Ads

How to get ROR population up.

Let's talk about... everything else
ChicagoJoe

Re: How to get ROR population up.

Post#171 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:50 pm

Sulorie wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:59 pm
xoonerfree wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:27 pm
I suspect these "staunchly against NB" folks are just afraid to go against/speak against the GMs
Why would someone be afraid to voice their opinion? People get banned for talking in a bad manner, not for going against a GM in a discussion.
Wargrimnir, lead GM and the Ban-Hammerer, is actually on record being against the NB ban and he was quite eloquent as to why, while keeping in confidence some of the internal discussions of the development team. If you stay respectful and provide real discussion he has been quite reasonable. The NB ban was likely a democratic process and he was one voice of many. I image an internal faction against NB for various reasons. My guess its use or perceived misuse in ranked.
primary IB 8X, EN8X, WP7X, SL7X, KOTBS6X, and a bunch of under rr60 toons on order and destro with other classes.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#172 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 pm

ChicagoJoe wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:50 pm
I suspect these "staunchly against NB" folks are just afraid to go against/speak against the GMs
Why would someone be afraid to voice their opinion? People get banned for talking in a bad manner, not for going against a GM in a discussion.
Wargrimnir, lead GM and the Ban-Hammerer, is actually on record being against the NB ban and he was quite eloquent as to why, while keeping in confidence some of the internal discussions of the development team. If you stay respectful and provide real discussion he has been quite reasonable. The NB ban was likely a democratic process and he was one voice of many. I image an internal faction against NB for various reasons. My guess its use or perceived misuse in ranked.
There was a time for public discourse and I took part in it like anyone else. I stand with the team on the decisions regarding NB.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

marisco

Post#173 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:10 pm

I think that much more than the whole NB debacle the main issue is the new (and longer) patch cycles.

I completely understand the idea that a larger time frame is better to collect data about balance but it has the unfortunate side effect of making the game seem stale.

There was an anticipation for friday patches just to see the weekly tweaks. The whole nerf/buff debates kept the community engaged and people logging to play the "flavor of the week". The whole perception that the recent patches have been lackluster might have driven people off.

Acidic

Post#174 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:15 pm

marisco wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:10 pm I think that much more than the whole NB debacle the main issue is the new (and longer) patch cycles.

I completely understand the idea that a larger time frame is better to collect data about balance but it has the unfortunate side effect of making the game seem stale.

There was an anticipation for friday patches just to see the weekly tweaks. The whole nerf/buff debates kept the community engaged and people logging to play the "flavor of the week". The whole perception that the recent patches have been lackluster might have driven people off.
Find it hard to believe that “stale” is a direct issue as the patch rate and volume of changes is quite impressive for any server let alone a volenteer team

I preferred the shorter cycle of patches for balance but if it helps the devs do more stuff and have better control over what they are doing we will get used to it

Fey

Post#175 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:53 pm

I've been participating in the DaoC Atlas beta, apologies for discussing another game. Delete if you must.

I think the history of DaoC free shards can be informative here. I won't get into it, but RoR is comparitively (never used that word) pretty long in the teeth. That's amazing, and awesome; and perhaps calls for a wipe and reset.

Outside of that I don't see many new players coming to play. Of course this would alienate the current player base, and drive away as many as it would bring.

A mature and committed player-base is the answer.

Once a player said, "What have you given us?"
A dev responded,
"A Warhammer Online game, if you can keep it."
Fley - Zealot Domoarigobbo - Shaman
Squid - Squig Squit - B.O.
Black Toof Clan

Alfa1986

Post#176 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:27 am

Anyway, we (the public) do not know how this decision was made, but clearly it was no democratic. most likely it was there as elsewhere, a small part was “for”, a small part was “against”, and the majority was “all the same”. it's just that the small part that was "for" had more weight and influence.
15th orks on a dead elf's chest
yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Darks63

Post#177 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:05 am

Lawmay wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 pm
ChicagoJoe wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:34 pm Please let’s focus on non-NB issues /suggestions here. There are enough of them.
If yes, NB needs to come back
If no, then enjoy it while it lasts, population loss in multiplayer games tends to compound on itself.

This isn't me trying to insult any devs or players, I'm simply trying to lay out the reality of the situation as best as I can.

Even if you feel the game is better without nb, is it "losing at least half the population with more to come" better? Thats the question that needs to be asked at this point, your answer is your own, but that is the current relevant question.
Sadly I think the horse has left the barn so to speak with NB. I dont think too many would come back if they unbanned it. Furthermore people who celebrated it demise would become disgruntled and leave. At best you get some back but some leave leading to a zero sum gain.

The big mistake in the NB removal was not having a alternative ready and working before it was done plus the abruptness of its banning.
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

Lawmay

Post#178 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:02 pm

Darks63 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:05 am
Lawmay wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 pm
ChicagoJoe wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:34 pm Please let’s focus on non-NB issues /suggestions here. There are enough of them.
If yes, NB needs to come back
If no, then enjoy it while it lasts, population loss in multiplayer games tends to compound on itself.

This isn't me trying to insult any devs or players, I'm simply trying to lay out the reality of the situation as best as I can.

Even if you feel the game is better without nb, is it "losing at least half the population with more to come" better? Thats the question that needs to be asked at this point, your answer is your own, but that is the current relevant question.
Sadly I think the horse has left the barn so to speak with NB. I dont think too many would come back if they unbanned it. Furthermore people who celebrated it demise would become disgruntled and leave. At best you get some back but some leave leading to a zero sum gain.

The big mistake in the NB removal was not having a alternative ready and working before it was done plus the abruptness of its banning.
Sadly, I think you might be correct. I know a fair few people would come back, my self included...but I think quite a few would leave as well in response because of the devs caving to "people crying about wanting to be able to cheat"...while at the same time bemoaning the low population. It may very well be a "you can't put the genie back in the bottle" situation, but its the best attempt I can think of to get the pop back up, or atleast stop it from dropping even further.

Ads
mogt

Post#179 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:24 pm

guys come down,you can use the sequencer, it wortks fine, the NB addon decide themselves which skill it be use, and this is the problem, the conditions are the problem. you can use sequenzer without conditions. all the players they cry NB was wrong, these are the players, that they know NB check the conditions and decide which skil can be use or skip and that is botting. very easy and conplety right. the NB Addon is a cheat in my eyes and if players cant play without the addon, then they must leave the game or learn to play the game themselve. this game is not hard. it is very easy to play, you as players must just read the skills and decide themselve, which skill you can use in which situation,, you need for this knowdlege and not a addon that decide this for the player. why the NB fanboys must lie, give a truth answer why the player used this addon, it is gone and dont come back, all the players can use the addon sequencer

xoonerfree
Suspended

Post#180 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:43 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 pm
There was a time for public discourse and I took part in it like anyone else. I stand with the team on the decisions regarding NB.
Let me understand your thinking. You accepted the majority opinion of your dev/GM peers on NB and the decision turned out to harm the game. Then you decided to stick with that bad decision even after a prolonged period of decreased population. OK.