Recent Topics

Ads

Increase all movement speeds 10%

Let's talk about... everything else
Torintinhammer

Increase all movement speeds 10%

Post#1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:28 pm

Have thought this since AOR launch. The normal movement seems so slow and choppy. IMO this could be solved and the game made more dynamic by increasing all movement speeds by 10%.

And no this is not an April 1st joke.

Remember to write yur mum.

Ads
scatterthewinds

Re: Increase all movement speeds 10%

Post#2 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:36 pm

No way. Don't diminish the effectiveness of snares/punts.

Arbich
Suspended

Post#3 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:43 pm

It would buff the effect of snares, not?

But still, is not a needed change.
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

Kaelang

Post#4 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:50 pm

Uh...
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

Vayra

Post#5 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:57 pm

Only if all ranged attacks and heals get an appropriate increase in range to offset the ability of melee classes to close the distance faster. It's hard enough playing ranged as it is.
Vayra - Sorc
Forkrul - DoK
Kalyth - BG

Torintinhammer

Post#6 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Vayra wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:57 pm Only if all ranged attacks and heals get an appropriate increase in range to offset the ability of melee classes to close the distance faster. It's hard enough playing ranged as it is.
Not sure why they would need more range. Should be maintaining positioning by moving when possible and everyone would move at the same speed.

This change would however prove an advantage to people who do move when they play. Kiters would become more effective. Stationary people would find it harder I guess. But they are already making it hard on themselves, right?

Whether the change is needed or not it would be pretty easy to implement.

Vayra

Post#7 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Torintinhammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 pm
Vayra wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:57 pm Only if all ranged attacks and heals get an appropriate increase in range to offset the ability of melee classes to close the distance faster. It's hard enough playing ranged as it is.
Not sure why they would need more range. Should be maintaining positioning by moving when possible and everyone would move at the same speed.

This change would however prove an advantage to people who do move when they play. Kiters would become more effective. Stationary people would find it harder I guess. But they are already making it hard on themselves, right?

Not all ranged spells are instant. By increasing movement speed you're increasing the distance an attacker can close during a cast animation. As such maximum range needs to be increased to retain whatever semblance of parity there is between melee/ranged.
Vayra - Sorc
Forkrul - DoK
Kalyth - BG

Torintinhammer

Post#8 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Kaelang wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:50 pmUh...
Please continue, we are enthralled. :)

Seriously, hard to have a constructive conversation when someone posts "Uh...".

Ads
Torintinhammer

Post#9 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:06 pm

Vayra wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:56 pm
Torintinhammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Not all ranged spells are instant. By increasing movement speed you're increasing the distance an attacker can close during a cast animation. As such maximum range needs to be increased to retain whatever semblance of parity there is between melee/ranged.
So what is being said is that the range should be increased to compensate for melee having quicker closing speeds.

I see, so if a ranged ability takes X seconds the distance Y is 10% less if they are moving 10% faster. Good point. So a change to initiation range or reduction in cast time would compensate, correct?

My question would be, if you are a ranged caster, with snares at your disposal, and you move at the same speed as your attacker, wouldn't this change be equal benefit to each? Yes they close quicker, but you separate further on a snare. So if playing ranged above t1 shouldn't really be an issue, correct?

In t1 not sure if it matters much. You will die from being caught in collision with your faction anyway. :)

Kaelang

Post#10 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:44 pm

Torintinhammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:57 pm
Kaelang wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:50 pmUh...
Please continue, we are enthralled. :)

Seriously, hard to have a constructive conversation when someone posts "Uh...".
Sorry - I honestly didn't think this was a serious thread. A 10% movement increase is a similar to change of something like 'lets increase damage across the board by 10%'. Or, for example, let's give everyone 10% more renown points.

The current stats are based off of live, and this server is emulating a live server with further development and updates to the core game. I think if customisation of game elements like this start to happen, a lot of people will be confused with the direction of which the server would be going. A 10% movement difference isn't significant, correct, but it's significant enough to highlight that the project team are open to changing values that are based off of live, which will turn people away if they're looking for a live-experience.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.