Recent Topics

Ads

How has the AM changed affected the class?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Nefesh

How has the AM changed affected the class?

Post#1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 am

Been talking up RoR to some friends to maybe bring in some new players.

One friend is interested in the concept of Heal/DPS in one package.

Question is how well does Archmage perform that role, and how have the new changes that I see everyone complaining about in game affected the class as a whole?

If AM can't provide that, can any class provide that reliably?

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: How has the AM changed affected the class?

Post#2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:03 am

Nefesh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 am Been talking up RoR to some friends to maybe bring in some new players.

One friend is interested in the concept of Heal/DPS in one package.

Question is how well does Archmage perform that role, and how have the new changes that I see everyone complaining about in game affected the class as a whole?

If AM can't provide that, can any class provide that reliably?
You won't top both sides of the leaderboards at the same time but AM can fill that role provided you're comfortable with the mixed results. The problem that persists is that if you try to do both, you're not going to be valued either as a pure healer would be, or as a pure DPS class would be. That makes some people uncomfortable.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Brizio

Post#3 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:44 am

Well, all i can say about AM right now is... i have 8 level 40 toons! AM is the only one that is actually not worth playing.

It's the worst healer, by far. Not even gonna comment o Hybrid... maybe dps you might have some fun.

But if youre doing warbands, even a engineer stacking willpower keg healing is viable. Youre just gonna have to stick with mediocre.

My suggestion is... run a chosen, ask your friend to run dps/heal DoK!

nebelwerfer

Post#4 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:23 pm

This is what I run: RoR.builders - Archmage

With 500 int / wp my heals make a difference and my dmg spells are rarely disrupted. It's a lot more efficent when you have time to build up your mechanic to burst heal or deal decent damage.

I think that if you and your friend are communicating with each other the hybrid AM is totally viable. To reach 500/500 and still meet certain tresholds when it comes to defences you need pretty good rr and gear though.

I also tried this, and it has led to some glorious moments where the pheonix rises in the middle of a destro blob! ; RoR.builders - Archmage

I say go for it, i have no regrets of investing time to build my AM :)

Valarion

Post#5 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Brizio wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:44 am Well, all i can say about AM right now is... i have 8 level 40 toons! AM is the only one that is actually not worth playing.

It's the worst healer, by far. Not even gonna comment o Hybrid... maybe dps you might have some fun.

But if youre doing warbands, even a engineer stacking willpower keg healing is viable. Youre just gonna have to stick with mediocre.

My suggestion is... run a chosen, ask your friend to run dps/heal DoK!

AM/Shaman healing is actually in an overall ok place right now.

Far better than live and their mechanic is mostly fixed. What separates the AM/Shaman from all the other healers is that they have superior kiting tools. In the hands of an expert the class is powerful.
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

bloodi
Suspended

Post#6 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Valarion wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:34 pmAM/Shaman healing is actually in an overall ok place right now.

Far better than live and their mechanic is mostly fixed. What separates the AM/Shaman from all the other healers is that they have superior kiting tools. In the hands of an expert the class is powerful.
And thats why the 6vs6 tournament featured 0, zero, none, ams, because they are superb.

No, really, none of what you said its even remotely true, the mechanic is worthless right now, you cant even use it to have 0 cast time on your cc, the common spec got ruined by changes thus making the class weaker and well, you tell me how does an AM kite better than a rp with their 0 cast time heals.

Or dont actually because, he really does not kite better at all.

Sometimes people try really hard to pretend that classes that are clearly bad are actually good if you put the effort in, is not the case here at all mate, any otherh ealer will outperform you in every role of the game sans maybe, casting group heal behind a wall with infinite ap and thats pretty much worthless.

Telen
Suspended

Post#7 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Healing AM is in an ok place. Not being able to cleanse Sorc puts WP cleansing over them and RP have the better procs so pairs better with WP than AM. Also theres still a cleansing disparity between RP and AM with RP cleansing the debuffs type of 9 classes and AM 8. While Destro have 8 classes cleansed by each healer. Small factor but another reason RP is above AM in who to pair with WP. Its also why SW is weaker than SH that DoK can gcleanse off SW hdebuff while WP cant cleanse SH.

Changing SH type to Hex would fix this strange difference.

@bloodi by kiting I think he means running away. They are good at that. Kite healing, not so much.

bloodi
Suspended

Post#8 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:38 pm

AM wont ever compete as long as he lacks the tools a rp/wp can bring, period.

Am cant give you a group hot, a party wide shield,heals that are able to proc shields by themselves, an ap giving gtaoe, an armor buff that also gives you reduced penetration, or a damaging aura.

And of the tools he has, like giving 25% extra heals on a single spell, get ridicuously outclassed by the RP giving 25% heal buff on every **** heal he has when he crits.

Of course kiting is not one of them when the only tools you have for it are the punts and the aoe snare, that compared with being able to heal on the move and keep people up, is like comparing how good a car and the space shuttle are at going into space. Yeah the car may do it but you are always going to pick the shuttle for the job.

The benefits am has over other healers are:

A) CC, he has access to 2 aoe punts, a heal debuff and the best silence in the game, also gets puddle which is a great Gtaoe snare.
Sadly, the frist 4 are 60% of the time, defended and thus worthless, so its not really much of an upside if over half the time, they dont work at all but hey, he has the puddle at least, thats great.

B) Wb utility with Insta rez and the morale pump, thats great but other healers will give you things like rituals or damage auras that are also good, so even if he gets a point here, is not that great. Specially not considering RP can give you **** like an aoe heal debuff.

C) Is not mindnumbingly boring to play but you are going around with a dress, so its a 50/50 here.

So no, AM is not on an ok place, he gets outclasses by the other 2 healers hard and you lot pretending is just a matter of effort and hands only makes you look foolish.

There is no reason to bring an AM over the 2 other healers, sans maybe in some wbs for utility, however you can do without them, try doing that with the other 2 healers.
Last edited by bloodi on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Ugle

Post#9 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Bloodi got it spot on, except instarez was nerfed to uselessness too ;)
inactive

anarchypark

Post#10 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:51 pm

know strength and weakness of the class first.
and put it on right place/moment.
avoid where you're weak, find where you can shine.
that's how you maximize it's potential.

in highly mobile situation AM have less opportunity to use his best tools.
that's why u don't see AM in 6v6 cage fight.
simple as that.

AM's power is burst heal. 2k healing is common. 3k is not rare.
you can rise near death to safe hp instantly.
it's like emergency CPR.

high risk high reward.
thrill but stressful sometimes.
definitely not for weak heart.

every class have different role and skill ceiling.
it's hard class for some players.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)