Recent Topics

Ads

Question about movement in game

Let's talk about... everything else
Medori

Question about movement in game

Post#1 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm wondering how most of you get around in game:

Do you use your mouse to run around (if I click LMB and RMB at the same time then I move forward), or do you use the WSAD keys, or the up/down/left/right arrows? If you use the WSAD keys how do you cast spells - by clicking on the hotbar keys or pressing the numeral keys? So many options!
For a while I was using my rollerball mouse (LOVE the Rollerball) to run around assigning one button to back up, and using my left hand on the numeral keys to click hotbar buttons. But, lately the game keeps kicking me into mouselook mode and the only way to get out of that is to click the ground - very frustrating. Has anyone had that happen?

I just wondered how most of you have found the easiest way to manipulate movement and casting. Thanks!

Ads
Ramasee

Re: Question about movement in game

Post#2 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Most people in tab target style games hold rmb to rotate character while pressing W to move. They will then strafe left and right. Using many other keys on the keyboard for abilities or more frequently nowadays using the extra buttons on their mouse.

My personal playstyle is so far mixed between how I move my character and choose abilities and targets, it would give people a headache reading it XD

NoRKaLKiLLa

Post#3 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 pm

I use m3 (click mouse wheel) for auto run as often as possible (90 percent of the time I'm moving forward) so as to free up my left hand to type/use abilities, when in combat I'll be holding LMB&RMB at the same time as well as holding W key to move forward, situation dependent. You really only need one finger on your left hand to move forward or strafe, steering with your mouse hand (if you're turning with your arrow keys, stop now) which will give you three fingers on your left hand to fire off abilities. At most you'll only really need to engage 4 fingers at once:

1) W A S or D to generate movement (I suggest binding A&D to strafe, get rid of key turning altogether)

2)Space bar to jump

3) 12345 for most frequently used abilities

4) shift / ctrl / alt (to access abilities 6-20 on your hotbar)

In sticky situations you'll feel like you're playing the piano if you're strafing, jumping and reaching for a ctrl+6, but this can be made even more simple if you utilize a gaming mouse so your mouse hand thumb can operate more functions.

You can also try to play around with I think it's called "smart look" ? Which is in the UI menu/tab somewhere

Foomy44

Post#4 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:28 pm

I believe the standard for the average good pvper is bind A and D to strafe, never use keyboard to turn, and don't click abilities with your mouse, keybind much faster. Fancier mice definitely open up more options. I've also heard unbinding backpedal will get you into better habits since strafing accomplishes the same thing but with faster movement.

Also you should use auto run and uncheck smart follow under general tab in settings, this will allow you to run forward and look behind you without having to hold down any buttons so you can freely target people that are chasing you while still easily running away full speed.
Destro: Chompy, ShroomStew, TrollBlood, DoomBeast, DoomDoctor, DoomDisk, Doomshadow, FunkFoot, Bloodwell
Order: Stormwall, Mistfall, CatNap, BoomRune, Bangman

Mystriss

Post#5 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:55 pm

I'm a bit OCD on this subject so hope you don't mind too much info :P

Depends a lot on what your playing IMO. You pretty much need strafe if you're playing mobile DPS, but if you're not doing mobile damage you can get away with the standard turn right/left. Mdps don't especially need strafe right/left (though it's nice.)

It's probably been a decade since I used a "standard" keyboard (now I have a gaming keyboard with 18 game keys,) but I recall having reverse movement on my mouse (plus auto-run) instead of on the keyboard (only had left/right and forward on the keyboard) because I needed more buttons. I imagine you could pretty easily do only right/left on the keyboard and do forward/back on the mouse. (I play SW and mobile healer mostly, played slayer & assault SW for ages in live.)

My husband hybrids as well, has a game pad, but doesn't use the keyboard at all - He only has right/left and reverse on his keypad and uses mouse for forward. He actually points n clicks "less used" or longer casting/"must stand still to cast" abilities and saves his scant available action keys for stuff he needs to cast on the move. (He plays SW, BW, WL, IB, and Slayer - he likes all the things)

If you feel like you really need moar buttons, check out gaming keyboards (Both of the ones I use(d) [K90 and K95] aren't made anymore because Corsair borked the pooch on the mechanical keys - the new K95 RBG Platinum doesn't have as many G keys but at least the switches are clean.) I used to have a Logitech G11 (switched to mechanical in like 2011-2013ish) Logitech has a number of G-Key enabled keyboards that are rock solid, but the software pales compared to Corsair's keyboard mapping.)

You might also check out a gaming mouse; Razer Naga Hex V2/Trinity/Chroma (https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Naga-Hex-P ... aming&th=1), the Corsair Scimitar (https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Scimitar ... for+gaming), Logitech G600 (https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming- ... for+gaming).

I've also heard good things from Linus Tech Tips about the Red Dragon (https://www.amazon.com/Perdition-Redrag ... for+gaming) but unlike the others I've not actually tried that brand myself. (I personally can't stand mice, I'm a trackballer)

Could also check out a gamepad, they seem to be falling out of favor. My husband's been using his Belkin n52TE literally for 13 years; rock solid if you can get your hands on one. Can't speak for its durability, but Belkin updated to the Nostromo n52 and the Nostromo Speedpad n50. Off hand I recall that Logitech makes the G13, Razer has the Tartarus.

I have also tried out the peregrine gaming glove, really like it, but not for PvP games. :( It's not that it's especially slow as one might presume, but rather it was the combination of the stupid wire (which was always in the damned way,) the way too hot to wear for hours, and trying to type with the thing on that just didn't work for me. I used it for maybe a month because I seriously wanted it to work out, but I never made friends with it. Now it sits in a box wishing I had a use for it. :/

Nidwin

Post#6 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:30 am

AWD for movement
mouse for turning

I use a naga razor and can handle the first 2 rows of 3 buttons (1-6) but can't handle the lower two ones for long playing hours so I had to change my playing style.

Because of GCD the difference between clicking and pressing buttons for kicking of abilities is minimal. It's just a matter of getting used and efficient, each it's own style and preferences.

And as having a Magus as main I can't even think (that's me and not saying it's not possible) how to not switch to full icon click mode with those 25+ abilities on my bar.
Nidwinqq used teabag Magus [Hysteria]

Cimba

Post#7 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:17 am

I use a game pad for my left hand. I have still have my old Belkin n52te from the good old days. Main benefit for me is that I just need my thumb for movement and can use the rest of my left hand fingers to hit abilities. Which is really nice when you play mobile classes and need to hit that shift+1 while strafing to the left (A-button).

But I have to admit, I haven't really found a decent way to play melee classes with the game pad. On melees I usually rely on the mouse movement (both buttons pressed).

Medori

Post#8 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for all that good information - I actually have a Razer Naga Hex that I never quite got used to a few years back. I may give it another shot. My rollerball fits my hand so well and is just so darn comfortable to use that I have a hard time adjusting to anything new. This is my first attempt at PvP and hopefully I'm not too old to learn a few new tricks 8-)

Ads
Gmaw

Post#9 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:58 pm

I move forward with W and strafe with a and d.Changing direction/turning with the mouse.Abilities on m,n,b,v,c,x (use thumb) r,f,t,g index finger,Q ring finger .!2345 middle and index.Got a bunch of abilities on mouse too which i activate with right thumb and index finger .Morales on F1-F4

Foomy44

Post#10 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Nidwin wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:30 am Because of GCD the difference between clicking and pressing buttons for kicking of abilities is minimal.
If you are using the mouse to turn how can you also use it to click abilities simultaneously? Seems like you have to be using it for one or the other at any moment which limits options and adds more pointless things to think about and manage. Also most people can press a key on their keyboard without looking, I'm under the impression when a clicker clicks an ability they will occasionally need to take their eyes off the action and focus on their hotbar to hit the right button which seems like another distracting and unnecessary action to have to make midcombat. I suppose you could argue the total effect of these + the increased amount of movement needed for clicking add up to a minimal difference but I honestly can't think of 1 benefit to being a clicker so why set yourself up with a disadvantage from the start.
Destro: Chompy, ShroomStew, TrollBlood, DoomBeast, DoomDoctor, DoomDisk, Doomshadow, FunkFoot, Bloodwell
Order: Stormwall, Mistfall, CatNap, BoomRune, Bangman