Recent Topics

Ads

SM just feels weak...buffs on the horizon?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Izariel

SM just feels weak...buffs on the horizon?

Post#1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:34 pm

I love my SM, don't get me wrong. I just got him to 30 yesterday. The only problem...he feels incredibly weak. Even just solo pve I felt like I couldnt use a 2h without dying. I am currently using a mix of Vaul and Hoeth and S&B and I survive using bolstering enchantment and phantom blade (health steal one). With the healing I can squeak through killing more than one mob, it just takes a while.

I have relatively good gear for my level and a purple sword.

Damage feels low unless specced for damage with 2h, in which case you are made of paper.
Even in tank spec resists feel low and I take more damage than I feel I should.
Self healing should be stronger. Buffs/Debuffs should be more impactful. This is what the SM is known for more than anything.

Does it get any better? I have read on here and even high level SM's say that the other tanks are far better than SM. Is there any chance there are some buffs on the way?

Ads
Valarion

Re: SM just feels weak...buffs on the horizon?

Post#2 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:50 pm

All tanks are going to feel weak from a dps perspective. If you think its bad now, you should have seen SM on live after 5 years of nerfs.

While it gets a little better with endgame gear and spamming ED on low RR players, you are probably never going to do adequate damage compared to true dps. If this bothers you, Id recommend leveling a mdps now and working with what you like better. Do not try to transform SM (or any tank) into a real mdps class because you will be deeply disappointed.

In this game, the purpose of a tank is not dps, but keeping your party alive and assisting the true dps dealers.
Last edited by Valarion on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

Izariel

Post#3 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:54 pm

I understand that. I know my damage will be lower than a true mdps. I am saying, even knowing that, my damage feels low.

The bulk of my post was about survivability, buffs/debuffs and healing. I am willing to offset some of the strengths the other tanks have over SM by improving what the SM does do. Buffing and debuffing using sword enchants etc...

CountTalabecland

Post#4 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Being a 2h tank means that you need to balance dps and survivability. As the great Volgograd says, you need to meet your minimum survivability stats before investing in dps. The idea is that you go 2h to give the mdps you are guarding just enough more dps to bring down healers/burst down unguarded targets. WODS at lvl 40 will make dodging/disrupting RDPS much easier. Also T4 Tome Unlock Jewels "winds impervious" set will help with the resists. Beastlord gear also has resists on it so that can help too.

That said, I see plenty of SMs in scenarios throwing down high numbers of damage (for a tank this means getting above 40k or so). While this does not mean they are skilled/blowing up destro single handedly, it means that if played right you can boost the dps your group can dish out.

In ORvR warband vs. warband you will suffer the most for going 2h because there isn't much for you to do. Tanks in ORvR are there to bodyblock, spam hold the line, challenge, and absorb AoE damage. All of which is easier to do with a shield. Depending on the build, 2h tanks can be useful in wb play as off tank but that is assuming you are not in pug group and count on there being another defensive tank in the grp.
Last edited by CountTalabecland on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Valarion

Post#5 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Your damage is low because you need endgame gear, better stats and higher RR. At level 30 your damage is going to feel worse because you are fighting players with superior gear sets and more powerful healing. Id actually concentrate on real tanking (S&B) at least until level 40 and when you get WoDS.
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

peterthepan3

Post#6 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Endgame Khaine SM dishes out sustained that rivals that of real DPS, and has very nice burst potential when you ether dance with blurring shock, potent enchantments, and ensorcelled agony all ticking simultaneously.

Rank 30 is far too early to get a real feel for 2h SM. Ignore the naysayers.

Urdeg

Post#7 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:44 pm

OP isn't 40/40 yet? Why did you make the post?!
Urdeg OathKlad - IronBreaker 40/48 'I need nothing but the endless list of grudges unsettled.'

MayoDaen78

Post#8 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:46 pm

Izariel wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:34 pm I love my SM, don't get me wrong. I just got him to 30 yesterday. The only problem...he feels incredibly weak. Even just solo pve I felt like I couldnt use a 2h without dying. I am currently using a mix of Vaul and Hoeth and S&B and I survive using bolstering enchantment and phantom blade (health steal one). With the healing I can squeak through killing more than one mob, it just takes a while.

I have relatively good gear for my level and a purple sword.

Damage feels low unless specced for damage with 2h, in which case you are made of paper.
Even in tank spec resists feel low and I take more damage than I feel I should.
Self healing should be stronger. Buffs/Debuffs should be more impactful. This is what the SM is known for more than anything.

Does it get any better? I have read on here and even high level SM's say that the other tanks are far better than SM. Is there any chance there are some buffs on the way?
Hey buddy, hang in there, I play SM on live till around rr9x...in RoR currently have him around rr7x, and I just love my SM to the core, I know it has some downsides compare to other tanks, but I still enjoy playing this class. It takes patience to level SM, its a slow starter class. The reason why you cant survive much using 2h before 40 is because you don't have WoDS yet. I suggest to go SnB if you can and once you hit 40 then try 2h if you like. Trust me it will improve when you reach 40 and your RR progressively increasing. DPS should improve but you won't deal damage like melee dps, still your dps output in most cases are bit higher than a Knight or IB, however IB and Knights are way tougher most of the time so there is give and take in that area. Again you are still a tank, but you can assist your melee dps ( WL, WH and SL). Just stick to Vaul & Hoeth till you get 40 if you want to survive more. When I was below 40, I have WP buddy with me and we always duo so I could start 2h bit earlier, but I think in your case since you seem to solo more, then going SnB for the time being maybe is more suitable for you.

Self heals as far as I could tell is fine, Bolster Enchantment ( BE) is decent and for a tank class, it's where it should be. Most SM that go with 2h, usually spec for Khaine 1st and Hoeth 2nd. They usually focus on dps assist but still have decent survivability, but to some who focused more on rvr and wb, they go either Hoeth/Vaul or Vaul/Hoeth. These type of SM (Shieldmaster) are much tougher on the battle field. I myself a bit bias, because Swordmaster is by definition a warrior who excel in using sword lol, so I just stay 2h. The current HB ( Heavens Blade) , I found really useful to use in rvr/wb setting but I sometimes alternate this with Nature Blade ( NB) the stats steals. Hope it helps :)
Last edited by MayoDaen78 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezraim - SM 7x
Tessaline - WP 5x
Binary - BW 6x

Ads
Manatikik

Post#9 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:46 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:04 pm Endgame Khaine SM dishes out sustained that rivals that of real DPS, and has very nice burst potential when you ether dance with blurring shock, potent enchantments, and ensorcelled agony all ticking simultaneously.

Rank 30 is far too early to get a real feel for 2h SM. Ignore the naysayers.
Are you saying you don’t think we should Buff SM damage to introduce the 4 SM 2 Healer meta?
<Montague><Capulet>

DokB

Post#10 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:58 pm

SM is currently the best pseudo-dps tank there is. You come equipped with survivability in the form of your self-parry buff, you are equipped with a M2 Wings of Heaven which can be used defensively to escape things such as Champions Challenge and is one of the best initiation tools, especially when running alongside ASW/WL (not that these classes need the extra burst you can provide them). You have a panic button in the form of WODS which can be thrown in anywhere to help dodge/disrupt burst rotations and can prolong your life for healers/other tanks to save you. You have some of the most wanted buffs/debuffs/procs in any group setting (Whispering Winds/Stat Steal/Blurring Shock).

Tl;dr: unga bunga SM good.
Zoggof - Black Orc
Doinks - Ironbreaker
Leatherman - Blackguard