Recent Topics

Ads

How to guard a WL?

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
skinnyraf

How to guard a WL?

Post#1 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:17 am

How would you guard a WL in a PUG setting? Their pounce means they leave guard range for quite a while. In a premade with Discord you can coordinate probably, i.e. a tank can have a head start, but how to do it in a PUG?

Ads
hippyia

Re: How to guard a WL?

Post#2 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:24 am

Assist him and spam it so you know where he will be heading next, if you see he is targeting someone out of melee range start pre-emptively moving to that target and apply cc/debuffs or whatever you would normally do to assist him.

anarchypark

Post#3 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:28 am

run to WL, what else?
if WL die it's half his fault.
same with every overextending mdps.
tank is not a guard bot.
teamwork apply to both.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Grock

Post#4 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:51 am

How to guard a WL 101:
1) Guard Slayer
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Sulorie

Post#5 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Grock wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:51 am How to guard a WL 101:
1) Guard Slayer
This is a selfish answer. :^)
Dying is no option.

Noslock

Post#6 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Ask dev to give WL a selfguard ability they may even listen to you.Or let him die 3 or 4 times and he will eventually learn to not suicide jump into blob like Cature do

skinnyraf

Post#7 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:22 pm

Thank you folks. I think this one is what I was looking for.
hippyia wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:24 am Assist him and spam it so you know where he will be heading next, if you see he is targeting someone out of melee range start pre-emptively moving to that target and apply cc/debuffs or whatever you would normally do to assist him.
I need to learn to /assist properly though.
anarchypark wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:28 am run to WL, what else?
I need to record it and run at twice the speed: a pouncing WL, my poor ironbreaker running to him, the WL pouncing again, rinse and repeat. Oh, and some silent comedy film music in the background :)
Sulorie wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm
1) Guard Slayer
This is a selfish answer. :^)
:D

This is a sound answer on so many levels:
1) An IB running after a Slayer looks less pathetic than an IB running after a WL
2) Dwarves should guard dwarves. Are we cosplaying as Legolas and Gimli?
3) One pet is enough for a WL. No need for a pocket guard.

Lapo77one

Post#8 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:11 pm

skinnyraf wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:17 am How would you guard a WL in a PUG setting? Their pounce means they leave guard range for quite a while. In a premade with Discord you can coordinate probably, i.e. a tank can have a head start, but how to do it in a PUG?
I share your frustration, fellow Ironbreaker. And my only suggestion, aside from what has already been said (have them learn not to suicide-pounce into the blob being the king rule :D ), you can try to alleviate the problem (not solve it entirely) of having to keep up with those grasshoppers by trying to slot the "Avalanche" tactic from the Path of Brotherhood.
In RvR situations you'll find yourself zooming at decent speed quite often as soon as you raise your shield to hold the line, which will allow you to be there when your guardee decides to dart several feet away from you in the blink of an eye.
Incidentally this speed boost also gives you better chances of retreating, should things turn sour in the usual ebb and flow of battle ;)

Ads
CountTalabecland

Post#9 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:23 pm

As people above have said, it is up to the WL to take the risk in pouncing. Generally pounce should only be to gap close with a soft target that is already out of position. If the WL spams pounce right into an enemy 6 man who has both guards and both healers standing right next to the target, you have a bad WL.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

nat3s

Post#10 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 pm

1) Guard Slayer

Lol it's funny because it's true!

Answer is obvious though of course, if the WL knows what it's doing, it would avoid overextending (whether by Pounce or on foot). If the WL gets baited into going deep all the time it isn't worth your guard.
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG