[Squig Herder] New to RoR, how is the Squig Herder? Plus a few other questions.

Black Orc, Squig Herder, Choppa, Shaman
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Bullvinne

[Squig Herder] New to RoR, how is the Squig Herder? Plus a few other questions.

Post#1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm

I played mainly a Squig Herder and Magus when AoR was live, but the SH was my favorite between the two. How are they in this game? I have heard that their Melee spec is pretty decent, but what about their ranged specs? are they viable? I don't care if I am top DPS like Sorc/BW, but I would like to actually be able to do something useful and get kills. Is this possible with rSH?

For my first time back, should I main an SH, or start with Magus? I hear most of their specs are viable atm.

Lastly, how is the Shaman for RvR/PvP? I usually don't play healers, but the Shaman does seem pretty fun looking.

Ads
Ototo

Re: [Squig Herder] New to RoR, how is the Squig Herder? Plus a few other questions.

Post#2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:03 pm

Bullvinne wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm I played mainly a Squig Herder and Magus when AoR was live, but the SH was my favorite between the two. 1.How are they in this game? I have heard that their Melee spec is pretty decent, but 2.what about their ranged specs? are they viable? I don't care if I am top DPS like Sorc/BW, but I would like to actually be able to do something useful and get kills. Is this possible with rSH?

For my first time back, 3.should I main an SH, or start with Magus? I hear most of their specs are viable atm.

Lastly, 4.how is the Shaman for RvR/PvP? I usually don't play healers, but the Shaman does seem pretty fun looking.
1. Their mele is pretty much their only viable tree, as it's with SWs. Both classes are no longer ranged; they are 100% meles, cause their mele trees and skills are so laughable broken that there is no point to spec a single point in other trees. From both them the mSH is the most broken, having a lot of AoE attacks, core skill to pounce, and CCs.

2. No. You aren't gonna kill much. If one of them here is remotely usable, it would be the SW, yet as said both classes have such a laughable broken mele build, that there is little point to even try for ranged builds.

3. If you want a ranged class, Engi/Magus are decent utility support classes. Their trees are mostly viable with very few exceptions, even when of course some are better than others. If you want something stupidly OP, play assault-SW or mele-SH.

4. Subpar healer compared to zealots, incredibly powerful hybrid DPS. If you want a solo class, it's just crowded with tools for the perfect ganker, from shields and increased speed tactics to AoE detaunt and punts. You can see what I'm talking about in these videos (Nexso is the shammie): https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum ... 54&t=23989
Spoiler:

zulnam

Re: [Squig Herder] New to RoR, how is the Squig Herder? Plus a few other questions.

Post#3 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:32 pm

SH has been modified a bit, specifically the melee tree, which has been made viable to the point where it's the best SH build for organised RvR.

They are still ranged classes (contrary to what Ototo says) but the range trees stand out as wanting due to the fact that the meta around warbands is AoE, and SH has minimal AoE capabilities and is very squishy.

You need to be high ranking, with very good gear, to survive most fights if targeted. Reason why they are often called 'glass cannons'.

Even when well geared they lag behind other single-target rDPS classes so out of all 3 (SH, Magus, Sorc) it's generally accepted that SH is the weakest.

Can still be a fun class to play and there are good SHs out there that are a pain to enemy warbands. Think of it more as a debuffer than a dps class, since the best range spec revolves around debuffing the Main Assist's target.

Melee spec is very strong and often seen in the frontlines. Downside is that you look like a giant testicle (Remember Squig Armor, when you got into a giant Squig for 30 seconds? That's the melee spec main form now).
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

wachlarz

Post#4 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Why Jurki rsh is top kill in zone ?

Haskr

Post#5 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:59 pm

wachlarz wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 pm Why Jurki rsh is top kill in zone ?
- Well geared
- Max RR
- Skilled player
- Pockethealer

Sulorie

Post#6 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:03 pm

Haskr wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:59 pm
wachlarz wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 pm Why Jurki rsh is top kill in zone ?
- Well geared
- Max RR
- Skilled player
- Pockethealer
Which can be said about any DD class.
Dying is no option.

BeautfulToad

Post#7 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:39 pm

Squig Herder is fun but a bit of a grind. Not a bad pick. Go range and then melee.

Magus is a very strong class too, and maybe more useful more early.

Bullvinne

Post#8 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:01 am

BeautfulToad wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:39 pm Squig Herder is fun but a bit of a grind. Not a bad pick. Go range and then melee.

Magus is a very strong class too, and maybe more useful more early.
Thanks! yeah I think I have decided to start Magus as my first toon back, then play SH and maybe even a Shaman later on.

Ads
waszabi007

Post#9 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:15 am

I play ranged sh, she is 33/33 and very strong. For wl and sw now 1.2-1.4k crits and easy kill am-s slayers... why not good the ranged sh?
Jarvany/Black Orc
Merard/Marauder
Gyilkos/Witch Elf
Megmento/DoK
Rothina/Sorceress
Gyilok/Squig Herder
Eletmento/Shaman

Sulorie

Post#10 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:13 am

waszabi007 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:15 am I play ranged sh, she is 33/33 and very strong. For wl and sw now 1.2-1.4k crits and easy kill am-s slayers... why not good the ranged sh?
Because ppl are bad with a class and assume it is the class itself.
Dying is no option.