Recent Topics

Ads

[Knight/Chosen] Aura Rework

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
M0rw47h

[Knight/Chosen] Aura Rework

Post#1 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:57 pm

Since KotBS/CH mechanic is kinda fire and forget, so maybe its slowly time to think how to change that?
While I understand, its not top priority currently... Personaly, I would like to see them as temporary AoE buffs/debuffs, called bellow Battle Commands.

Idea:
  • Effect of Aura tied to temporary ability;
  • Battle Commands should have longer cooldown than uptime, but stronger effect than currently;
  • Battle Commands could affect all allies within 30 ft KotBS/CH or his defensive target (for positive effect) and all enemies within 30 of his offensive target (100 ft range), but it could vary.
So, what would we achieve this way?
  • No more fire and forget;
  • Requires tactical use, rather than use on CD;
  • Since could be used out of party, KotBS/CH wouldn't be "required" for each group;
  • Since could be used out of party, Battle Commands could be coordinated and rotated for greater benefit like Challenges or Distracting Bellows.
Thoughts?

Ads
Zxul

Re: [Knight/Chosen] Aura Rework

Post#2 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:02 pm

M0rw47h wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:57 pm Thoughts?
1. Why do you hate chosen/kotb?
2. Quite a few auras (kotb melee thorns vs destro melee deathball, chosen magic thorns vs bw spam), especially if empowered even if for a short time, will be incredibly overpowered if affecting all in 30 f and not just team. Just ask engies, who got their Napalm (+magus Mist) nerfed, after reacting to chosen Dire Shielding tactic being fixed, causing it to work in exactly the way which you suggested for auras.
3. Does 100 f, and affecting all around offensive target, includes the dmg aura?
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Zorinxus

Post#3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Zxul wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:02 pm
M0rw47h wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:57 pm Thoughts?
1. Why do you hate chosen/kotb?
2. Quite a few auras (kotb melee thorns vs destro melee deathball, chosen magic thorns vs bw spam), especially if empowered even if for a short time, will be incredibly overpowered if affecting all in 30 f and not just team. Just ask engies, who got their Napalm (+magus Mist) nerfed, after reacting to chosen Dire Shielding tactic being fixed, causing it to work in exactly the way which you suggested for auras.
3. Does 100 f, and affecting all around offensive target, includes the dmg aura?
this^
the auras are what pull me and a lot of others to Knight/chosen. the "fire and forget" allows room for more effective taunts, challenges and other forms of focused CC. the more on their plate = less appeal for tanks to be played.

Foofmonger

Post#4 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 pm

M0rw47h wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:57 pm Since KotBS/CH mechanic is kinda fire and forget, so maybe its slowly time to think how to change that?
While I understand, its not top priority currently... Personaly, I would like to see them as temporary AoE buffs/debuffs, called bellow Battle Commands.

Idea:
  • Battle Commands should have longer cooldown than uptime, but stronger effect than currently;
  • Battle Commands could affect all allies within 30 ft KotBS/CH or his defensive target (for positive effect) and all enemies within 30 of his offensive target (100 ft range), but it could vary.
  • Since could be used out of party, KotBS/CH wouldn't be "required" for each group;
  • Since could be used out of party, Battle Commands could be coordinated and rotated for greater benefit like Challenges or Distracting Bellows.
Thoughts?
Why not just do something like:

Nerf all KOTBS/Chosen Aura values by a small amount.

Allow them to "empower" the Aura by hitting it again when its up (with a cooldown). When they empower the Aura, it makes it stronger.

So example,

Lets say we have 100 toughenss buff/debuff aura. Nerf it down to 80 (20% nerf), then, for X seconds when you "empower it" it it buffs/debuffs by 150 (50% increase).
'
This would make auras "slightly" worse as fire and forgets, but make them stronger when empowered, allowing the Chosen/KotBS to use their auras in situational contexts. Lets say you are about to get bombed, you use the empower toughness aura ability to give an extra 70 toughness to your group to increase the amount they mitigate, and so on and so forth.
Last edited by Foofmonger on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neviirien

Post#5 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 pm
M0rw47h wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:57 pm Since KotBS/CH mechanic is kinda fire and forget, so maybe its slowly time to think how to change that?

Idea:
Thoughts?

Allow them to "empower" the Aura by hitting it again when its up (with a cooldown). When they empower the Aura, it makes it stronger.

So example,

Lets say we have 100 toughenss buff/debuff aura. Nerf it down to 80 (20% nerf), then, for X seconds when you "empower it" it it buffs/debuffs by 150 (50% increase).
'
This would make auras "slightly" worse as fire and forgets, but make them stronger when empowered, allowing the Chosen/KotBS to use their auras in situational contexts. Lets say you are about to get bombed, you use the empower toughness aura ability to give an extra 70 toughness to your group to increase the amount they mitigate, and so on and so forth.
Would this even work within the framework of the game? Hitting the aura a second time would just deactivate it, yeah?
Neviirien. Blackguard. Badlands Server. Originally from Magnus.

Foofmonger

Post#6 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:30 pm

neviirien wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Idea:
Thoughts?

So example,

'
Would this even work within the framework of the game? Hitting the aura a second time would just deactivate it, yeah?
I don't know how the code/architecture works, nor of the workarounds, so not sure. Just coming up with an idea. You may have to actually create like a secondary abilities called "Empowered Aura of XYZ" or something.

Zorinxus

Post#7 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:30 pm

So example,

'
I don't know how the code/architecture works, nor of the workarounds, so not sure. Just coming up with an idea. You may have to actually create like a secondary abilities called "Empowered Aura of XYZ" or something.
respectively, here is an idea:

if its not broken, don't fix it.

there are many other areas to work around balancing in this game. this is just frivolous nitpicking.

Foofmonger

Post#8 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Zorinxus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 pm

there are many other areas to work around balancing in this game. this is just frivolous nitpicking.
We cleared this up and Zorinxus was replying to the OP, and not me.
Last edited by Foofmonger on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Zorinxus

Post#9 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:45 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:35 pm
Zorinxus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 pm

I literally suggested buffing the auras and making them more interactive. Thanks for your opinion on a random idea in a topic I didn't even make the OP of.

I get that the concept of ideation is hard for some people though. However some of us like to think about the possibilities of how things "could be". Your opinion is noted, thanks!
I hope you understand this wasn't an attack or whatever. I'm just saying that this would be some hardcore reworking and would change a lot of things about how these toons are played. I'm speaking personally that the auras are the reason why i chose KOTBS to play and main. The auras are always up and gives me purpose in a party/warband other than a guard/challenge bot that is hard to kill. that way other forms of CC in the kit can be focused on.

I AM glad that knight/chosen hasn't been totally forgotten about though
I have deleted this game. I'm not about to torture myself playing whiny people and completely imbalanced classes/realms. I also do not want to be met with condescending and rude replies from a certain head Gamemaster while reading this forum.

Zxul

Post#10 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:10 pm

To speak of- from having both chosen and bg, bg isn't actually more complicated to play- on chosen I actually have to make more tactical decisions- bg is just more annoying. You are not actually deciding on bg in each fight which debuffs exactly are you going to apply, you apply most of them in same 12345 order, its just that instead of the process being automatic you have to press that 12345 each fight, while also juggling Dark Protector.

Thats while on chosen you do actually have to make tactical decisions mid fight- do I want to keep this aura up, or do I want to replace is with this one cause of X and Y, do I want to use Ravage vs this toon (lower ap cost) or Cleave (higher ap cost but need it since he seems to have too much parry), do I want to use combination of ap aura drain and Withering Blow vs this toon to put pressure/to lower his dps, or do I need a different approach, is it a good moment to hit the targets with Quake, or will it give free immunities without good tradeoff, ets.

Chosen being low skill class is a myth, it does has a low skill floor (buff bot) but actually high skill ceiling.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh