Recent Topics

Ads

Theft

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
roadkillrobin

Re: Theft

Post#31 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Have our account login details been comprimised in some way?

Ads
Natherul
Former Staff

Post#32 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:30 pm

roadkillrobin wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:30 pm Have our account login details been comprimised in some way?
no

Avici

Post#33 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Thievery is bad. Why would anyone even do this when we all know that there is not enough population to support a second server.

Dabbart

Post#34 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:33 pm

Rough. Unfortunately to be expected though.

Thanks to all the Devs, even the thief, for all your hard work. I love this server, as do the vast majority that play here.

Stay safe and secure online people. Smart passwords and don’t reuse any login credentials.

Much Waaagh RoR. Much Waaagh.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#35 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Avici wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm Thievery is bad. Why would anyone even do this when we all know that there is not enough population to support a second server.
Well I rather suspect a certain chunk of the population are already playing on the second server. RoR population has been particularly low lately, which is surprising considering the RR cap removal and increase of rr gains, which would normally spike the pop.

Unfortunate if true, as I cant imagine either server will maintain a healthy pop
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#36 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Dabbart wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:33 pm Rough. Unfortunately to be expected though.

Thanks to all the Devs, even the thief, for all your hard work. I love this server, as do the vast majority that play here.

Stay safe and secure online people. Smart passwords and don’t reuse any login credentials.

Much Waaagh RoR. Much Waaagh.
No accounts have been leaked at all. Its a former dev who took the code when they were booted off team. Im personally disgusted by this act and disappointed with that person.

A dev has no access to the live accounts what so ever, the only people who can access that is the leads, and we cant see the passwords either, they are hashed.
GodlessCrom wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:37 pm
Avici wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm Thievery is bad. Why would anyone even do this when we all know that there is not enough population to support a second server.
Well I rather suspect a certain chunk of the population are already playing on the second server. RoR population has been particularly low lately, which is surprising considering the RR cap removal and increase of rr gains, which would normally spike the pop.

Unfortunate if true, as I cant imagine either server will maintain a healthy pop
Doubtful, they have had a proof of concept run from a home PC, that wont be able to run anything particularly well. Not to mention that they claim to have things working that is clearly an exaggeration (at least with what you expect when you hear "working")

Secrets
Former Staff

Post#37 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:40 pm

darude83 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:16 pm So if we're following your logic, you'd have to accuse the RoR Team, why they didn't rebuild the warhammer client from the ground up, designed their own graphics, classes, etc?
Because we're preserving a game that no longer exists, for free, with no monetary income from the project. That alone should be enough reason not to trust anyone who steals.

People masquerade with good intentions, but given the shadiness of the individuals involved, you can probably expect favoritism and corruption to run rampant. I speak from experience, having had my work stolen before, that it is utterly insulting that someone would take your work, masquerade it off as their own blood, sweat, and tears. That happened to me once, when The Al'Kabor Project (an EverQuest emulator) had some rogue folks split off into a project named P2002 (a rip-off of TAKP). And what's worse, they gave their friends loot, items and currency and all the lead administrators actually played on the server's top guild, leaving their competition as second-rate players to them.

Anyone who steals from volunteers as a way of 'getting back for the common folk' against a 'tyrannical, not for profit administration' should look in the mirror and say, "Is what I am doing wrong?"

It is one thing to preserve a game that no longer exists, it is another thing to destroy a game's established community selfishly.

It's akin to stealing from the Red Cross and giving it to the Blue Shield. You wouldn't steal software from a non-for-profit and give it to another not-for-profit, especially when so many volunteers spend hours at the Red Cross to make said software.

One could argue that all not-for-profits should have the same software... but the problem with that is, there is an amount of pride in the work that the non-profits make, and often times they hire the services of individuals that work for-profit (server costs) out of their own goodwill. They went into their office, put a USB stick on a PC, and stole the code from us. The RoR team made, from ground up, a replica of the server code with thousands of man-hours, and their greed invalidated thousands of man hours for the sake of anger and vitriol. That's the big difference.

Glorian

Post#38 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:42 pm

GodlessCrom wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:37 pm
The second Server goes on and off and is currently active 24/7 since two days. So I doubt there is a measurable player drop right now.

Ads
anarchypark

Post#39 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:43 pm

darude83 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:16 pm So if we're following your logic, you'd have to accuse the RoR Team, why they didn't rebuild the warhammer client from the ground up, designed their own graphics, classes, etc?
so you think RoR is stolen project from mythic?
well, that's grey area.
however, this case is not grey.
it's betrayal and theft.
go read the books and grow some senses.
how the hell did you grow up not knowing theft.

and team!
there is a saying : a blessing in disguise.
hope it translated well. I googled it.
like you said it will suck banned ppl. and whiners.
ppl might finally understand how good this server is.

and i hope there is Excommunication in developer world.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#40 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:44 pm

Ah i see. I had heard about it last week, assumed it was up longer.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!