Recent Topics

Ads

new invader farming

Let's talk about... everything else
Sonnenritter

Re: new invader farming

Post#21 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:58 pm

I can just say that as a new player I love this system. I am not really able to just log into the game on a moment's notice to do a fortress or a city siege. Nor can I play all day every day. I am glad to be rewarded with Invader tokens for just involving myself in regular open RvR zones. Thanks devs, you're the best. :)
Last edited by Sonnenritter on Sat May 02, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
rameden

Post#22 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:59 pm

While I agree something like this needed to be done I think we are seeing the unforeseen consequences of the current system. My simple fix is this:
- Last zone before fort give the following:
Attackers if successful - 2x token of next needed set. Example if you are RR40 on zonelock you get Vanq
Defender if successful - 3x token of next needed set. Example if you are RR40 on zonelock you get Vanq + regular rewards
- Realm lockout - increase to 12 hours

A big issue this also presents is because vanq is so hard to get (pricey af) people will just skip it all together and go full invader.
Too many alts to count...

ReturnOfTheMac

Post#23 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:13 am

The issue is that the new method, meant to disincentivize that type of opportunistic behavior, backfired and is pushing players to do what they feel will maximize their rewards.

It's a well known problem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivatio ... ing_theory . The TL;DR version is that providing explicit incentives, in this case invaders, is undermining the intrinsic motivation ( the pride of pushing a zone successfully). People are shifting from thinking "what will be most fun" to "what will be most rewarding". At this time, the most rewarding and time efficient thing to do is to charge in when your side is defending. You see there is 500 order vs 250 destro, you know the zone is going down, so it's time for some easy invaders. But now you have a problem where anything after that feels unrewarding in comparison. Why would you bother with working hard for Dragonwake when you can just chill and wait for Eatine again? Or why would you try to push Caledor when destro numbers suddenly spike. Wouldn't it just be easier to log onto your destro alt and get easy invaders? It's tough to ignore such clear incentives. People were upset in destro region chat for elf t4 today because destro pushed out of Dragonwake. Why? Because from their POV, they'll have to wait longer for Caledor to get pushed again and they're missing out on invaders. And missing out on a reward feels bad. It's difficult to estimate for how much fun you'll have doing RVR, but it's easy to estimate the number of invaders you'll get.

I agree with the issues you've mentioned before and the reasoning you have for wanting to fix them. I personally enjoyed getting the journey to full invader set on my first char and the only thing I disliked about that experience was having to miss out on other content as I got closer to RR70, because trying to snipe forts is boring and I didn't want to be forced to do it. You've fixed that already and imho it would be best to revert these T4 invader changes and look for a better solution. I'm sure that the trends we're seeing today are not good for the long-term health of the game, as viewing rvr like a chore will eventually drive players away, not to mention the impact it's had on other content like SCs. I don't think there's an easy solution for this and I'm sure that big studios have experts to turn to for this type of problem. Thanks for all the hard work you've put into fixing it :)

thedonkeykong332
Suspended

Post#24 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:43 am

I think the solution is to increase invader set cost, instead of 160 something for the tome you need 500+. or at least 400 ~ the number can vary, if its an end game set that is required to get the last set, it should take some effort.

Otherwise in this rate, you will have players fully farmed in invaders before hitting cr40 if that's not too much, and next city will be farmed back & forth for end game set.

Or maybe make vanq/opp tome first, before able to equip invaders.

or cant get invaders unless 40/40 perhaps, with increasing the cost of the full invaders tome.
Last edited by thedonkeykong332 on Sat May 02, 2020 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zxul

Post#25 » Sat May 02, 2020 1:03 am

Mistdancer wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:50 pm Implement a hard, IP based, realm lock, and watch magic happen before your very eyes.
Over here each time I restart router I get a new ip. Not to mention vpns.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

jaxamillian
Suspended

Post#26 » Sat May 02, 2020 2:11 am

Please revert this change, it has literally killed the game. After every push the numbers swing 100-200 to the other side, like clockwork. Just watched chaos go +150 in a zone while order went -150. Incredibly lame and unplayable.

Ruscour

Post#27 » Sat May 02, 2020 2:40 am

Appreciate the attempt but as others have mentioned, it's too much and it's made the game worse rather than better.

Everyone in chat is always claiming everyone's xrealming back and forth but I don't know how true that is.
ruscur - RR6x Shaman <Art of Execution>
From Australia or nearby countries less cool? Join our Asia Pacific discord community!

mytreds

Post#28 » Sat May 02, 2020 2:51 am

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Ads
moch

Post#29 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:18 am

As always what ruin everything is the xrealm abusing.... One decent Increase of the time needed for doing it could be help a lot.

trixrabbit

Post#30 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:51 am

not sure if related but SOR is also acting super weird since the change (conspiracy?)

I agree with the reason of the change but I believe the results were not what was expected.

Idea for a solution to fix xrealming: if you logged on a realm, you cannot get contribution with the other realm for the day with that account. Nothing IP based, just account based.
Then there are ways to track multiple account per players.