade and Whirling Axe range regarding recent Abilities System changes and new results are:

Slashing Blade = 32 feet - +1 feet

Whirling Blade = 37 feet - +10 feet