Recent Topics

Ads

Slowed down animations and FPS drops

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Jaffawer

Slowed down animations and FPS drops

Post#1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:37 pm

I recently logged back into the game after a break and noticed something weird happening, that I have not seen before.

When I log in to the game for the first time, everything runs ok, but once I log-off into the character select menu, all the character animations (the flourish ones that play when you select a charater) are in slow-motion, and then when I enter the game again, I have big frequent stutters and FPS drops.

I'm not really sure what's going on, but it did not happen to me the last time I was playing the game (about 6 months ago) and I didn't change anything on my computer. I also tried changing the game's graphic settings but with no effect.
Archmage - Ealleas Silverscroll, rr80+
Swordmaster - Eallethril Goldwing, rr60+
White Lion - Koranthir Swiftstrider, WIP

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Re: Slowed down animations and FPS drops

Post#2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:02 am

try capping your framerates?
when you log out to the character screen the framerates go 500+ for me.. maybe that makes your animations go nuts.. haven't noticed this myself though.

but animations are busted when fps goes over 100 fps in game..so try some tools to cap it to 100 and see if that fixes the issue for you..
im using linux so i dunno what tools are available for framerate capping in windows.. google is your friend i guess
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Jaffawer

Post#3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Gonna see what I can find, thanks. I wonder why is it happening now, when I didn't have any issue like this the last time I played.

Jaffawer

Post#4 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:52 pm

So back to this issue again... it seems that limiting game FPS had no effect. Still, after a few minutes ingame I start experiencing stuttering. At first it is barely noticable, but it gets worse quite fast to the point where I have one-second stutter every half a second and the game is unplayable.

It's really frustrating because I have no idea why is this happening. I made do changes to the game or my PC build since May (The last time I was playing RoR and everything was fine). So there is literally nothing that could cause the game getting worse...

Akalukz

Post#5 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 pm

check addons make sure one isn't causing major issues, check for updates on addons etc. Also try deleting whats in your cache folder
-= Agony =-

Jaffawer

Post#6 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:52 pm

Ye I just deleted the cache folder, but that didn't help. Gonna check my addons now.
I've also noticed that /rel helps to clear the stuttering, but that's only temporary as the game starts to degrade again in a couple of minutes.

Jaffawer

Post#7 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:30 pm

Akalukz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 pm check addons make sure one isn't causing major issues, check for updates on addons etc. Also try deleting whats in your cache folder
So I disabled all addons and it seems like it did help to some extent. There still is some minor stuttering and fps drops but it's not at all as bad as it was before. Also I noticed that when the stuttering starts to happen, the game taxes my CPU up to 96, maybe even 99%. Any idea what may be causing this?

Sulorie

Post#8 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:52 am

This doesn't sound like something with the game.
Dying is no option.

Ads
Akalukz

Post#9 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 am

Jaffawer wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:30 pm
Akalukz wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 pm check addons make sure one isn't causing major issues, check for updates on addons etc. Also try deleting whats in your cache folder
So I disabled all addons and it seems like it did help to some extent. There still is some minor stuttering and fps drops but it's not at all as bad as it was before. Also I noticed that when the stuttering starts to happen, the game taxes my CPU up to 96, maybe even 99%. Any idea what may be causing this?
laptop or pc? I had similar issues with my old laptop. Ran the Razer Cortex game booster (which basically juices to power and kills processes) and made a huge huge difference.
-= Agony =-

Jaffawer

Post#10 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:25 am

Desktop PC. I still don't understand why could this be happening. I have literally the same setup HW and SW-wise since the last time I played RoR.