Recent Topics

Ads

Making auras active abilities

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
MoltenCoreMoshpit

Re: Making auras active abilities

Post#31 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:06 am

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:10 pm
MoltenCoreMoshpit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 am We really don't need to start aura twisting again, let the active auras die.
Passive auras should not be overshadowing every other ability in the game then, right?
Sure that's fair man I just don't want to have to run that goofy auratwisting addon like the old days

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#32 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 am

MoltenCoreMoshpit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:06 am
MoltenCoreMoshpit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 am We really don't need to start aura twisting again, let the active auras die.
Passive auras should not be overshadowing every other ability in the game then, right?
Sure that's fair man I just don't want to have to run that goofy auratwisting addon like the old days
I don't think anyone wants that back. It's already a boring mechanic, it doesn't need to cause arthritis too.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

MoltenCoreMoshpit

Post#33 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:21 am

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 am

I don't think anyone wants that back. It's already a boring mechanic, it doesn't need to cause arthritis too.
Glad you agree friend

anarchypark

Post#34 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:22 pm

chosen aura activation effects are really cool.
just to see more of it, I would make it channeling, like WP martyr's blessing.

while channeling same effect as aura.
you can't move but become rally point - go to that towering brute and you get buffs, stat steal and they build up mechanic point.
then use mechanic point for active skills.
big aoe punt or moving aura( same as now ) for certain duration.
or heal(?!) or CC immune, be creative.
It could be making blob problem worse but standing still pointing at enemy looks cool on the battle field.
maybe even size increase while channeling.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

zulnam

Post#35 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:29 pm

RoR, like any pvp game, is not just about skills but mobility and positioning. Turning chosen/knight into stationary pylons sounds terrible. If you've been in organised cities you heard 'spread out' at least once. Not to mention the difficulties that would come with having your main class abilities stationary and your main role abilities (guard, htl) mobile.

They would move from 'best meta tanks' to 'keeping the magi/engis company in pug cities' in a heartbeat.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

CountTalabecland

Post#36 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Knight/Chosen are already boring to play. I got my Knight to 40 and said meh. You are so incredibly tanky since passives (auras and tactics) cover disrupt, resistance, AP, and toughness (plus Runefang) to the point where my Knight is Ruin is just about as tanky as my IB in vanq. These are all things that other tanks have to make big decisions on for stat management that Knight gets for free, hell even its armor buff is instant and doesnt require melee.

Knight/Chosen has no mechanic to speak of and aura twisting is just busy work. A resource mechanic was attempted and removed it would seem. The auras themselves aren't all that strong in a grp v grp sense except for where Focused Mending and AP are concerned as those are way more powerful than a flat 180 toughness or whatever.

I think that things like Focused Mending or any Aura involving AP, crit, or heal buffs should be a stance/resource sort of extra ability that auras get rather than flat tactics/extra auras from the trees. Kind of like Slayer/Choppa, combat should = stronger buffs. Maybe Knight/Chosen mechanic should be tied to taking damage or guard damage to encourage getting stuck in. There should be an opportunity cost tied to this like you have to pick a certain extra buff/stat increase per combat.

Any change to their "mechanic" need to be tied to a management system that incentivizes them to do things, not just a buffbot but now you need to type.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

PlagueMonk

Post#37 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:22 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 am

Oh yeah, I now vaguely recall reading about aura twisting on live and the reason WHY I chose never to play one. :P

So instead of bringing back something that can be defeated again with a silly addon, how about toning down the passive abilities a bit, allow them to work in tandem with other class abilities instead of overwrite and give the other tanks some active group abilities?

I've only played the IB so that's all I can comment on but.....what if you allow Guarded Attack, Inspiring Attack and Vengeful Strike to affect all groupmates instead of just the Oath Friend? The limiting factor would be the IB has to hit things to keep it going and the distance will still be only 50' compared with the KotBS's 100'.

detrap

Post#38 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:07 pm

Just remove the cooldown on cancelling and switching auras.
Knight 8x - IB 8x - SM 8x / Chosen 3x - BO 4x - BG 5x

Ads
synthrocker

Post#39 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:12 pm

That whole idea is stupid. If the problem is the stats overpower other debuffs, work on the stats not the mechanic.

This game has been out for years, people know what they’re getting. A knight is only as boring as you make it, a “mechanic” change isn’t going to do anything, and serves to make people leave. A knight is a good playstyle for the casual. There are many other classes that have mechanics they can go play, including other tanks. There’s many things a knight can do besides working in a “mechanic” a following buff bot is meh.

If you really want a mechanic back bring back twisting. A good twisting knight could get off 4 auras if they didn’t rely on twister.

Terrible idea for the sake of “skill” or “action” the games been out long enough you know what you’re getting with a knight.
Birthday Massacre - Knight
Stunt Man - Witch Hunter
Wrx Sti - gimp slayer/butcher farmer
Ralliart Evolution - Real gimp Bright Wizard

Sybreal

Post#40 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:45 pm

The Knight/Chosen auras used to be active abilities on live. People just used an addon to "stance dance" them since why would I want to have half my brain focused on cycling auras? Either the mod will have the same effect (auras always on/cycling) or people will stop playing Knight/chosen because now instead of focusing on peeling/guarding/being a nuisance, they have to stance dance as well.