Recent Topics

Ads

Fix LOS on flags

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Madae

Fix LOS on flags

Post#1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 am

People are abusing this mechanic, especially classes that don't have to sit still to cast spells, like Zealot or Archmage. They are already hard to kill and they make it even worse by eliminating all the ranged damage that would actually be a threat to them by just strafing back and forth behind a flag. I get that LOS should be a thing for like hallways and stuff, but not a small pole.

Ads
anarchypark

Re: Fix LOS on flags

Post#2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:24 am

consider it as standard bearer buff?
haha joke.

but more seriously,
you said zealot archmage at pole.
that's not good position against melees.
I would say desperate risky move.
or your melee lines already pushed back. so taking advantage of team.
either way, it seems to have pros and cons.

tbh, i use it whenever possible.
more than 50% it's desperate move, to delay capture while facing melee focus.
maybe on 1:1 defensive situation, only against rdps, it's good.
but i don't mind if it's gone. no big deal.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Foltestik

Post#3 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:37 am

i think he is talking about BO flags and no LOS through it

anarchypark

Post#4 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 am

Foltestik wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:37 am i think he is talking about BO flags and no LOS through it

yes and i'm talking about it.
ok my standard bearer joke was really bad one.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Ghostwalker

Post#5 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:51 am

So if you go outside and stand on one side of a light pole near your house.. get someone to stand on the other side of that pole.. facing each others direction can you see them fully? can they see you fully?

I didn't think so, I mean add a flag to said pole too that hangs low like warhammer...

Logic right?

The bigger problem with LOS are engineers still able to use any spell they want behind buildings and rocks that you clearly cannot see past in reality or in the game, this need nuking into the dust.

The same goes for White Lion having no LOS checks to their Pounce.

CeeJay89

Post#6 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:22 pm

Ghostwalker wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:51 am
The bigger problem with LOS are engineers still able to use any spell they want behind buildings and rocks that you clearly cannot see past in reality or in the game, this need nuking into the dust.

The same goes for White Lion having no LOS checks to their Pounce.
Except there is.

Madae

Post#7 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:49 pm

Ghostwalker wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:51 am So if you go outside and stand on one side of a light pole near your house.. get someone to stand on the other side of that pole.. facing each others direction can you see them fully? can they see you fully?

I didn't think so, I mean add a flag to said pole too that hangs low like warhammer...

Logic right?
A light pole isn't a fair comparison. I can see someone standing behind a flagpole, for instance... not 100%, but I know they're there. For the sake of argument, lets say someone is trying to shoot at you, would you choose a flagpole to stand behind to avoid being shot? No, because you're not two inches wide and completely hidden.

Real world "logic" and game world "logic" don't have to be the same, especially when it comes down to what is a fair mechanic and what isn't. That someone can interrupt a spell because they run behind this visually thin object isn't fair, especially when the place in question is meant to be wide open and not necessarily a place where you're supposed to be hidden from anyone... that would be the risk you take for being at the flag and trying to hold it.

As for the other point, yeah, standing at the flag is not the best place to be for squishy classes, but when one team is steamrolling the other team and the only hope of turning it around is to focus the squishies in the back, which just happen to be standing at the flag (think fortress in nordenwatch) but the classes that need to do the damage to a backline that is hard to get to (caster/archer, classes with charge time mechanics) can't do it because they are being interrupted by this thin flag pole...

Hope that makes sense, at any rate.