Recent Topics

Ads

How much does toughness matter, really?

Let's talk about... everything else
Illuminati

Re: How much does toughness matter, really?

Post#11 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:45 pm

Grock wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:38 pm
Illuminati wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:20 pm When I tested it, toughness capped 75% of damage (to not reduce dots to 0).
Thats what the old info suggests.

From what i know at some point there was a change that "uncapped" toughness so it could reduce incoming damage past the attacker's primary stat, so tank with 200strength hitting a tank with 1000 toughness essentially had strength in the negatives at -800
This was done to make toughness more effective stat and to make it work on abilities that don't have primary stat bonus

This led to tanks hitting targets for 1 damage
And in turn, to prevent that the 75% cap was introduced

But i am pretty sure the "uncapping" has since been reverted, leaving a lot of ambiguity about the "75% cap"
Yep. Seems like they changed the order of when Evasion, Toughness, Absorb, Crit happen and perhaps made it so the Toughness reduction occurs vs the entire dot damage is calculated. Anyway, some dev clarification would be appreciated.
————————————————
Destro: Killamanjaro (80+ Choppa) / Killamanjaroo (70+ DoK) / Unsworn (70+ Chosen) / Illuminatii (60+ Blackguard) / Killaman (80+ Squig)
Order: ?

Bugs reported: 6

Ads
Foofmonger

Post#12 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Grock wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:38 pm
Illuminati wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:20 pm When I tested it, toughness capped 75% of damage (to not reduce dots to 0).
Thats what the old info suggests.

From what i know at some point there was a change that "uncapped" toughness so it could reduce incoming damage past the attacker's primary stat, so tank with 200strength hitting a tank with 1000 toughness essentially had strength in the negatives at -800
This was done to make toughness more effective stat and to make it work on abilities that don't have primary stat bonus

This led to tanks hitting targets for 1 damage
And in turn, to prevent that the 75% cap was introduced

But i am pretty sure the "uncapping" has since been reverted, leaving a lot of ambiguity about the "75% cap"
I vaguely remember this from the very early days of live. I think you may be correct, but memory is fallible.

Celyt

Post#13 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Often wonder if Fortitude will be added the the game again

Tom

Post#14 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:25 pm

Grock wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:03 pm Also if an ability/attack does not benefit from primary stat bonus (str/int/bs) then it will also not be negated by Toughness
I have noticed toughness wasn't reducing certain dmg but when asking in /Advice nobody would ever answer my question on this. If what you say is true then that explains all of that. Is this a change? I thought toughness used mitigate ANY type of dmg? Or was I simply living in a fictious bubble of my mind's making?

Grock

Post#15 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:59 pm

Tom wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:25 pm
Grock wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:03 pm Also if an ability/attack does not benefit from primary stat bonus (str/int/bs) then it will also not be negated by Toughness
I have noticed toughness wasn't reducing certain dmg but when asking in /Advice nobody would ever answer my question on this. If what you say is true then that explains all of that. Is this a change? I thought toughness used mitigate ANY type of dmg? Or was I simply living in a fictious bubble of my mind's making?
Its just a question whether the ability or attack has bonus modifier from stats or not, in this regard Toughness is in the same boat of "stat bonuses" as Str/Int/Bs, but just has negative value instead

At least thats how i understand it or how it should be, without knowledge of source code

However i've done some testing not too long ago and the results were a bit strange, with some abilities getting more penalty frm Toughness than a bonus from equal amount of Strenth, and vice verse for some other skills, so there's definitely some **** going on
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

dalen
Developer

Post#16 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Grock wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:05 pm
dalen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am
jvlosky wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:14 am Anyone got any math on the subject? I have also heard it doesn't matter for pve?
Increasing your toughness by 100 is more or less the same as decreasing your opponents offensive stat (str/int/bs) by 100.

The calculations in PvE are exactly the same as in RvR. But sure, some bosses abilities have a large base damage and not as much stat scaling, so then increased toughness doesn't lower it by that much. But it does lower damage taken in PvE as well.
Can somone use their magical dev powers, check source, and clear up the uncertainty about "75% toughness cap"?
Is it applied to stats as most people beleive, i.e. toughness can't reduce enemy primary stat by more than 75%
Or is it applied to total damage of the attack?

Can Toughness still reduce attack's damage past the attacker's stat bonus (which was the source for 75% cap fix) or has this change been reverted at some point?
Is 75% cap still in place even?
75% cap is still there. So if your opponents main stat is 1050, toughness mitigates 1:1 up to 787 toughness, and after that it is wasted.
Source Developer

siflisk

Post#17 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:43 pm

dalen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:50 pm
75% cap is still there. So if your opponents main stat is 1050, toughness mitigates 1:1 up to 787 toughness, and after that it is wasted.
So weapon DPS and ability base damage are not included?

I always assumed that they were included.

Example:
500 Strength
80 DPS weapon
100 ability base DPS

vs

1000 Toughness

280 dps - 200 dps = 80 dps
25% of 280 dps = 70 dps
Toughness is 100% effective.

If its only Strength vs Toughness then toughness has a 787 fairly solid hard cap.

Grock

Post#18 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 pm

dalen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:50 pm 75% cap is still there. So if your opponents main stat is 1050, toughness mitigates 1:1 up to 787 toughness, and after that it is wasted.
This is weird, why is it even a thing?
Its not like toughness overperforms when its effect is limited by attacker's primary stat
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Ads
Nameless

Post#19 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:19 pm

siflisk wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:43 pm
dalen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:50 pm
So weapon DPS and ability base damage are not included?

I always assumed that they were included.

Example:
500 Strength
80 DPS weapon
100 ability base DPS

vs

1000 Toughness

280 dps - 200 dps = 80 dps
25% of 280 dps = 70 dps
Toughness is 100% effective.

If its only Strength vs Toughness then toughness has a 787 fairly solid hard cap.
as someone said before it reduce main stats + minor version of main stats so 1050 strength + let say 200 melee power so u can easily utilize +900 toughness. The problem is that it is kinda waste stat vs not capped main stat char while most other stats dont have such downsides.
imo toughness (esp its nerfet ror version) need some secondary effect like lesser the received crit values like 0-500 tough - reduce crit damage by 0, 500-750 - reduce crit dmg by 5% and 750-1050 - 10% reduce crit dmg
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

kmark101

Post#20 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:12 am

Also some skills are acting weird:
Heavy Blow's main hit has different mitigation than it's dot component (both are physical damage type).

How can you explain that? Unless toughness bugged with the dot part somehow..
Gryyw - Ironbreaker