Yes
27%
No
73%
Total votes: 209

diedrake

Re: Is guard too powerful?

Post#51 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:36 pm

guard is fine, and I play mainly tanks now a days and still after all these years see many tanks not use guard ability. Guard used to be way stronger then current itteration. Yes guard is strong in the premades and such, the "common" "casual player" or "new guy" needs to get over the fact that mechanics are there for a reason. Like many have stated, this isnt WoW, GW2, or any other of those more chilled games when it comes to pvp.

Tiz a group game, all these "solos" and whatnot refusing to make freinds in an mmo need to get over the fact that mechanics like "guard" is in play. Without guard, a tank is just a low hitting mob with a lot of hps and some cc. Would love to have more mmos addopt the 'guard' ability and make tanks actually useful in protecting thier team mates.

btw guard used to be at one point reduce 50% damage on guarded target while tank recieved 30% of that damage if not blocked, disrupted, or parried. So yes guard could be far worse then it is now.
Fenaal- SM 40/84
Fanaal- CH 40/7x

Ads
Akalukz

Post#52 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:38 pm

only 1 guard at a time would help quite a bit. That would put some truth in the punt/kill theory.
-= Agony =-

Battlefield

Post#53 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 pm

diedrake wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:36 pm guard is fine, and I play mainly tanks now a days and still after all these years see many tanks not use guard ability. Guard used to be way stronger then current itteration. Yes guard is strong in the premades and such, the "common" "casual player" or "new guy" needs to get over the fact that mechanics are there for a reason. Like many have stated, this isnt WoW, GW2, or any other of those more chilled games when it comes to pvp.

Tiz a group game, all these "solos" and whatnot refusing to make freinds in an mmo need to get over the fact that mechanics like "guard" is in play. Without guard, a tank is just a low hitting mob with a lot of hps and some cc. Would love to have more mmos addopt the 'guard' ability and make tanks actually useful in protecting thier team mates.

btw guard used to be at one point reduce 50% damage on guarded target while tank recieved 30% of that damage if not blocked, disrupted, or parried. So yes guard could be far worse then it is now.
Nobody say to remove it but Guard's damage reduction 50% should be at least lowered, instead distance can be increased a bit and no more crossguard between tanks.
Example 33% damage reduction and 45 ft or 25% damage reduction and 60ft

diedrake

Post#54 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:40 pm

Battlefield wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 pm
diedrake wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:36 pm guard is fine, and I play mainly tanks now a days and still after all these years see many tanks not use guard ability. Guard used to be way stronger then current itteration. Yes guard is strong in the premades and such, the "common" "casual player" or "new guy" needs to get over the fact that mechanics are there for a reason. Like many have stated, this isnt WoW, GW2, or any other of those more chilled games when it comes to pvp.

Nobody say to remove it but Guard's damage reduction 50% should be at least lowered, instead distance can be increased a bit and no more crossguard between tanks.
50/50 on paper is a lot as I just re read the guard ability. But as others have said, there are counters to the guard with the metric tons of ccs and such. Plus range of 30 ft is difficult to stick to if the enemy knows what they are doing. Also someone posted tanks shouldnt be able to x guard... ok... then healers shouldnt be able to heal themselves nor other healers by that statement. Wonder how fast both classes would deminish in combat in favor for a dps race... if the main reason for playing them are reduced to nothing or thrown out because x cant guard y because he is a tank that needs help for instance.
Fenaal- SM 40/84
Fanaal- CH 40/7x

Battlefield

Post#55 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:53 pm

diedrake wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:40 pm

50/50 on paper is a lot as I just re read the guard ability. But as others have said, there are counters to the guard with the metric tons of ccs and such. Plus range of 30 ft is difficult to stick to if the enemy knows what they are doing. Also someone posted tanks shouldnt be able to x guard... ok... then healers shouldnt be able to heal themselves nor other healers by that statement. Wonder how fast both classes would deminish in combat in favor for a dps race... if the main reason for playing them are reduced to nothing or thrown out because x cant guard y because he is a tank that needs help for instance.
about healers it's exaggeration and about cross tanks cause cross tanks can easy smash 3 dps without aftermath, it makes imbalance

Aethilmar

Post#56 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:24 pm

Battlefield wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:53 pm
diedrake wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:40 pm
about healers it's exaggeration and about cross tanks cause cross tanks can easy smash 3 dps without aftermath, it makes imbalance
Hahaha....and now we know what this is all about. Somebody died to cross-guarded tank duo.

Sorry DPS. Not everything in the world is your prey.

Grious

Post#57 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:38 pm

I don't really think guard is too OP as it is, but there are some changes I think would be interesting to see:

1) You need a shield to get the 50/50 guard, If you are using a 2h your guards effectiveness should be reduced (ex: 75/25)

2) Guard should have diminishing returns, first guard is 100% effective, second guard 50%, third etc...

Numbers are just examples showing what I mean, I think the change would mix things up enough while not ruining guard too much.

Battlefield

Post#58 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 pm

Grious wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:38 pm I don't really think guard is too OP as it is, but there are some changes I think would be interesting to see:

1) You need a shield to get the 50/50 guard, If you are using a 2h your guards effectiveness should be reduced (ex: 75/25)

2) Guard should have diminishing returns, first guard is 100% effective, second guard 50%, third etc...

Numbers are just examples showing what I mean, I think the change would mix things up enough while not ruining guard too much.
about 2h and 25% i agree

Ads
Arbich
Suspended

Post#59 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:46 pm

Grious wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:38 pm I don't really think guard is too OP as it is, but there are some changes I think would be interesting to see:

to 1) they did implement this for a few days here. There was a great uproar by all the tanks :D
It might be an interesting idea, but need a bigger rework of tanks in general probably. And in the end, guard works fine as it is. Why change something thats not broken? Usually you have enough tools available to deal with guard, you just have to use them correctly (so player issue, not balance issue)

to 2) dont know what you mean with this.
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

DokB

Post#60 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:20 am

Arbich wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:46 pm

There was a great uproar by all the tanks :D
I think you mean there was an uproar from most of the community, or at the very least from the people who have an intact frontal lobe who can recognise a garbage change when they see one. The change was as horrible as it was unjustified and gave every player a collective aneurysm whenever someone wanted to bring a 2h tank to any form of play, whether it was PvE or small scale PvP to 6v6, all the way to RvR (tl;dr It killed 2h spec which is already a niche spec). There was nothing to justify that decision then or even now and hopefully we will never have to revisit those days. It’s honestly a shame to see there are still players around today that think guard is too powerful or that 2h tank guard needs to be changed in anyway because <insert reason here because no one has EVER given a good enough reason which wasn’t rebutted>.

Nor do I get why people keep insisting on a tank rework. It’s only certain spec’s which under perform (namely SnB BG and Black Orc) but if you really want to find a fault with tanks, the best culprit would be m2 Distracting Bellow.
Zoggof - Black Orc
Doinks - Ironbreaker
Leatherman - Blackguard