Recent Topics

Ads

[BW] The fireclown

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
wonshot

Re: [BW] The fireclown

Post#21 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:59 pm

paperclipdog wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:06 am
Your obsession with Close Quarters worries me a bit (every gravord stream I watched...) and I wouldn't want to lose it for pve tbh.
That being said, a tactic to channel Annihilation/Disastrous Cascade on the move might just fall into that beautiful level of 'not mandatory, but viable alternative tactics' that I wish we had more of in this game. If it just added damage like the magus one, it would just become mandatory almost instantly and thus meh. Damage is also already high enough on both classes.

Rain of Fire should remain stationary, you are already trading safety for mobility there and the damage is too high to make it castable on the move. Nerfing the damage would make it almost pointless to use. Nerfing the range would make it just the same as your melee bombing.

ST:
Consistent ST damage could probably be achieved via tactics that change how your dots work. Longer duration but no more exlodey-ness. Long duration ignite and boiling blood as normal dot.
Add on top your instants/quick casts and you'd have fairly consistant dps without making it clunky like a one-button long duration channel.
What do you think about that solution?

A tactic that lets flames of ruin proc from dot ticks on top of that probably wouldn't interfere with your timestamp build. But it might break the aoe build. Could make it st dots only tho.
Hey thanks for actually wanting to talk about the BW in the BW topic and not like the rest of those posts on page1 and page2 where it ended up being about what classes BW fight against ,eventhough that is somewhat relevant just not really the main topic.

My "main" reason for bringing up CQ is simply as the name suggests that it used to be a close range tactic for pvp on Live before the adjustment into what it is now. And rarely does it see much slotting outside of pve which is fine it inself.
But a build for both sorc & Bw in close range, and the main closerange tactic is not good enough or face too many restrictions just make me wonder if something could be done about it to improve on it.

Right now with CQ it only boosts casttime, and you dont really cast too much in close range. So it limmits the available abilities it can enhance.
It then also face the restriction of a narrow 20ft range.
Plus with the ammonth of cc, and interrupts flying around a casttime reduction within only 20ft on an immobile class. That tactic is just not very useable in most situations, and thats where tactic slots are used. For more uptime, most situations.

I do agree with your assestment of a tactic to make pbaoe(not ranged) channels be castable on the move, that would be a good fair tradeoff and i like that suggestion!

Also an interesting alternative way of trying to make these classes do consistant damage via DoTs and not timestamp backloaded burst or standstill big hard-casting.
For Dots to be the main source of damage, i guess clensing + cooldownreduction from WW/CF would just negate this playstyle fully?
And I would wonder if this would not just BW/Sorc too hard to catch as they wouldnt need to stand still at all and could constantly be in maxrange. Atleast for Timestamp you need to hardcast 1-3 spells and stand still exposed to taunt/gabclosing.

My suggestion for Channeled ST abilities to ramp up over the duration would be to get out of this "click it once for the instant tick" playstyle and instead the user would have to stand still and channel, exposing themselves to getting interrupted or caught up to, by standing still in tradeoff for longer singletarget channeling damage doing consistant damage as an alternative to timestamps.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

Ads
Zxul

Post#22 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:09 pm

wonshot wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:59 pm My "main" reason for bringing up CQ is simply as the name suggests that it used to be a close range tactic for pvp on Live before the adjustment into what it is now. And rarely does it see much slotting outside of pve which is fine it inself.
But a build for both sorc & Bw in close range, and the main closerange tactic is not good enough or face too many restrictions just make me wonder if something could be done about it to improve on it.

Right now with CQ it only boosts casttime, and you dont really cast too much in close range. So it limmits the available abilities it can enhance.
Plus with the ammonth of cc, and interrupts flying around a casttime reduction within only 20ft on an immobile class. That tactic is just not very useable in most situations, and thats where tactic slots are used. For more uptime, most situations.
Again, on my Agony main sorc, CQ + Doombolt work very fine in pvp. You do however need to spec around it, and around not expecting to kite in the first place.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

paperclipdog

Post#23 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:06 am

wonshot wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:59 pm
My "main" reason for bringing up CQ is simply as the name suggests that it used to be a close range tactic for pvp on Live before the adjustment into what it is now. And rarely does it see much slotting outside of pve which is fine it inself.

I do agree with your assestment of a tactic to make pbaoe(not ranged) channels be castable on the move, that would be a good fair tradeoff and i like that suggestion!

Also an interesting alternative way of trying to make these classes do consistant damage via DoTs and not timestamp backloaded burst or standstill big hard-casting.
For Dots to be the main source of damage, i guess clensing + cooldownreduction from WW/CF would just negate this playstyle fully?
And I would wonder if this would not just BW/Sorc too hard to catch as they wouldnt need to stand still at all and could constantly be in maxrange. Atleast for Timestamp you need to hardcast 1-3 spells and stand still exposed to taunt/gabclosing.

My suggestion for Channeled ST abilities to ramp up over the duration would be to get out of this "click it once for the instant tick" playstyle and instead the user would have to stand still and channel, exposing themselves to getting interrupted or caught up to, by standing still in tradeoff for longer singletarget channeling damage doing consistant damage as an alternative to timestamps.
If CQ worked in 40ft. instead of 20, the tactic would probably be useable and actually lead to your best aoe DPS in pvp being to spam Fiery blast. I think that sounds like horrible gameplay though. I'm not creative enough to come up with a better solution than yours but I think yours hits on one of Sorc/BWs biggest needs for AOE: More mobility. It is very hard to keep up without charge/pounce/slow immunity even if you don't stop to channel. On top of that order don't have those aoe KD windows to get a good channel off.

For ST you are probably correct that it might be too easy to cleanse, but cleansing also completely shuts down the timestamp rotation. Squig damage works so well because they have constant pressure on top of the dots from autoattack & petattack so just spamming cleanse when you have 2 of those running may put you on the back-foot.
Dot rotations do seem to work though. Afaik Magus plays a dot spec for ranked where you burst by having 6-7 dots rolling on top of your channel. Then again 6-7, 2-3 of them aoe, is a lot more than my 2-3 proposed dots.
The idea wasn't that just dots alone would do the trick though, you'd still have to stop for the same casts as on your timestamp rotation. Burning Iron, Pyroclastic Surge, Sear, Fireball Barrage, Withering Heat. More often even since you want consistent damage. If dots alone did the trick, having all of those on top would make it OP.

Edit: Actually, even dps AM works in ranked, that's also just dots and a high damage channel. I think in group play the cleanse angle won't be an issue as long as you bring someone else who has pressure.

The issue I see with your channel solution is that the counterplay is even easier than dots and it is just 1 button :D. Walk behind an obstacle to insta cancel it or have your tanks use taunt. Done. Meanwhile you are completely immobile and when BWs get caught they tend to die.

In general I am worried how any consistent dps would interact with the timestamp which is why I sought a way to completely disable it. The timestamp talents are so early in that tree they'll be easily combined with most additions.