Recent Topics

Ads

Slayer Giantslayer Spec?

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Cimba

Re: Slayer Giantslayer Spec?

Post#11 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 am

I have been playing 2H slayer with violent impacts for the past week now. So far I'm pretty happy with it even though I'm still far away from BIS gear. I feel like you're now a bit more burst heavy than the old spellbreaker spam. Which I think is a good thing, since dual wield simply outperformed 2H in terms of sustain damage.

Spellbreaker might be a bit broken in it's current implementation but time will tell.

In terms of tactics I'm currently running brute force, wild gambit, violent impacts and armor tactic. Depending on opposition I sometime switch armor tactic for flanking. With better gear this might even become permanent :p. In terms of flanking vs breaking point i would always go for flanking if you can reliably hit the backstyles due to the fact that it also amplifies auto attacks and procs such as reckless gambling.
If you cant breaking point might be an option.
Sulorie wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 am
geezereur wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:24 am Why the nerf on ID it went from great to ****, on single target it does the same damage like Onslaught the aoe dot.
What are Choppa saying, who have no ID in the first place?
By the sheer number of Choppas in RvR they appear to be quite happy with pulling apart warbands.

Ads
auzzibear

Post#12 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:23 pm

Joining this a little late, but I've been playing around with my 2h build.

I decided to try dropping Brute Force, and put str talismans in my gear to make up for it. still have ~600ws and capped str while potted.

For tactics, I've been running Wild Gambit, Flanking, Power Through and Push for More.
With a good IB guarding you, solid heals, and some smart kiting, not being able to drop rage has not been a problem, not even in 6v6.

you'll have about ~10% less armor pen, but you'll be able to slot flanking and get 15% additional damage (its really not that hard to stay on your targets back/sides). On heavy armor targets, i find my damage is the same (maybe slightly higher) as if i was running Brute Force and stacking weapon skill. However you really notice an increase in damage on low armor targets. With this setup, I actually one shotted a sorc (~5800 total damage) in one gcd by using spellbreaker while my m2 was active. The burst is definitely there, and your sustain is very good as well because you can get your auto attack speed down from 3.4 to 2.1 with conq shoulders and push for more.

is it situational? sure. is this a more difficult play style, due to not being able to drop rage? absolutely. but i find it very rewarding, and its definitely worth considering stacking str instead of ws in order to drop brute force.
Auzzimvp, Cow Handler of <Salt Factory>

Aussi-Slayer | Auzzima-WP | Auzzi-WH | Auzzita-RP | Auzzimvp-WL
Auzz- DoK | Dubbs- Mara | Dubs- BG | Izua- Sham
at least 40/40 on most classes, just ran out of room :D

CountTalabecland

Post#13 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:29 pm

I've never found a 2h spec that I didn't hate on my Slayer. I think was mostly due to poor gear. Now that I have BL and Merc I've been thinking about trying it again for scenarios since nerfed ID means its not the burstiest thing SL has anymore.
1) What is the typical rotation? I know Spell breaker is where to spec to in Giant.
2) What do you bring from Trollslayer? I assume everyone brings self-heal?
3) What kinds of auto-attack haste do most people stack?
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Sulorie

Post#14 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:10 pm

CountTalabecland wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:29 pm I've never found a 2h spec that I didn't hate on my Slayer. I think was mostly due to poor gear. Now that I have BL and Merc I've been thinking about trying it again for scenarios since nerfed ID means its not the burstiest thing SL has anymore.
1) What is the typical rotation? I know Spell breaker is where to spec to in Giant.
2) What do you bring from Trollslayer? I assume everyone brings self-heal?
3) What kinds of auto-attack haste do most people stack?
You will have a hard time taking spellbreaker and channel heal.
Trollslayer gives you rampage and healdebuff, that's it.
Dying is no option.

Danord
Suspended

Post#15 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Sulorie wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 am
geezereur wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:24 am Why the nerf on ID it went from great to ****, on single target it does the same damage like Onslaught the aoe dot.
What are Choppa saying, who have no ID in the first place?
They say GET TO DA CHOPPA! :twisted: :D

kcfalcon

Post#16 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Bowldancer wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:51 pm Breaking Point is a bad tactic and i would remove it if i reworked Giantslayer. I'd rather slot Flanking or Stoutness of Stone depending on the situation.
Just curious...if someone DID prefer the 2H, what is bad about a +15% to crit chance with no penalty when holding a 2H?

(I'm new and kinda like the 2H, but I'm keeping an open mind. Really enjoying the discussion on this topic.)

Sulorie

Post#17 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm

kcfalcon wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:45 pm
Bowldancer wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:51 pm Breaking Point is a bad tactic and i would remove it if i reworked Giantslayer. I'd rather slot Flanking or Stoutness of Stone depending on the situation.
Just curious...if someone DID prefer the 2H, what is bad about a +15% to crit chance with no penalty when holding a 2H?

(I'm new and kinda like the 2H, but I'm keeping an open mind. Really enjoying the discussion on this topic.)
Don't listen to him, it's a great tactic, when you go for crit instead of AA speed in your build. Though on choppa it is better, because of their racial crit dmg tactic.
Dying is no option.

kmark101

Post#18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:44 am

The problem with that tactic is that you simply don't have place for it in any build. Brute Force and Wild Gambit are mandatory, Fierce Might is simply more spike damage and Push For More (the auto attack haste tactic you gain by default) is much better investment for 2h use.
Gryyw - Ironbreaker

Ads
Bowldancer

Post#19 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 am

Answer the following questions:
(1) Do you have more than 4 tactic slots ?
(2) What percentage of your damage comes from Giantslayer abilities ?
(3) Do you pair it with a crit damage multiplier tactic ?
(4) Do the math.
Sulorie wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm Don't listen to him...
Why not ? I have more hours in this spec than you have posts on this forum ;)
Grimmsch Grimnirsson (2H Giantslayer, 40/85)
Spoiler:
40+: 2H-CHOPPA, AM, RP, WP, SM, IB, KotBS, WL, WH, BW, ENG, SW
Alts in T4: SHA, SH, BO, BG, CHO, MAR, WE

Sulorie

Post#20 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:43 am

Bowldancer wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 am Answer the following questions:
(1) Do you have more than 4 tactic slots ?
(2) What percentage of your damage comes from Giantslayer abilities ?
(3) Do you pair it with a crit damage multiplier tactic ?
(4) Do the math.
Sulorie wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm Don't listen to him...
Why not ? I have more hours in this spec than you have posts on this forum ;)
Like I said, it is better for 2h Choppa because of their crit dmg tactic.
When you talk ST dmg, then at least for Choppa more than half of dmg comes from mid tree.

Drop Brute Force and slot STR talis instead of WS to still get to the 1050 cap. The much more reliable crit rate on all anytimer and exhausts in mid tree make up for the tiny damage loss due to 9% lower armor penetration. You should try it and see. This gives you an optional tactic slot besides str+ws, flanking and crit chance.

Additionally you don't have to waste full 45 renown points on crit or use full genesis and full conq set to get to the same crit numbers. This leaves room to get some defensive renown skills.

@kmark101: Fierce Might requires high crit chance to have any use and even then it is suboptimal, because every healer will try to keep your health at max.
Dying is no option.