Recent Topics

Ads

[Ranked]Let's fix ranked games before they die.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Fenris78

Re: [Ranked]Let's fix ranked games before they die.

Post#51 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:26 am

MonkeyHead wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:12 am The fix for ranked is finding out why MMR is based on group performance and not individual metrics. i could see grouped ranked being tied to Win Loss ratio... but why is Solo tied to a group-wide metric? its almost like it was designed to cause strife and toxic behavior. This also has a name "Collective punishment" It's punishing the entire group for one player's poor play. that's an abusive system (outlawed by the geneva convention no less). Solo ranked needs a Solo metric.
I agree but since I dont think you can get so much granularity in such metrics, that will be very hard to reward like that.

The best you can get (that I suggested on my previous posts) is a reward based on the time spent fighting, and time of kill(s), to determine the general behavior of players throughout the whole match, instead of just got retributed by the final outcome wich generally is not very representative of the "good" or "bad" play.

You also gat use the amount of damage/heal/protection, but it's not very accurate either (ou can get vast amounts of damage using fluff AoE for example, wich will not be very helpful for kill).

Ads
Toshutkidup

Post#52 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:09 am

Why the hostility regarding ranked? If you don’t like the content, don’t do it. No one is forcing anyone to do it, it’s not required. And the people that enjoy it, let them enjoy it. I don’t wanna hear you need it because BIS this or that..
First RR90 Slayer working towards the top of the mountain.I still solo, still run riposte.

Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/toshutkidup
My Youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/Toshutkidup

ufthakk
Suspended

Post#53 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:33 am

Toshutkidup wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:09 am Why the hostility regarding ranked? If you don’t like the content, don’t do it. No one is forcing anyone to do it, it’s not required. And the people that enjoy it, let them enjoy it. I don’t wanna hear you need it because BIS this or that..
Cause the continuously improving content to death, i stopped doing the entire RoR content and waiting for a more pragmatic approach.
In which u can hopefully give feedback without being treat like the enemy.

ElChota

Post#54 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:17 am

hello one question. WH and WE are the same or mirror each other? because i think that the WHis all powerful and the WE is all nerfed, it cannot be that the skills of the branch raises, nor do i see clear why the WH and WE do not see well that WE have goodskills in different branches and those of WH are in only one

ElChota

Post#55 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:31 am

it cannot be that the witches order has everything powerful and the witch destru has nothing

BeautfulToad

Post#56 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Toshutkidup wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:09 am Why the hostility regarding ranked?
A few people have posted stuff up. Here's a summary of main points that I could understand;
  • MMR system encourages you to stop playing
  • MMR systems mean everyone suffers not just the rr40 full conq player who absent-mindedly joined a 6V6 ranked game full of 80+ sovereign dudes chatting on discord when he clicked "join all SCs"
  • Bracketing doesn't work in the current format
  • While all classes can theoretically compete, the structure of ranked games broadly caters for niche classes that excel at 6v6, making certain classes undesirable
  • Population, discord, game type and MMR brackets means it is effectively group play mode and not a solo play mode

I kind of agree with you, I actually think Ranked Solo may encourage endgame players away from pug scenarios, I just think some of the features from ranked solo should be applied to other game modes besides 6v6.

siglade

Post#57 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:32 pm

ElChota wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:17 am hello one question. WH and WE are the same or mirror each other? because i think that the WHis all powerful and the WE is all nerfed, it cannot be that the skills of the branch raises, nor do i see clear why the WH and WE do not see well that WE have goodskills in different branches and those of WH are in only one
ElChota wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:31 am it cannot be that the witches order has everything powerful and the witch destru has nothing
WE need a mirror of excommunicate to make WE great again
bachata, excommunicate abuser

BluIzLucky

Post#58 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:37 am

Spoiler:
wargrimnir wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:28 am
Strakar wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:54 am Based on Wargrimnir's response it seems this is just intended to be super hardcore elite mode and everyone else is a bunch of whiners. We'll see where it ends up, some of the ideas seem promising to improve interest though for the average player.

I'm in the same camp as several posters, bumping along at or near 0 MMR and getting tired of it. Can't even play except rare weekends as an NA player anyway. The gear isn't good enough to grind unless you can get the ring, which is unattainable to most. Once the fodder is gone then the remaining players can get a few competitive matches against each other, unless the rumors of people just playing the winning side is true then they won't be interested in that either. That's probably the reality otherwise more people would be playing group ranked.
If people are playing the winning side to grind for a piece of gear, they shouldn't be playing this mode anyway. The gear was to attract some people in and see if they enjoy the mode. If it's bad, they don't like it, and they were only doing it for the gear grind, then the quality of the matches would be poor either way. I just take issue with saying players are being punished for not being rewarded when they lose. The mindset that you always need to be winning something isn't one I've ever bought into. I very much believe in doing compelling content for the sake of content, rather than developing with a big enough carrot people will grind though anything you throw at them.
Tldr: remove insignias from ring, use only for cosmetics.

Pre-season 2 I played mainly to improve myself, it's fun and there's a handful of pieces I could use while getting to sov.

While I did want to win, i didn't care about mmr, losing was just a lesson to improve on.

Now with the rings added I cannot think of a single build for AM or SM where ranked gear mix is not BIS.. and sometimes by a fair margin..
Toshutkidup wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:09 am I don’t wanna hear you need it because BIS this or that..
Progression is the core of 99% of games and asides from getting to r80, the only other thing in RoR is getting BIS gear..

And with BIS being tied to +1k MMR things have changed for me in ranked, I still do enjoy it since next to organised 24 v 24 city; ranked is the most fun..

but.. now..

Losing because you got queued with somebody who "joined all" and starts running solo to pick up the flag.. Is not funny anymore.

Losing MMR because you missed queue pop, has gone from "damn I have to wait another hour.." to "now I have to win more to make up for the loss.. on top of the waiting".

Getting matched with bad or under-geared players has gone from "let me chat with them after and if it's the gear I'll tell to try a different set or not queue until they have better, if it's the player skill I'll let them know what I think they can improve on (in a friendly way)" to "unless there's 3-4 others of his class type already in queue, I guess I'm done with ranked for now."

As a result we now also have the concept of assassins and targeted towards specific players, behavior which in other games might get you banned (even if it is just for jokes and laughs).

As someone with no ranked games going on 80-90% of my playable hours, I get to play 1-4 games a day, this was enough to play both my main classes and get 100 emblems from weekly reward.
Now.. if I want the rings (which I do) I basically have to play one alt all season and maybe longer.

Lastly experimenting, I jumped in ranked blind and spend the first 40 games figuring out basics of ranked and trying a lot of different builds and gear, and I still would like to do that, but.. now.. I don't want to waste games on losses unless I've already given up on getting 1k MMR and it would still screw others over.
This also results in increased hostility towards new players as nothing can really prepare you for ranked and it is often very obvious who caused the loss.

Solutions:
1. The MMR matching system is doing fine, and will given time reflect player's skill, trying to do impossibly complicated individual performance rating will be counterproductive. Any changes need to be external to this mechanic.

2. To incentive playing your best but not to foremost play to gain MMR (I.e. queue stacking), for rings remove either the insignia requirement all together or at least the need for +1k mmr, you can keep it for cosmetics.
There's enough incentives to play your best, 4 times the emblems for winning, weekly and season rewards and of course the honor, having hard restrictions is.. counterproductive to getting the best matched games possible.

3. If there's any on going games, do not start a new game until 1-2 minutes after the current one(s) finished. Then give some priority to mixing players who haven't played together last game.

4. If certain classes are so weak that you put in restrictions (i.e. no 2x BO/SM, no dps Zealot/RP) maybe prioritise them for balance tweaks (not complete overhauls) or.. just don't let any class have 2x as a soft restriction, this will even out very strong classes as well.

5. forgot to add.. No bloody MMR loss for missing queue pop :evil:
Last edited by BluIzLucky on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Ads
pvprangergod
Suspended

Post#59 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:37 am

Solution:
1. Delete ranked

BluIzLucky

Post#60 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:55 am

pvprangergod wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:37 am Solution:
1. Delete ranked
if you are struggling with ranked so much that you just want it gone, maybe don't call yourself a pvp god? :lol:
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70