Recent Topics

Ads

Any explanation for the severe lack of balance changes?

Let's talk about... everything else
Arla

Re: Any explanation for the severe lack of balance changes?

Post#21 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:30 am

It's the fact that AoE is apparently the only game in town which leads to hyper-inspection by those on the losing end of Sceenario play, especially where they queu solo. AoE's dominance was brought on largely by the choice to dumb down CC so the WoW kids could deal (queu angry millennial exasperated with "stunlock"). CC was the avenue through which assist train teams profitted on live. Now it's just gear to heal/gear to AoE/gear to block and be a hit point pool. It's a very boring and simplistic Meta that I also would offer is more of a turn off to newcomers than an assist train. Hard to argue when an assist train is on point. Easy to point to the AoE meta skills that make the game on par with "My Little Pony" mmo's.

Ads
Scottx125

Post#22 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:51 am

Arla wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:30 am It's the fact that AoE is apparently the only game in town which leads to hyper-inspection by those on the losing end of Sceenario play, especially where they queu solo. AoE's dominance was brought on largely by the choice to dumb down CC so the WoW kids could deal (queu angry millennial exasperated with "stunlock"). CC was the avenue through which assist train teams profitted on live. Now it's just gear to heal/gear to AoE/gear to block and be a hit point pool. It's a very boring and simplistic Meta that I also would offer is more of a turn off to newcomers than an assist train. Hard to argue when an assist train is on point. Easy to point to the AoE meta skills that make the game on par with "My Little Pony" mmo's.
That's absolutely not true. I've face some absolutely disgusting ST groups in city that have just annihilated healers faster than they can be ressed. ST isn't just nuke X target and win. It's about coordinating your nukes on the targets that count. AOE bombing is about coordinating your group to overwhelm the enemies healing pressure to kill a good chunk of the group so they can be taken out piecemeal.

In regards to lack of balance changes. They do come through. But so slowly it beggars belief. I remember a few years ago now we had major class changes with each patch during a balance push. Since then we've only had minor changes and the odd big change here and there. I get these changes are tested with focus groups and that they take a lot of time and effort to do properly. But this is an alpha state game. Pushing changes to the community as a whole up front would surely provide more information than just giving it to a small focus group. And if something is way too strong or weak, hotfix it back and make changes for the next balance push. Relying on the community to suggest changes and then testing those changes with a focus group isn't what I call active balancing. It's reactive. Which is the wrong way to do it IMO. Active changes should be proposed by the dev team, suggestions and feedback from the community should then mould those initial suggestions to make them work by reworking them or replacing them with something different. Now the aforementioned might not be how testing is actually done (I'm not in the loop). But that's how it seems to me from the outside as I've watched the development of this server for over 8 years (especially more recently).
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Sinisterror

Post#23 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:11 am

Scottx125 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:51 am
Arla wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:30 am It's the fact that AoE is apparently the only game in town which leads to hyper-inspection by those on the losing end of Sceenario play, especially where they queu solo. AoE's dominance was brought on largely by the choice to dumb down CC so the WoW kids could deal (queu angry millennial exasperated with "stunlock"). CC was the avenue through which assist train teams profitted on live. Now it's just gear to heal/gear to AoE/gear to block and be a hit point pool. It's a very boring and simplistic Meta that I also would offer is more of a turn off to newcomers than an assist train. Hard to argue when an assist train is on point. Easy to point to the AoE meta skills that make the game on par with "My Little Pony" mmo's.
That's absolutely not true. I've face some absolutely disgusting ST groups in city that have just annihilated healers faster than they can be ressed. ST isn't just nuke X target and win. It's about coordinating your nukes on the targets that count. AOE bombing is about coordinating your group to overwhelm the enemies healing pressure to kill a good chunk of the group so they can be taken out piecemeal.

In regards to lack of balance changes. They do come through. But so slowly it beggars belief. I remember a few years ago now we had major class changes with each patch during a balance push. Since then we've only had minor changes and the odd big change here and there. I get these changes are tested with focus groups and that they take a lot of time and effort to do properly. But this is an alpha state game. Pushing changes to the community as a whole up front would surely provide more information than just giving it to a small focus group. And if something is way too strong or weak, hotfix it back and make changes for the next balance push. Relying on the community to suggest changes and then testing those changes with a focus group isn't what I call active balancing. It's reactive. Which is the wrong way to do it IMO. Active changes should be proposed by the dev team, suggestions and feedback from the community should then mould those initial suggestions to make them work by reworking them or replacing them with something different. Now the aforementioned might not be how testing is actually done (I'm not in the loop). But that's how it seems to me from the outside as I've watched the development of this server for over 8 years (especially more recently).
Well there was a time when HUGE changes happened often. Ab.ex days where big things were changed and i remember when WL was changed so much that they just rolled it back to live values overnight (it seemed overnight) And sometimes after that this rdcls 24 aoe cap was introduced which makes kiting with Warbands impossible because tanks cant soak dmg (I mean this Rampage ignoring guard mechanic and **** morales is so stupid and NO IDEA WHY NOT CHANGED it never worked like this for obvious reasons) And it used to take 3 dps (aoe cap was 9 and should be all was designed around this) to actually hit 24 people and now it takes only 1 so basically its 3 times more aoe dmg and no fun spam.

Man it feels so stupid to even mention 24 aoe cap and espesially Rampage because it is obvious to everyone who has played AoR/RoR in 2017-2018 but its still not changed so i quess we need to keep mentioning it :
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

Arla

Post#24 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:56 am

I choppa/slayer can hit a whole warband in one hit. Seems legit....

facundo7777

Post#25 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:09 am

Sofong wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:06 am
billyk wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:11 pm
Sofong wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:43 pm devs play WL and slayer :D
So why are there no all SL/WL groups but tons of all greenskin groups?
Look, just because your shammy can't uber-r0XX0r WLs 100% doesn't mean they're overpowered. If you get your ass kicks on destro you just need to git gud.
im just telling da facts: devs play WL and slayer (secrets and wargrimmnir)
which dev plays greenskins :D
Is Wargrimmnir a dev? I thought he is gm.🤔🙃

Lithenir

Post#26 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 am

Sinisterror wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:11 am Man it feels so stupid to even mention 24 aoe cap and espesially Rampage because it is obvious to everyone who has played AoR/RoR in 2017-2018 but its still not changed so i quess we need to keep mentioning it :
Can't mention Rampage without mentioning GTDC, the most ridiculous skill in this game

Whyumadbro

Post#27 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:55 am

Lithenir wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 am
Sinisterror wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:11 am Man it feels so stupid to even mention 24 aoe cap and espesially Rampage because it is obvious to everyone who has played AoR/RoR in 2017-2018 but its still not changed so i quess we need to keep mentioning it :
Can't mention Rampage without mentioning GTDC, the most ridiculous skill in this game
yeah destro says its the worst ability somehow, having 2 pulls on 2 good classes but rampage is the broken thing.....

Butzinjo

Post#28 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:20 pm

But isn't the grass in the neighbor's garden always greener? So i would say, the only reason order gets mad at SH and Shaman is because they don't have to fight SW and AM.
Most of the time I'm really happy that the dev's do their thing and don't listen to what the community wants or thinks.
Btw Festering Arrow should crit more often ;)

Ads
Panel

Post#29 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:41 pm

Butzinjo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:20 pm But isn't the grass in the neighbor's garden always greener? So i would say, the only reason order gets mad at SH and Shaman is because they don't have to fight SW and AM.
Most of the time I'm really happy that the dev's do their thing and don't listen to what the community wants or thinks.
Btw Festering Arrow should crit more often ;)
The reason Order "gets mad at SH and Shaman" is because the run away tactic allows them to survive situations where a SW or AM would have been long dead.

rejndjer
Suspended

Post#30 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:43 pm

you can only see on forums that someone thinks SW is strong. SW and engie most useless shitclasses in game. you don't need focus group to see that