Recent Topics

Ads

Magus, the free candies of RoR.

Let's talk about... everything else
Anthe

Magus, the free candies of RoR.

Post#1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Hello everyone

For info I'm RR 68, playing since june 2019. I have played mainly Havoc and Changing spec.

Years ago i was playing on live like a lots of us. Also i had a magus RR80+. And i was enjoying so much the gameplay, on pve as on rvr, even if most of he people were saying that the magus was not doing enough damage.
Then War AoR had some updates i didnt like and finally closed.
After this i always remembered that i had fun with this class, and i was like "ah if only i could play it again, i had fun", i missed my dot dot dot, bolt of change, warping blast, indigo fire of change and *boom" the the little horror was appearing after the kill ( yes, he was a real pain in pve )
And i discovered RoR a few months ago. So when i saw the changing on the magus on RoR, i was like "oh ok, it sounds like an upgrade, looks interesting". I enjoyed the leveling and finally, i was back into the RvR i was missing.

But then, you discorver that your pet, is more a dead weight than a real help. ( i agree, on Aor he was useless ) Now you have to carry him with you everwhere, just to be at the top of your damage and he also get killed very easily. Forcing you to use a tactic slot to summon him faster ( Chaotic attunement ) to feel a bit more free.

Almost every ennemy class can kill you ( or maybe all of them ). Right now i'm trying to do the more damage possible, i'm full vanquisher, changing spec, 1031 intel, 232 dps, with the +4% damage of the bonus set and the +5% on the staff, and 6200 hp. So at this point its not even glass canon, its more like paper. Even with maxing my damage, i feel like doing no damage ( except with the "tzeentch firestorm", the tornado. ) . I could play deamon spec, but then it's more utility spec than damage.

I'm testing mix between stuff and spec, trying to see what stuff could work etc.. So now i have a class with less mobility than the others, because you have to manage your pet all the time ( except engi obviously ), doing not enough damage, not able to kill anyone while surviving, and getting almost instant killed ( or instant with the WLs). So i know, its RvR game " you are supposed to play with your teamates, they are supposed to heal, to use guards, detaunt, use pots etc" but lets be honest, i doesnt work like this most of the time. I can also hear that i may not be good at this game, i can accept that, never said i was.

I'm disapointed to not find any viable solution for rvr. In the end, it's not a big deal, that's the way it is, i'm sharing my feeling and i would like others magus and my dear ennemies from the order side to tell me what they think about the magus.

Cygre

o/

Ads
Glorian

Re: Magus, the free candies of RoR.

Post#2 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:44 pm

The magus is the most deadly single target sniper in RoR.
Whereas the engi can shoot almost everyone, the magus can and will shoot and kill everything.

Check some Sniper Squad Videos, do the same on your magus.
Bath in purple rain.

Your pet gives you +25% range. Use that in keep defenses and use it on the magus snipes.

peterthepan3

Post#3 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:05 pm

Changing isn't a great spec, I'm afraid, so that would probably explain why you feel like you're not seeing a lot of 'bang for your buck'.

If you were to respec Havoc, and play like a sniper, then you'd get much, much better results if its killing power that you're after.

Tankbeardz

Post#4 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:34 pm

Why must we always have engi whine in every magus thread?

Wahh armor! Wahh crit tactics! None of them mention the better selection of tactics and morales at their disposal (ninja insta cannon smash change) and it is so incredibly easy to get to m3 now with the morale changes.

To the OP....get some more wounds / reduce chance to be crit. Make sure to get to intel soft cap at 1050 to minimize your chance to get disrupted. I'd change to Havoc / Daemo (that wounds buff is a life saver in so many situations). My magus has pretty much the same setup but with 8k base wounds and a couple points in reduce chance to be crit and he seems do to ok.

Also, practice your situational awareness...stagger pets for WHs, insta-cast pet self-destruct, melee snare (when applicable), punt - can do this on the run with the right pet out and 1 stack. Good luck sir!

Anthe

Re: Magus, the free candies of RoR ?

Post#5 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 pm

@everyone : Thanks for your answers and for your tips.
The changing path seems not to be enough effective unfortunatly. I'll go more for havoc then and pratice it.

See you ;)

marisco

Post#6 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:23 am

Changing really shines when defending chokepoints in keeps and forts against the zerg. On any other aspects of the game, it is pretty meh.

Panodil

Post#7 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:00 am

Class was ok for orvr before they removed groupheals on pet, now its just spawn pet minigame.
Still ok if solo in keep defence.
One good change would be to reduce the aoe damage pet take.
Panodil WP
Panodill DoK
Panodilz Zealot
Panodilr Runepriest
Run Shaman
Panage Archmage

Wiede

Post#8 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Well... they could also make it just without taking damage.

Keep the range requirements and stacks, but that permanent resummoning cause im not able to keep it alive for more than 2 seconds sucks.

Ads
peterthepan3

Post#9 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Wiede wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:40 pm Well... they could also make it just without taking damage.

Keep the range requirements and stacks, but that permanent resummoning cause im not able to keep it alive for more than 2 seconds sucks.
Worth taking into account that Magus damage with 8 stacks is pretty astronomical, so the pet being killed every so often to offset/keep this potential in check is a pretty fair trade off (not to say that it couldn't be tweaked a bit, though).

TenTonHammer

Post#10 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:58 pm

Panodil wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:00 am One good change would be to reduce the aoe damage pet take.
The fact that this change which was originally intended vs WL pet spilled over to to engi/mag summons and still hasn’t been addressed to this day is really frustrating

not as frustrating as a flamethrower turret/demon being our midranged instead of close ranged summon

That still throws me for a loop sometimes