Recent Topics

Ads

Performances issues

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
dekadd

Performances issues

Post#1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Hello,
I can not find a configuration allowing me to play at 30 FPS minimum when taking fort.
With the "Fast framerate" presets or with the animations / shadow I only have 3/4 fps of difference.
I installed reshade + nvidia inspector and followed all the advice in this post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19867

Config:
i7 6700k (I tested with / without OC, with / without intel turbo).
Asus 1060 6GB
32Gb RAM

I play in 1080p
I tested in 240x480 -> No gain
I have the updated addons for RoR

If you have any ideas / ideas on what could cause me these concerns, don't hesitate.

Thanks to the community

Ads
Kaelang

Re: Performances issues

Post#2 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm

This game wasn't exactly perfectly optimised. I have a brand new gaming rig which can run the majority of high titles at 200FPS~ but I still get drops and chops in Warhammer.

The best way to get the game running as smoothly as possible is to follow the link you've already used and run on Fastest Framerate. You will still experience shopping fights when there are 500~ people in a war, but that's what it is.

Remember this game is very old, and gaming computers have completely evolved since it's release. The engine didn't keep up - so this is what we have. :)
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

dekadd

Post#3 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Kaelang wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm This game wasn't exactly perfectly optimised. I have a brand new gaming rig which can run the majority of high titles at 200FPS~ but I still get drops and chops in Warhammer.

The best way to get the game running as smoothly as possible is to follow the link you've already used and run on Fastest Framerate. You will still experience shopping fights when there are 500~ people in a war, but that's what it is.

Remember this game is very old, and gaming computers have completely evolved since it's release. The engine didn't keep up - so this is what we have. :)
Thank you for your answer :)

Indeed it is an old game but I do not remember having had as many worries of framerate on offi: s

Kaelang

Post#4 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:16 pm

dekadd wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 pm
Kaelang wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm This game wasn't exactly perfectly optimised. I have a brand new gaming rig which can run the majority of high titles at 200FPS~ but I still get drops and chops in Warhammer.

Thank you for your answer :)

Indeed it is an old game but I do not remember having had as many worries of framerate on offi: s
Have you tried playing without using any AddOns? I know specific AddOns can reduce my framrate.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

NSKaneda

Post#5 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:38 pm

dekadd wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 pm Indeed it is an old game but I do not remember having had as many worries of framerate on offi: s
During times of 1.2.48 aka mass aoe build official server(s) would crash on every fort siege and severe lag would appear on most fights with 72 or more people involved. It was to do with info packets being sent to and from server concerning buffs, debuffs, dmg and all that juicy stuff. It got better in 1.3.6 and was fixed in 1.4.6.

Alas here, in RoR, we are in mass aoe times known as "24 limit". Game code hasn't changed that much - issues and problems have not either ;)
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

dekadd

Post#6 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:56 pm

Have you tried playing without using any AddOns? I know specific AddOns can reduce my framrate.
Yes, it's same :(

xpander
Community Management

Post#7 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:28 pm

Its all about the CPU, GPU is pretty much useless in this game (ok its useful for reshade stuff i guess). Anyway, CPU IPC is the thing that counts with this old game, its not threaded much either. Spell effects (yeah those are cpu limited somehow), party only, Guild names off and titles off will help a lot.

Playing the game on Linux can help with framerates to some degree also. For example wine (the thing that converts directx to opengl) will push the rendering to another CPU thread, so it will free up some load, but on the other hand you will loose some perf with the translation.

Best things for me to be able to play this game with good framerates(at least under Linux) are Disable Guild names, Spell Effects, party only or yourself only. Draw distance medium, animations balanced. Using taskset (taskset -c 4-7 on my ryzen 3700X) to make the game use only 4 cores. Disable State of Realm addon. Will cause some framerate spikes.

Playing it 2560x1440 (resolution doesnt make difference as this game is not GPU bottlenecked anyway)

results:
Questing: 100 FPS engine cap all the time
6vs6: 100FPS engine cap all the time
24v24: 100FPS engine caps with few dips down to 80 at times
~100 player battles: 70-100 FPS
~200 player battles: 50-90 FPS
~300 player battles 30-70 FPS
500+ players in keep 20-60 FPS
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

dekadd

Post#8 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:43 pm

Disable State of Realm addon.
I tried to play without addon, I don't see any improvement
Playing the game on Linux can help with framerates to some degree also. For example wine (the thing that converts directx to opengl) will push the rendering to another CPU thread, so it will free up some load, but on the other hand you will loose some perf with the translation.
Not really want to install linux but thank you for the tip!
Using taskset
I don't know this program! Does it exist for intel on windows?
Questing: 100 FPS engine cap all the time
6vs6: 100FPS engine cap all the time
24v24: 100FPS engine caps with few dips down to 80 at times
~100 player battles: 70-100 FPS
~200 player battles: 50-90 FPS
~300 player battles 30-70 FPS
500+ players in keep 20-60 FPS
I can play with all animations / effects on SC / Questing with 100fps without any problem.
FPS start droping with 150/200 players (-30 FPS)

Effect are very important in this game, i take 4-5 FPS with/without :s

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Post#9 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:47 pm

dekadd wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:43 pm

I don't know this program! Does it exist for intel on windows?

I can play with all animations / effects on SC / Questing with 100fps without any problem.
FPS start droping with 150/200 players (-30 FPS)

Effect are very important in this game, i take 4-5 FPS with/without :s
CPU process affinity i think its the same thing under windows. Can be accessed with the task manager or what was it named (haven't used windows since 2010)
Probably there are some third party tools also.

also clear out the cache folder from time to time from the WAR folder, it somehow collects lots of garbage and performance starts to degrade slowly. (specially if you still use old spinning harddrive)

edit: Also theres no other game out there that can handle that many players fighting on the screen with collision and stuff, with acceptable framerates really. All the other MMORPGs with massive battles start to run at snails pace even before reaching to 100 players on screen (ESO, GW2, WoW Classic just to name few)
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

dekadd

Post#10 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Oh! I tested affinity to force proc 0/1/2/3, didn't notice any change :s