Recent Topics

Ads

Gear progression and expectations

Let's talk about... everything else
Scionotic

Gear progression and expectations

Post#1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:48 pm

Hello, I started playing RoR about a week ago and I've been doing lots of research about end game activities and gearing options.

So anyways, the general ideas that came out of my research is that:

1. Entry level gear for 40/40+ is somewhat easy to get and accessible.

2. BiS gear is only attainable by people who play 16 hours a day and are in top guilds.

As an NA player who plays maybe 20-30 hours a week in sessions of 1-3 hours. Can I ever expect to reach top gear such as Sovereign?

*I can't wake up in the middle of the night to participate to oRvR events.

Ads
Scottx125

Re: Gear progression and expectations

Post#2 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:10 pm

NA players have it rough no doubt. The crests are easy to come by from keep pushes, but there's hardly any renown. And no, BiS is not only attainable by playing 16 hours a day. I generally play 1 guild event per week which is 3-4 hours long. Plus 2-4 hours ORVR in the week with 2-4 hours over the weekend for the event. That's it. Most weeks I'll average 750-1200 crests. 1500 if I'm lucky and get a city and 2000 if I get 2 cities in a week. Full Sov is around 10k crests so that's about 1-2 months of play. Not what I call hard.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Scionotic

Post#3 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:27 am

That's much better than expected, I don't mind the process taking several months, as long as constant progression is possible. Do you think something similar would be achievable if I play mostly around NA times?

Scottx125

Post#4 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:30 am

Scionotic wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:27 am That's much better than expected, I don't mind the process taking several months, as long as constant progression is possible. Do you think something similar would be achievable if I play mostly around NA times?
Depends on which way the wind blows. Your renown progression will be harder. That's certain. Your crest gain will be better or worse depending on the night and which faction is stronger. On the rare occasion you'll get a balanced fight but most of the time one side just outnumbers the other and you'll either get keep push after keep push earning tons of crests, or you'll get hammered and earn hardly anything. It's hard to say, I normally look at the population and use that as an indicator of if I'm gonna log in or not. If it's 60:40 Destro to Order. I'm not logging in for ORvR xD.
Spoiler:
Now a member of Oath.

vanjelis

Post#5 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:27 am

Damn cities sound pretty good for crests huh. I sure wish they were available in my timezone while working regular 9-5 hours lol

Nameless

Post#6 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:10 am

From 35/40 made it to kinda bis 40/79 at pretty pug environment, playing 3-4h at max, almost daily for about 3 months. Doing sc, orvr, cities, forts and all week events. Only few pve (funbad). Prolly could be faster if you do more pve.
Got the crests for the gear before the needed renown rank (beside triumph jewl) but skipt some sets.
Doable but you need some game medium knowledge
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

BluIzLucky

Post#7 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:43 am

Just to give you some context to why old post on the topic are pretty much obsolete...
About half a year ago, they introduced some big changes:
1. Currency unification, this is simplified there's some nuances, but previously pretty much every gear set had it's own currency, that you could only get from doing associated tasks (e.g. you had to do forts to get invader), this meant you could get stuck, now there's only two, War Crests from pvp and RoR crests from pve pqs..

2. PvE wards (used to unlock next gear tier) now counts towards PvP equivalent, this can save a lot of crests.

3. Narrowing of rewards by content, before doing city was pretty much the only realistic way of getting BIS, it could in some cases be 25x times faster than ORvR, hence why you see some classes unpopular in city complain or the idea of having to be in top guilds, now this gap is down to like 5-10x through increased rewards from normal play.
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Scottx125

Post#8 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:07 pm

Yeah that's a big thing, you don't have to get every set. Do PvE and skip 1-2 sets and use PvE gear if it's better. You can save the crests for sov gear.
Spoiler:
Now a member of Oath.

Ads
Fleetfox

Post#9 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:17 pm

fellow NA player here, and yeah the renown farm is ROUGH, specially if you play late.

I work all day and by the time I get home and have some time I get maybe 2 hours of steady rvr then the population tanks at around 8pm central and there is nothing to do

Amdus

Post#10 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:05 pm

1- Save all the crests, obtain gear from bags, pq's and weapons from epic quests.
2-Once you hit Rank 40 start doing PvE and get all the PvE sets.
3-Socket with the best talis you can find bloodlord and sentinel.
4-Do RvR, keep obtaining gear from bags and saving up crests.
5-Once you are RR70+ Start buying warlord/sov whatever is better for your class and spec. (for some warlord is better than sov).
6-Upgrade your weapon to fortress, unless bloodlord/sentinel is better. If so, skip this part.

This way, by the time you are RR70 you should have around 15k crests and most of the ward requisites to equip either Warlord or Sovereign.

Most people don't want to admit this, but the reality is that the stat increase from one set to the other is so small that in 99% of the cases is not even worth buying it. Talis make a bigger difference than gear itself, by obtaining a couple of epic items from RvR influence or even lair bosses you'll be better geared than using most sets under conq.