So who do I kill first?

Let's talk about... everything else
karbomike

So who do I kill first?

Post#1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:46 am

Hi all, I'm still fairly new to the game and I'm learning my way around assisting and what not as a dps. My question is what's the kill priority in RoR? I end up assisting a lot of people targeting tanks and that doesn't seem right as they are really hard to kill. Should we be taking down mdps first or healers or what? Thanks in advance
Last edited by karbomike on Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ads
Acidic

Re: So who do I kill first?

Post#2 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:10 am

Healer typically or very low target if opertunity.
Ppl tend to target tanks as the tank uses challenge which moves target to them and players don’t change it.
But change target with Guard and detaunt to next healer squishy dps

Tanks are there to be punted away and for the main ignored, they don’t do huge damage and are more often than not thier to soak up damage

Sulorie

Post#3 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:13 am

Hello,

you target dps classes first, those without guard or obvious grp support are prefered targets.
If the target gets focus heals and their hp doesn't go down, change target.
If the target is forced to use health potion, keep on with the assist - you should always assist on targets - because they apparently don't have enough heals and therefore used the potion.
When a tank goes low on hp, due to guard damage or because they are squishy - yes such tanks exist - finish them.
In general, quickly swap targets if you see someone with low hp.
Killing enemy dps first reduces pressure against your own team.
When your target detaunts you and his hp is stable, despite you beating them, swap target as well.
When an enemy healer is bad at positioning, you can always go for them. But usually healers have enough defensive tools to survive longer, especially if they get support, so going for healer first often does not work.
When you play sc, look on scoreboards and remember the "best" players on your team. When you see them again, assist on them.

Use addons like "Swift Assist" for doing so.
Dying is no option.

Caduceus

Post#4 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:38 am

These tactical ideas may seem a bit complicated, but you will develop this understanding intuitively as you play:

The real answer on what to prioritize lies in the question of how stable or unstable your party and the enemy's party is.

With "stable" I mean they are able to continue the fight for a long period (perhaps even indefinitely) without being wiped.

An "unstable" group will eventually wipe, thus is on a timer to force a decision.

A 2/2/2 group is an example of a group that tends to be stable. A group with 4 DPS and 2 healers tends to be unstable. Gear and player skill are also a factor of course.

In general terms:

Own Group Stable - Enemy Group Unstable -> Prioritize DPS to ensure stability and make the enemy run out of time.

Own Group Stable - Enemy Group Stable -> Prioritize DPS to ensure stability and create room for opportunities (Basic dynamic of 6v6)

Own Group Unstable - Enemy Group Unstable -> Prioritize Healers to prevent the enemy from buying more time.

Own Group Unstable - Enemy Group Stable -> Prioritize Healers to attempt to force a quick victory before own group runs out of time.

Never prioritize S&B tanks unless they are about to die. 2H tanks can sometimes be prioritized as part of a coordinated tactical surprise, especially when the target is relatively squishy as some 2H tanks tend to be.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

jshort

Post#5 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:40 am

Sulorie said most of the stuff. In scenarios you can watch out if you have a premade group on your team - if so you can assist their dps. In scenarios like nordenwatch or mourkain temple where fights usually stay around a certin spot this is very good. In scenarios where you are forced to split up to tap flags or play the objective the premade party usually stays in the fight and the pugs should play the objective. Black Fire Basin is a great example, here as a dps you can play the objective cause you have double sprint. And you are least important to hold mid.

GrishnakBlagtoof

Post#6 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:24 am

Kill the healers.
WAAAGH!!!
Grishnak Blagtoof
<The Blagtoof WarTribe>
Est. 1996

DirkDaring

Post#7 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:15 pm

Having played most of the classes in game, all thru live and here as well, what Sulorie says is still true.

A lot of tanks are lazy as well, I see it a lot whenever I`m on one of my non-tank classes, they will slap guard on a melee dps, ignore the ranged dps, and not swap guard to anyone else in the group, that is being focused.

As a dps this is actually helpful, as a lot of BW, and Sorc are not guarded as often as they were on live, and are easier targets a lot of the time. Idealy you want to focus squishy dps first, or overextended melee dps, punt tanks away, disable healers, or at least silence them while killing the dps, then take out the healers kill tanks last unless one is low hp, taking a lot of damage.

Assist on primary target, sadly a lot tab target, and do not assist to focus key targets,

Sadly a lot do target tanks, or tab target, and don`t assist to focus down primary targets. I`ve actually watched 4 people attacking a tank, and no one attacking the healer standing behind the tank, while the tank slowly was killing them lol.
Last edited by DirkDaring on Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

space44

Post#8 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:12 pm

so no one really say these things because they are too scared of the power they might unleash.

the top most priority targets are tanks, that would either be S/B chosen or S/B KOTBS then the next most important targets are those ranged SHs and SWs that you would commonly see in the distance out of the way from the fight.
Chosen: Roten Plaguelord rr86 | Knight of the Blazing Sun: Lyntyz Jesterknight rr63

I'm not a clown, I'm the whole circus.

Ads
Arthem

Post#9 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:44 am

You kill whatever you can. Don't waste time doing what you think you should be doing. Usually following others just leads to blind leading the blind. In this game unguarded DPS are the easiest to kill. So learn about guard icons and kill unguarded DPS. If a healer overextends kill them. If you try to just kill a healer you're most likely gonna die.

bichka

Post#10 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:29 pm

dont follow mindlesly to motto : kill healers first
in pair of dd healer and 2h tank, better to kill tank first, if he squishy

tanks haven't detaunt except M3, so loldps 2h tanks sometimes drops faster than enraged choppa
Spoiler:
also always kill ChineeseHero, if he still playing it,free renown ;)