Recent Topics

Ads

RoR Addons: Version controlled addon repositories

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
txtsd

Re: RoR Addons: Version controlled addon repositories

Post#11 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:12 pm

Satius wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 pm
txtsd wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:43 pm
Satius wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:36 pm Hey!
Good idea.
But I see in your subprojects existed files .gitattribute and .gitignore. It's needed to be deleted.
And I'm not sure that splired directories for one moduled addon is right, like for Warboard.
Those dot files are there for a reason. .gitignore ignores zip files in the directory for when I download and unzip files. And the .gitattribute makes sure files with CRLF line endings are not converted to LF, since I use linux.
Are you saying you don't want addons like Warboard to be split into multiple addons? It /is/ my intention to split them with the idea that if their dependencies are listed correctly, they'll get pulled by an addon downloading client with no extra work needed from the user.
It's just my thought about WarBoard , as I would made. Your option is also appropriate.
About dot files, as I know you can use it from other directory and don't put into addons folder. And other reason - it doesn't needed in all folders, for ex. Queuequeuer - no .zip, no CRLF.
They are not folders, they are separate repos, so they each need one. zips are not in any repo literally because the .gitignore ignores them. Or they would've been pushed from my end. And CRLF is not a problem until you make a file on linux and have a windows person view it. To them it looks like a single file line. I prefer LF, but I don't want to inconvenience windows devs because of my preferences.

Ads
DR4296

Post#12 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Well, I for one think this is a fantastic idea! Kudos to you for taking this on.

I had a bug last week that was traced to the fact that the Idrinth site does NOT have the latest version of a particular add-on (which WAS available here in the Addon forum). So, I feel like I can no longer trust that site to be up-to-date.

Plus, it's just the right thing to do, from a coder's perspective and for the sake of helping to encourage add-on development and promote the game.

pieterisme

Post#13 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 am

Why not use curseforge.com again for add-on repository??, they are moving away from twitch soon to make a complete add-on based client. This would make version control and mod installation/updates a lot easier.

tristess

Post#14 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:36 pm

I think that going an open-source route is the right thing for RoR addons. I've seen that there is an open merge request. What is the strategy here? Are you merging all the stuff?
Tristess Sterntaenzer - mother of the dancing star - zealot
Kahzog Rippenbrecher - black orc

Idrinth
Addon Developer

Post#15 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Dwarni wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:02 pmBut an alternative to the tools page would also be nice, the website seems "a little bit" outdated, also the java client...
Both created quickly to provide what was needed and then I lacked to time to clean that up. You're welcome to contribute to the client, planned to make it easier to do by moving to javafx for example. https://github.com/Idrinth/WARAddonClient

Regarding the website, that would need a complete rewrite by now, obviously also not up to my current standards, but also build in a way, that by now makes changes hard. I should have time off early next year, might tackle the website then and/or figure out how to put it on github without spreading secrets :D
DR4296 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:10 pmI had a bug last week that was traced to the fact that the Idrinth site does NOT have the latest version of a particular add-on (which WAS available here in the Addon forum). So, I feel like I can no longer trust that site to be up-to-date.
The site never hat the claim of being up-tpo-date, that always depended on authors(or others) uploading. It's pretty much the same with the gitlab-repositories
Addons&more Addon News&Creation&Testing Addon News Blog
  • Idrinth - Swordmaster
  • Alitsa - Knight of the Blazing Sun
  • Alitza - Warrior Priestess
  • Idrynth - Disciple of Khaine

Dwarni

Post#16 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:06 am

Idrinth wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 pm Both created quickly to provide what was needed and then I lacked to time to clean that up. You're welcome to contribute to the client, planned to make it easier to do by moving to javafx for example. https://github.com/Idrinth/WARAddonClient
And you put a lot of work into it and I saw that so far nobody else has contributed to the client. It wasn't meant to attack you in any way just that there could be some room for improvement ;).

I already looked into the source code ((I already forked it) and I think moving to javaFX would mean probably a 100% rewrite of the client, I personally don't like java very much anymore (mostly due to Oracle) so I started developing an own client in electron (but this turned out a big mess....) now I am doing quite fine with Qt.

The advantage of Qt is that it doesn't require java anymore (a lot of users don't have it installed anymore). But maybe we can talk about all that via discord or via another method in our native language ;).
Idrinth wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 pm Regarding the website, that would need a complete rewrite by now, obviously also not up to my current standards, but also build in a way, that by now makes changes hard. I should have time off early next year, might tackle the website then and/or figure out how to put it on github without spreading secrets :D
I use .env files for all secret information and add it to .gitignore. Maybe it would also be best to split the addon functionality from the rest of your website?

Idrinth
Addon Developer

Post#17 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:58 am

Dwarni wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:06 am
Idrinth wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 pm Both created quickly to provide what was needed and then I lacked to time to clean that up. You're welcome to contribute to the client, planned to make it easier to do by moving to javafx for example. https://github.com/Idrinth/WARAddonClient
And you put a lot of work into it and I saw that so far nobody else has contributed to the client. It wasn't meant to attack you in any way just that there could be some room for improvement ;).

I already looked into the source code ((I already forked it) and I think moving to javaFX would mean probably a 100% rewrite of the client, I personally don't like java very much anymore (mostly due to Oracle) so I started developing an own client in electron (but this turned out a big mess....) now I am doing quite fine with Qt.

The advantage of Qt is that it doesn't require java anymore (a lot of users don't have it installed anymore). But maybe we can talk about all that via discord or via another method in our native language ;).
Name is the same in my case on discord, I'm happy to help in any way I can :)
Dwarni wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:06 am
Idrinth wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 pm Regarding the website, that would need a complete rewrite by now, obviously also not up to my current standards, but also build in a way, that by now makes changes hard. I should have time off early next year, might tackle the website then and/or figure out how to put it on github without spreading secrets :D
I use .env files for all secret information and add it to .gitignore. Maybe it would also be best to split the addon functionality from the rest of your website?
Using the environment is an option I'm likely not going to move towards - would do that in a docker environment, but the php-site is not running on one.
Addons&more Addon News&Creation&Testing Addon News Blog
  • Idrinth - Swordmaster
  • Alitsa - Knight of the Blazing Sun
  • Alitza - Warrior Priestess
  • Idrynth - Disciple of Khaine

kaloel

Post#18 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:51 pm

Depending on what is used to store the addons in the end (i.e. gitlab/ github) and the website is only to display it, I think github pages is great to do that.
Also, github actions can be used for free to generate zips of the addons (wherever sourced) to download.
Meaning everything could be open source, with no secret keys or cost associated.
Just a suggestion though. And it only works if merge requests actually get merged at some point.

Ads